GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,391
2 members and 2,389 guests
oncegreek, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 10-13-2003, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
UK had the Baptist Student Union, CCC, Cats for Christ, the Catholic Newman Center. Tons of Greeks were involved in those. It was mainly CCC, but I'm sure there were members in other groups. There was even a program every Tuesday called The Rock, which was a Christian program specifically for Greeks. I never ran across any hostility, since so many members of these groups were in fraternities and sororities as well.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sfasammy
Hillel usually complements Sigma Alpha Mu, a historically Jewish fraternity. In fact, on some campuses, the Sammy house and the Hillel house are next door! Even though the latter began to accept non-Jews in the early '50s, the two organizations still have a pretty close relationship today.
Interesting. We didn't have Sammy (actually I think there used to be a chapter, that closed a long time ago) so obviously I didn't see this at my school.

AEPi and AEPhi did a certain amount of Jewish-oriented stuff... for instance, AEPi hosted a break-fast after Yom Kippur every year, open to all undergrads (the grad students did their own thing). The Orthodox wouldn't go.

In my day, the Orthodox pretty much ran Hillel, but as I said, that seems to be shifting.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Cats for Christ
I hope this is cats as in the hep-cat sense and not the 4-legged, mouse-chasing variety.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I hope this is cats as in the hep-cat sense and not the 4-legged, mouse-chasing variety.
Since AchtungBaby was talking about University of Kentucky, I assume it's cats as in Wildcats.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I think its Cats as in the Kentucky Wildcats...
Old 10-14-2003, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Are there Not Jesuit Colleges who have Greek Organizations
Yes, I go to one. We also had to ask a "Christian" group to leave campus because they were screaming at us for being Catholic sinners. That's the great thing about private schools - you can make stupid people go away!
Old 10-14-2003, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Hahahaha, I wish someone would say that to me.
Okay [referencing Kings of Comedy, for those who know] you are officially black right now, lol.

Yay ilk!
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 10-14-2003, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Yes, I go to one. We also had to ask a "Christian" group to leave campus because they were screaming at us for being Catholic sinners. That's the great thing about private schools - you can make stupid people go away!
Wow... I don't get the whole "Catholic sinners" attitude...which is a good thing I guess.

I went to a Christian university before I came to MTSU, and over a third of the campus was Greek. I can't imagine if the organizations or the students in general weren't Greek friendly - there would be hardly anyone to participate in anything.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
Wow... I don't get the whole "Catholic sinners" attitude...which is a good thing I guess.

I went to a Christian university before I came to MTSU, and over a third of the campus was Greek. I can't imagine if the organizations or the students in general weren't Greek friendly - there would be hardly anyone to participate in anything.
Marquette is very apathetic to Greek life...I actually joined at my last school, which was a state school. I just can't understand the people who are paying $20,000 in tuition to go to school here who complain about the Catholics everywhere. Right next to our Union is a building called the "Jesuit Residence" and there's two churches and about 8 chapels on campus. What did they think they were getting themselves into?
Old 10-14-2003, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Some people think Catholicism is a cult, and therefore not Christian.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Some Presbyterians are still at war with Catholics for some reason. They would have been right at home during the Protestant Reformation (which was funnily enough, more about politics than religion).

Good thing we aren't allowed to burn "heretics" anymore.

Quote:

It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 10-14-2003, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81
Since AchtungBaby was talking about University of Kentucky, I assume it's cats as in Wildcats.
You assume right!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

Hillel was another story - but I think that was mainly because a lot of the Orthodox Jews (who tended not to go greek) had some beef with the Reform Jews (who were more likely to go greek). I hear, though, that the pendulum has swung the other way and Hillel is making a concerted effort to reach out to Jewish greeks.
we haven't really had that problem with my chapter - we have orthodox jewish sisters (as does aepi, sdt and i think a couple of other glo's). hillel always invites the greeks to everything and they have a feed the homeless event that is supported by all the greeks - jewish and non-jewish alike!

as for the other religious organizations you don't really hear much about them - hillel kind of dominates, it has its own building and everything on our fairly small campus. newman club is small but i know one of the few kids who is/was active with them was in zbt.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AEPhiSierra
we haven't really had that problem with my chapter - we have orthodox jewish sisters (as does aepi, sdt and i think a couple of other glo's). hillel always invites the greeks to everything and they have a feed the homeless event that is supported by all the greeks - jewish and non-jewish alike!
we had two orthodox girls in my pledge class... it was actually really rough, and they complained when we had events on Friday nights or saturdays, and they refused to wear some Rush outfits because they involved pants. I feel kind of bad that we didnt get close with them, and one ultimately dropped after being initiated. On the whole, my sorority was probably 1/2 jewish when I joined, although it is less now. My family tree was Jewish going back a few years, until I took my two littles, they broke the tradition, haha.

as far as the campus-- we have a liberal, really diverse campus, so I dont think any particular religious group would influence the Greek system in any way. We didn't have any devout Christians in our chapter that I can recall (and most Christians were Catholic anyways). Our campus hates Greek life on the whole (even more this week if you've read the Sigma Pi thread) and I dont think that the Christian organizations necesarily encourage or discourage it. Hillel encourages it- active members of Hillel are in SDT, DG, AXO, Phi Delt, AEPi, among others. i dont know about Chabad, which is mostly Orthodox.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lovelyivy84
Some Presbyterians are still at war with Catholics for some reason. They would have been right at home during the Protestant Reformation (which was funnily enough, more about politics than religion).

Good thing we aren't allowed to burn "heretics" anymore.
The issue people have with Roman Catholicism is that it isn't Biblical. I don't mean to offend Catholics because most are only doing what they've been taught. And many Catholics are taught not to read the Bible for themselves.

That's the danger of religions-they are man-made junk. The Book of Revelation has letters to the seven churches, one of them the church of Rome (Catholicism). It talks of the offense God has with all the religious figureheads who lead people astray. It's not just Catholicism either. All churches fall short of what the Bible says, because human reasoning and ego get in the way. Catholicism is one of the more obvious targets because they are the biggest organization and their anti-Bible doctrine is so blatant. I could give you a laundry list of Catholic doctrine that is unbiblical ie (Matt 23:9 -Call no man Father (in context to religious figures) but God) If you want to learn the inside scoop on Catholicism and it's history, go to www.chick.com and get a the Alberto Series. An autiobiographical account of a former Jesuit priest , Alberto Riviera ,who exposes all corruption and un-Biblical doctrine in Catholocism.

Christ never said, make religions after me--He said, to follow his commandments, obey the Word of God and be disciples--i.e. examples of the Word.

Many of us Christians don't even know our own history. Here's a link as an example of the pagan origins of Easter. The information in this tract is supported by numerous historical documents including Josephus, the first century historian.

Pagan Origins of Easter

I'm not justifying the tactics and approach the Christians on campus may have taken, just giving some background why they believe Catholicism isn't Christian.

Oh, and don't believe that heretics aren't still being punished. Officials of the Roman Catholic Church are still actively punishing those opposed to their doctrine.It's going on in South American countries as we speak.

Last edited by BobraFCD; 10-14-2003 at 11:45 PM.