GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,353
1 members and 2,352 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 07-19-2000, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Not possible to be greek and christian

The author of the book "Coming Apart at the Seams" is a denounced Que (to my knowledge) and his book discuss' the evils of greek sororities and fraternities--and how it is not possible to be greek and christian....

check out the site: http://members.xoom.com/hatchettfl/

how do you feel?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2000, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Thumbs down

I believe it is possible to be a Christian and be in a Greek Organization. If I didn't think so, I wouldn't be in mine. (I'm willing to bet that statement applies to 90% of all people in greek organizations.)

Good Ole Fred Hatchett, he used to menace this site a little while ago. He also sends people harrasing emails about their affiliations. If you click on "Express your concerns about greek organizations" it brings you here to GreekChat. We talked about his views on the NPHC listserv and half of the scriptures he quotes have nothing to do with what he says they do!

ZetaAce
Old 07-19-2000, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Preppie- The author has been involved in a greek organization. He used to be a member of Omega Psi Phi but he depledged.

ZetaAce
Old 07-19-2000, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I am not greek so I do not know everything that it entails. I do know that only God can ever question my religious beliefs.
Old 07-19-2000, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

So THIS is the Fred you "old-time" posters refer to!

Personally, I see NO more conflict between being Christian and a member of a GLO than say a conflict between being Christian and a member of the Girl Scouts, the city council or anything like that.

The sad thing is that some people will believe people like him and put negative pressure on others.
Old 07-19-2000, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Well said prettygYrl and BFulton!
Old 07-19-2000, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to read this book, but don't want to support its cause. Plus it looks to me like it's just something that is typed and copied, and he's charging $30 with shipping for it! Is TKE the only GLO on the cover that isn't a BGLO, or is ADPi also? Has anyone read this book? I'm curious about it, considering well over half my chapter, and the principles the fraternity was founded on contradict his statements.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.

[This message has been edited by Corbin Dallas (edited July 19, 2000).]
Old 07-19-2000, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I have read a book like his, not by hima and basically what they do is twist the words of our founders and the words of our hyms and oaths to seem as if we are the devil incarnate this is basically what I had to say about it on the SGRho post, I'll just paste it here

"Although, at first I was going to steer away from this topic, I have decided to respond. I have heard these things
before and I can remember when I had decided to become a member of SGRho, my boss who I then found out was
a member of *** (It is not my place to name his org.) told me about how he denouced his membership because he
felt that you could not "swear" allegiuance to something other than GOd.

Now I am a God-fearing Christian and believe me I ccould understand where he was coming from, if I believed that
in any way that being a member of Sigma Gamma Rho was putting my sorority before God. Yes, there are oaths and
rituals in becoming a part of a Greek org. But they are not rituals that take away from the Lord in my opinion, I feell
as if we are asking for the Lord guidance and help in all we do.
(I'll stopp now on that part before I get to in-depth)

But my point is that in elementary school everyday you stood up and said "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
United States of America"

Police officer and doctors and lawyers take oaths, so what is the big difference that makes s Greeks ungodly for
caring and loving our organizations. I will never put ( and I believe I can speak for all my Greek Christians) anyone
or thing before God. and I really feel as if books like that, I have read a few of them too, twist and tear at the
foundation and ideas of our orgs until they can change them to mean what ever they want to mean

My chapter is centered around the Lord we go to church together and on many ocacassions as soon as I have a
problem the first thing I hear is "pray about it"
Besides a Chapter that prays together stays together""

That's my 22 cents

[This message has been edited by blu_theatrics (edited July 19, 2000).]
Old 07-19-2000, 11:29 PM
Baylorbear

I attend the largest private Baptist university in the world, which contains twelve national sororities, and something like 13 IFC fraternities. Needless to say, there are alot of great Christian kids here that are involved in Greek life, in fact it is a really big community on my campus. If Baylor felt that Greek organizations were detrimental to the spiritual life of their students, believe me, we wouldn't have them. (everyone has heard of the Southern Baptist Convention, I'm sure???) Anyway, I hate to think that the guy who published this book is voting in the next presidential election if he is so quick to make such hasty generalizations.
I see some of his points, and it is nothing I have not heard before. I think that if anything, most Greek organizations, or at least mine, have strengthened my spiritual life more than anything. It is a chance to fellowship with other Christians, and learn a respect for other religions.
This guy must have alot of time on his hands if he can write a whole novel based on sorority and fraternity kids who are trying to get through college, make good grades, and have a good time. I think he needs to give us a break, and spend time doing something else to enlighten the world, rather than ridiculing other people's spiritual lives. After all, God is the only judge.
"Do not judge lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1,2
Old 07-20-2000, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LikeASista
Angry

Alright, listen. (And excuse any typos, because I'm getting ready to vent.)

Everyone keeps saying Fred Hatchett WAS a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity who simply "depledged." To be honest, I don't believe he is (or was) a member of ANY greek organization. He has vowed to EXPOSE all the secrecy of these greek organizations, but not ONCE has he devulged anything within the realms of Omega Psi Phi, and I doubt seriously if he WILL, since he wouldn't KNOW anything about them. Everything he has he mentioned about greek organizations are no more than speculations of the symbols which are already public (e.g. shield symbols, etc).

For one to say that greeks cannot be Christian is like saying Americans cannot be Christian. When we place our right hands over our hearts to sing the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag, are we worshipping an idol god? No. It is simply a SYMBOL. When our own government has Top Secret files which can only be viewed by priviledged individuals, does that mean the country is going to hell? No. Every society has a sub society that has to have something which binds them. It doesn't make it bad just because it's secret. And it doesn't make it necessarily SECRET just because it's PRIVATE.

------------------
No weapon formed against me shall prosper, for I am a child of the Most High God, Who sits upon the Throne of Grace, and rules all Heaven and Earth.
Old 07-20-2000, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LikeASista:
He has vowed to EXPOSE all the secrecy of these greek organizations, but not ONCE has he devulged anything within the realms of Omega Psi Phi, and I doubt seriously if he WILL, since he wouldn't KNOW anything about them.
He really is a member of Omega, he has a copy of his membership card in his book. (According to someone who has seen a copy of it.)

ZetaAce
Old 07-20-2000, 01:31 PM
RHOyal Silence

Cool

i believe that a person can be a Greek and a Christian for the simple fact that i am a born again Christian. i joined my sorority after i was saved. and i believe that God placed me in my sorority for his purpose. i prayed for direction and this is the path He chose for me. So i disagree with the what the author of the book is saying.
Old 07-20-2000, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you RHOyal Silence! I am a Christian woman as well and prayed over joing SGRho before I actually did it. I knew if it was Gods will to allow me in this sorority, then it woud happen-and it did
Old 07-21-2000, 12:47 AM
alphaeps

Thumbs up

i completely agree wit you blu_theatrics!! You took the words out of my mouth.
the only way an organization or anything for that matter that can be considered wrong by christians is if it takes presidence over your religion and GOD and it causes you to act incorrectly when you know its against your religion.I do believe that the author might be trying to expose the the wrong part of the greek life and that is hazing. no body should be mistreated for the sake of anybody. I am not tryng to say that everybody hazes, but to some organizations beating someone in during initiation is mandatory and i don't see how that could be considered very christian.
Old 07-21-2000, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorors RHOyal Silence and Rhoyal Blue,

I too prayed over my decision to join, because I figured if it was meant to be, it'd be... and everything pointed me toward joining SGRho, so I went for it.

I think it is completely ridiculous for anyone to accuse BGLO's of being un-Christian. What place is it of Fred to tell me how Christian or un-Christian I am? Who made him the "holy authority?"