GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,168
3 members and 2,165 guests
oncegreek, Xidelt, Zae_TheCreator

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

A Very Merry 2014 Recruitment Story!

Thanks for taking the time to read my recruitment story! I went through fall formal recruitment a few months ago and I thought this would be a good time to share my experience. I have been lurking on this site for a long time and I have found past recruitment stories so helpful! Because it is the holiday season, I thought that a Christmas movie theme was very fitting! Here they are:

Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
Elf
Home Alone
The Santa Claus
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
Miracle on 34th Street
The Polar Express
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Because my high school sends several students to my University every year, I knew a handful of girls in about half of the houses. I also went into rush as a legacy—my mom was a member of The Grinch. I was so excited to visit each house and find one that was the perfect fit for me. During orientation, I got lots of good info and met my awesome rho gammas! I was totally ready to begin recruitment.

Round 1: Open House Day

The Polar Express: I knew several girls in The Polar Express from high school. I was super nervous! The first girl I talked to took me to a cute little table in the corner so it was nice and quiet. We totally hit it off right away! We skipped the normal small talk and talked about our summers and our mutual love for a music artist. We had so much in common and she made me feel so comfortable! I did not want her to leave, but I was passed off to a girl I knew from high school. We were never particularly close, but it was nice to catch up with her too. I really enjoyed my time here and I left thinking that I would love to return!

Miracle on 34th Street: The first girl I talked to was really sweet, but we didn’t have very much in common. We hard a hard time getting past small talk topics and there were a few awkward pauses. I was bumped to a girl who was a lot more talkative, and we seemed to click much more. We had a great talk about leadership positions and ways to get involved in the chapter. These girls are SO INVOLVED not just in their chapter, but all around campus, which is something that is really important to me! I wish I could’ve gotten to talk to this second girl more. I left with a good feeling and I want to go back.

The Santa Claus: Here I was taken to the dining room, which was totally beautiful, but soooooo loud. I had to yell into each girls’ ear even though I was only about six inches from her face! Every girl I talked to here was super sweet and easy to talk to, but I talked to 4 different girls here and because I was bumped so frequently none of my conversation ever got past normal small talk. I left this house not really knowing what to think of it, and I wanted to go back to get a better feel for it.

The Grinch: This was my legacy chapter! I talked to three girls at this house. The first two were very sweet but not very memorable. Our conversations were fine but they didn’t really stand out as anything spectacular. The third girl I talked to told me about all of the leadership positions they have in their chapter and about all the different kinds of events they have throughout the year. She was super informative and I enjoyed our conversation. I wanted to return here.

A Charlie Brown Christmas: I also knew several girls from high school in this chapter. The girl that picked me up at the door was super easy to talk to and fun! We chatted about our mutual clumsiness and people and places we know back home. A few other girls came up to chat with us and to say hi. One of the girls is in one of my classes, but she totally didn’t recognize me, or at least didn’t acknowledge that she did, and it was slightly awkward. I enjoyed my time here and the girls were very nice, but almost too nice, like in a fake way. I left wanting to go back to get a better feel for this house.

Elf: The girl who picked me up at the door here was actually a friend of a really close friend so we totally bonded over that right from the start! She was so genuine and easy to talk to. We chatted about pinterest and sisters and we exchanged random funny stories. She was so great and I didn’t want her to leave, but I was bumped to two other girls who were really great too. In each conversation I consistently got the feeling that these girls have a super tight sisterhood, and that is totally something that I want. I got great feelings from this house and I left really hoping that I would return!

Home Alone: The first girl I talked to was sweet, and we had a fun conversation about vacation spots and natural disasters. The second girl I talked to was so quiet, and the room was so loud, that I couldn’t hear a single word she said. She went on and on about something and I just smiled and nodded. The third girl I talked with was nice enough and I’m sure she had good intentions but said some things that kind of put me off. Like things you shouldn’t say during recruitment. I left this house with no burning desire to return.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The first conversation I had at this house was fine but nothing memorable. I honestly can’t remember what we talked about. The second girl I talked to told me all about all of the wonderful events they have throughout the year, and they have a ton! These girls seem super involved, which is awesome. I didn’t feel like I really hit it off with either girl here, but they were both nice and pleasant. I left feeling like I wouldn’t mind returning here.

A Christmas Story: I immediately clicked with the first girl I talked with. We chatted about Netflix shows and music and dorm life. I remember just laughing a ton while talking with her. I was sad when I got bumped, but the girl I was bumped to was just as great as she was! All of the girls in this house seemed like so much fun and I felt so comfortable and at home here. I left totally in love with this house and really hoping I would return!

Christmas Vacation: This house was extremely loud! I had a very hard time holding a conversation just because I had to keep shouting and repeating myself because the girls I talked to couldn’t hear me. I talked to two girls here, and I do not remember what we talked about at all. Both conversations were pleasant and fine but neither left a lasting impression in my mind. I left feeling like I wouldn’t mind returning, because I would like to get a better feel for this house, but at that point I wouldn’t have been devastated not to return, either.

We were to rank eight houses “1”, one house “2”, and one house “3.” A this point I had a pretty clear top three in A Christmas Story, Elf, and The Polar Express, in that order. These were the houses where I felt as though I made the strongest connections and where I felt most comfortable and at home. I also felt as though I had a very clear 2 and 3. But when it came to everything in between, I was completely lost. I’ve read so many of these rush stories, but I never grasped how hard it would be to get an impression of a house in less than half an hour. I felt very confused, but relieved I didn’t have to narrow it down to any less than 8. This is how I ranked:

1.The Polar Express
1. Miracle on 34th Street
1. The Santa Claus
1. The Grinch
1. A Charlie Brown Christmas
1. Elf
1. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
1. A Christmas Story
2. Christmas Vacation
3. Home Alone

I returned to my room completely exhausted. My roommate, who was also rushing, was already back. We chatted about our experiences from round 1. Her favorites were The Santa Claus, Elf, and A Christmas Story. Stay tuned for round 2!