GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,283
0 members and 1,283 guests
No Members online

Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice for a pledge

Ok im a freshman at a northwestern school and i had decided to rush and ended up pledging a fraternity this semester. Anyway it is getting close to the end and i find out that i will not be initiated this semester and have been offered to continue my pledging (i.e. restart being a pledge again next semester and repeat everything) or dropping all together.

Ive been struggling for the last few days since i find out and am just lost at what to do. I thought i was doing good i did everything asked, hang around a bunch, aceing pledge education materials so it was a shock to find out a few weeks before initiation that i won't be initiated with my pledge brothers.

Im just looking for advice and what other peoples take on the situation is. I like the fraternity and thought everything was in sync. I just dont know if i want to go through pledging again just to been crushed right before initiation.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb1990 View Post
I thought i was doing good i did everything asked, hang around a bunch, aceing pledge education materials so it was a shock to find out a few weeks before initiation that i won't be initiated with my pledge brothers.
If you were doing so well, why did the chapter decide not to initiate you? Were you given any kind of reason?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb1990 View Post
I thought i was doing good i did everything asked, hang around a bunch, aceing pledge education materials so it was a shock to find out a few weeks before initiation that i won't be initiated with my pledge brothers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
If you were doing so well, why did the chapter decide not to initiate you? Were you given any kind of reason?
Yea, this makes no sense. I would think they'd have to give you a reason. Especially if they're a national organization. To just tell you, "Sorry, wait until next semester," out of left field, probably wouldn't go over well.

On the other hand, if this is a local fraternity, they can pretty much do what they like. But if what you're saying is true and you were doing ok, why would they hold you over? Making you go back through the program again makes no sense.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-14-2008, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

If this is a NIC fraternity then they are definitely going against rules by forcing you to pledge again, you should talk to your chapter adviser and if that doesn't work you should contact nationals.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Are grades a factor?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuChad View Post
Are grades a factor?
that's exactly what I was thinking
Old 11-15-2008, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Langox510x Send a message via Yahoo to Langox510x
Honestly if that ever happened to me I don't think I would re-pledge and I don't think you should for this organization either. I think you should go back and ask them for a clear answer as to why they didn’t want to initiate you, and maybe consider going with an organization that better suits what you want.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe they don't really want you in the chapter anymore and are trying to give you a way out so they don't have to officially depledge you.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

All of the posters ask valid questions and two things come to mind.

If grades are a factor, then there is no recourse, and if they are not then he should talk with his big brother to see what the problem is. If it was something other than grades, then he should rethink about going through an entire peldgeship again.