GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,326
2 members and 2,324 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman

Old 09-02-2004, 09:42 PM
ADPiZXalum

Teaching

Are there any young/new/first year teachers out there? This is my first year and I'm looking for some ideas and dos and don'ts!!
I am really loving it so far, I have 10th graders and they are a lot of fun. I know I'm crazy!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-03-2004, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cntryZTA5
This is my second year teaching. I teach 10th grade World History.

How are things going for you so far? What subject are you teaching?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
2nd year starts on Tuesday with a teacher work week. This will be my first year teaching Pre-K! My Bronx kids are so cute
Old 09-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMich
2nd year starts on Tuesday with a teacher work week. This will be my first year teaching Pre-K! My Bronx kids are so cute
Hey want to create a blog with anonymous funny entries like tard-blog.com?

-Rudey
--We'll make millions
Old 09-03-2004, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
I start my yearlong internship on Tuesday. We have work out of the buttocks, so please pray for me. I dunno how I'm going to make it!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Hey want to create a blog with anonymous funny entries like tard-blog.com?

-Rudey
--We'll make millions
Two people living in different big cities with two different careers...that'd be a funny blog. I'd do it if you set it up.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:35 PM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
Originally posted by cntryZTA5
This is my second year teaching. I teach 10th grade World History.

How are things going for you so far? What subject are you teaching?
I'm teaching 10th grade world history too!!!! Crazy!! THis is my first year and my internship, so I'm soooooooooo busy. I'm coaching as well so I get NO sleep!!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

If there is any advice I can impart to new teachers it's definitely to schedule personal time for yourself. As ridiculous as it sounds, do it, because as teachers we are always thinking about the one more thing we could do for our lessons, etc... I didn't learn that until my second year and at the end of my first year I wasn't sure I wanted to continue. I've only been teaching at the high school level for 4 years now (2 years at the university level) and it's something I recommend to all new teachers. If anyone needs any advice or needs to blow off some new teacher steam feel free to pm me. I remember what it was like...and it's still kinda like that.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AWJDZ
This is my fourth year teaching middle school. I also coach 2 sports and I am pursuing my National Board Certification this year. All I can offer is have an open mind about everything (co-workers, students, new techniques, "worthless workshops") and manage your time wisely. Also, remember, there is life outside of the classroom! I know my non-teacher friends get tired of hearing about groupwises, AR, lesson plans, grading, etc. I make it a point to not talk so much about it to my boyfriend...its bad enough its almost all I think about sometimes, I don't have to let everyone else endure it also! Be creative, ther are lots of good (and beware, lots of bad ones too!) internet sites with lesson plans and activities on them. If you need anything, or just want to vent, PM me!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
teaching

This is my first year teaching in a public school system--before that, I taught only in private schools for 8 years. I'm dual certified in English and History Ed. and have taught grades 7-12. I've taught TONS of social studies and English classes--I'll be more than happy to help out.

PM me.

Cheryl
Old 09-04-2004, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cntryZTA5
Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiZXalum
I'm teaching 10th grade world history too!!!! Crazy!! THis is my first year and my internship, so I'm soooooooooo busy. I'm coaching as well so I get NO sleep!!
I know exactly what you mean....I'm coaching as well! What sport are you coaching? I'm the JV girls volleyball coach.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I started my teaching credential program this past week, multiple subject!
Old 09-04-2004, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
What fields are you doing your internship in? Good luck, and I'll be happy to help in any way I can!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
My best advice to teachers in a new building is to eat lunch with other teachers! Don't just hole up in your room all the time grading papers-- go to the staff cafe or work room or to some place where the other teachers eat. You'll get to know people in other grades and fields, and it's a great time to get advice or updates on how your school runs.

Make sure to schedule time for yourself after school, on weekends, and during the school day.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kateshort
My best advice to teachers in a new building is to eat lunch with other teachers! Don't just hole up in your room all the time grading papers-- go to the staff cafe or work room or to some place where the other teachers eat. You'll get to know people in other grades and fields, and it's a great time to get advice or updates on how your school runs.

Make sure to schedule time for yourself after school, on weekends, and during the school day.
While I totally agree, it's so important to recognize as well who the negative people on your staff are and to stay clear of them. Sometimes they bring other people into the negative vibes, and that will just bring you down. Make friends with the other new teachers, they will feel just as overwhelmed as you and could probably use some friends. While I am no longer the "new" teacher, this is only my 4th year, I have made friends with a lot of the newer teachers and we go out on Fridays for happy hour, just because they know what it's like to be in the classroom.

A lot of my non-teacher friends think my job is a cake-walk,(HAHAHA!) and thus don't understand my frustration some days, so it helps to have an outlet that is just "for teachers". There are some great resources out there, check out www.teachers.net there are chatboards for teachers and a lot of people have the same problems and it's nice to know there are other people in your boat. Successful school year to all of you out there!