GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,189
1 members and 2,188 guests
Xidelt

Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM

Tri Sigma + AFA 2010: Sigmas serving/being honored in Phoenix (press release from HQ)

Tri Sigma Commits Time, Talent and Treasure to AFA Annual Meeting Renews commitment to professional development through partnership

WOODSTOCK, VA - November 15, 2010 - Sigma Sigma Sigma ("Tri Sigma") National Sorority continues a long-standing commitment to the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors ("AFA"). Tri Sigma believes the focused attention to the fraternal values movement is essential to help all member organizations maintain relevance, especially considering the most recent call for values congruence in all values-based organizations. Tri Sigma was founded in Longwood, VA, as a part of the "Farmville Four" - a group of sororities founded at the State Female Normal School, now Longwood University.

Tri Sigma continues to demonstrate commitment to higher education by supporting AFA, an organization focused on professional development and dialogue around the fraternal movement. To support the emerging professionals in the field, in 2009, Tri Sigma made a $10,000 commitment to the AFA Foundation to support scholarships for Fraternity and Sorority life professionals.

Laura Ward Sweet, immediate past National President of Tri Sigma, will be honored at the Closing Banquet on Saturday, December 4, as one of five recipients of the 2010 Sue Kraft Fussell Distinguished Service Award.

Kelly Jo Karnes, the current AFA President, will preside over all proceedings and serves as an ex-officio member of the AFA Foundation.

Tri Sigma has six members serving in various volunteer capacities throughout the 2010 Annual Meeting:

Kelly Jo Karnes (Pi) - 2010 AFA President. She is also Associate Director of Student Life at the University of Iowa.

Kara Miller (Epsilon Delta) - 2010 AFA Annual Meeting Volunteer Coordinator - She is also the Assistant Dean of Students in the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Affairs at Cornell University.

Lauren Moran (Gamma Rho) - 2010 AFA Graduate Staff Coord. She is also Tri Sigma's Director of Alumnae and Volunteer Services.

Kathleen R. Gillan (Alpha Zeta)- AFA First 90 Days Program Committee. She is also the Assistant Director of Greek Affairs at The University of Alabama.

Allison Swick-Duttine (Psi) - AFA Graduate Staff Selection Committee. She also serves as the Director of Fraternity/Sorority Life & Organization Development at SUNY-Plattsburg. She is also a member of Tri Sigma's Executive Council.

Bethany Deines (Beta Kappa) - AFA Programs Review Committee. She is also a member of Tri Sigma's Executive Council.

Tri Sigma also has a number of volunteers and staff members serving as conference presenters:

Mary-Kate Lobaugh (Alpha Psi): "Giving Potential New Members the Pre-Recruitment Education They Really Need During Panhellenic Formal Recruitment"

Allison Swick-Duttine (Psi): "The Monster in the Basement: Unrecognized Groups and Their Threat to Interfraternalism."

Presenting with: Judge Mitch Crane, CAMPUSPEAK, Inc., Dave Westol,
Limberlost Consulting, and David Stollman, CAMPUSPEAK, Inc.

Cori Gilbert Wallace (Delta Gamma Fraternity and Tri Sigma staff): "Our Cross-Council Conversation: How A Delta and a DG Investigated Cultural Identity Through Honest Dialogue About Affiliation Choice."

Presenting with: Latorria Griffith - Assistant Director of Greek Life and Student Involvement, Hanover College.

We are also proud to have a number of former AFA Award Recipients:

Allison Swick-Duttine - 2007 Distinguished Service Award
Bethany Deines - 2007 Distinguished Service Award
Angie Carr Robinett (Alpha Omicron) -2003 Distinguished Service Award
Kaye Schendel (Gamma Lambda & current National President)- 2001 Distinguished Service Award

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I <3 Kelly Jo Karnes! I had no idea she was AFA president when I met her though!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM

^^^EVERYONE loves Kelly Jo!

She was the keynote speaker at our Panhellenic Luncheon at Convention. She's also hilarious.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll never forget when I met Kelly Jo Karnes at a regional conference. I was introduced to her as a Tri Sigma, and she yelled, "LITTLE SISTER! AWW!" THen hugged me for a full minute straight.

On a side note, I am SOOOO grateful for Cori Wallace on our staff. She brings incredible perspective and is a great complement. Thanks for letting us borrow her, DG!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 PM

I haven't actually MET Cori (pretty sure we hired her after Convention) but I have been working with her long distance on Triangle stuff (since she's in our Mktg department) and she seems like a cool person.

PS. This thread inspired me to change my sig (to a Kelly Jo quotation!)

Lakers Nation.