GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,163
3 members and 1,160 guests
John, LaneSig

Old 12-02-2005, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by KatieKate1244
Oooohhh, I want to see one now! (I wonder if my school has the DZ laying around...)
They might. Schools usually save them for reference but if it's been a while, it may be in File 13.

Last edited by aopirose; 12-02-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone heard anything about who applied at CMU or who was selected to present?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

which one?

Central Michigan U?
Central Missouri U?
Central Montana U?
Central Methodist U?
Did Zeta Psi colonize at Bob Jones?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Erik, check the beginning of the thread. It's:

Carnegie Mellon
Old 12-20-2005, 06:02 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks, NutBrn

Thanks for clearing up the CMU question. I always enjoy hearing
from Chi O's!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe they used to have AEPhi there but I could be wrong. I got a piece of mail from them for my old landlady and she went to CMU.

I haven't been on here in a while, you can put away the tissues for today!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by fire1977
I believe they used to have AEPhi there but I could be wrong. I got a piece of mail from them for my old landlady and she went to CMU.

I haven't been on here in a while, you can put away the tissues for today!
Hey, we missed you something fierce!! Maybe there's some time next week for a Burgh get-together?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MFC2002
Has anyone heard anything about who applied at CMU or who was selected to present?
I heard rumor Phi Sig is submitting.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The local at CMU was formerly a Chi Omega chapter. The chapter disbanded due to #s and the local was formed

My old GA was in the Chi O chapter at CMU. They closed over the summer, and just sent a letter to the alums after the fact. I remember she was pretty upset over it. However, its one of those things where the alums are upset but when I talked to her more she was one of 2 people in her pledge class to get initiated....so the closing probably shouldn't have come as a surprise.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a bit older and was in in one of the other 4 houses at CMU. At my time in the late 80s, Chi O did suffer very weak numbers which was really a shame.
Since then all the national houses have gotten quite large. The other 4 houses alphabetically are DDD, DG, KAT and KKG. I think CMU should only choose a really strong national such as PiPhi over KD which is not as big in the Northeast.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alum
I think CMU should only choose a really strong national such as PiPhi over KD which is not as big in the Northeast.
Why? If you're going to say something like that, give some reasoning to back it up. CMU is the perfect campus for ANY NPC to colonize on because any group would have a pretty fair chance. It wouldn't take a lot of money and it's a pretty low key greek school.

Since you named PiPhi, why would they be a good choice as opposed to anyone else? They have one chapter nearby- at Washington & Jefferson. There's not a big of an alumnae base as some other orgs that could potentially colonize there. They also have roughly the same amount of chapters in the Northeast.

I'm certainly not picking on PiPhi, but if you're going to name two groups like this, give some reasoning to back it up.

ChiO is a huge national org with a lot of chapters in the vicinity, yet they didn't make it. The size of the org nationally really doesn't have much of an effect at schools where greek life isn't like a huge deal.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

The majority of women at CMU are extremely focused and career-minded. The university will want an organization that has a strong national reputation to provide networking sources for their graduates in addition to the CMU alumni associations.

The rushees (prospective members) are by far not all freshman, many don't know about references and legacies, and they can pretty much get into the house they want. If a student does not get her top house she won't have worry about making an error in joining any group because even if the chapter isn't "good" the national level is incomparable.

Look at all the Ivy League and other schools like MIT etc. These academic powerhouses are all somewhat hesitant about greek life (a bias on their part) and thus tend to only allow chapters with very strong national reputations.

As a CMU Greek, I would like to see Pi Phi because of their reputation. We need to have a national that has the resources tol truly support their colony and young chapter.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by alum

As a CMU Greek, I would like to see Pi Phi because of their reputation. We need to have a national that has the resources tol truly support their colony and young chapter.
Oh please. Yes, Pi Phi is strong nationally, but I can think of many other NPCs who would love to colonize at CMU for the reasons kddani previously stated.

I really hate how your statements are giving off that "the other NPC sororities aren't good enough for CMU" vibe.

But whatever.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Oh please. Yes, Pi Phi is strong nationally, but I can think of many other NPCs who would love to colonize at CMU for the reasons kddani previously stated.

I really hate how your statements are giving off that "the other NPC sororities aren't good enough for CMU" vibe.

But whatever.
Thanks, Sandy. Alum, you may not mean it that way, but your posts are coming off very anti-everyone else. And why the anti-KD sentiment? Why did you name KD specifically? BTW, for your information, KD has more alumnae associations than any other NPC group.

Pi Phi may not even want to apply to CMU. There are plenty of groups that would do very well at CMU. Pi Phi isn't strong or well-known in this area at all, either. All groups have areas of the country where they are stronger or weaker. All groups have have strong and weak chapters. And not every chapter at CMU is super.

Also, from what I know of CMU, you're certainly looking at the greek system through rose-colored glasses. One of my best friends advises one of the sororities there, and I went to school down the street so i'm fairly familiar with it.

None of the groups there are "incomparable" on a national level. You have a lot to learn about being panhellenic. Every group has their strengths and weaknesses. I could easily point out the weaknesses of many of the groups that are already there, but what is the point?

I don't know if you got a lump of coal in your stocking from a KD or what, or if a Pi Phi gave you a great gift or something.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

OTW, kddani, you both make great points. I have no idea who alum is, or what she does or doesn't know. I just know that what she's saying is NOT what I've heard. I have nothing against Pi Phi, but when there are 26 NPC sororities, and 22 left to choose from, I'm not sure how any one person can select ONE sorority over all the others, without presentations and such.