GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,916
0 members and 1,916 guests
No Members online

Old 05-27-2006, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this thread from the past!!

It was interesting reading about some of you guys' paranormal experiences. So, I thought it would be cool to keep the conversation going.

I personally, haven't had any experiences, but I do really love that show on SciFi Ghost Hunters. Any of you guys seen it?? Its pretty interesting...
Old 05-27-2006, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE the show Ghost Hunters. Some of those scare the living daylights out of me! Hearing the voices they catch on the EVP is what really pushes me over the edge.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sitting here alone in the house and thinking about something that happened several months ago. (Probably because I just read the new book by the Ghost Hunters.)I was on the computer and our daughter's dog started yapping in the kitchen. He kept it up for several minutes and finally I went in there. A huge bag of cereal was very slowly being pushed out of the cupboard. I watched, openmouthed, as it inched its way out and finally fell. The dog started running around the room in a circle, looking up and yapping happily, as if he were chasing Peeves the Poltergeist around the ceiling.

I leapt up and looked in the cabinet to see if a cat or anything (please! let us have a mouse just this once!) could have pushed it but there was nothing there. I picked up the bag to see if maybe a string was tied to it, although I was alone, but no. The thing is that only about a fourth of the bag was hanging over the edge when I first saw it moving out. It didn't fall until gravity pulled it down..it had to have been pushed or pulled in some way.

Last edited by carnation; 02-17-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

TTT!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
TTT!
I don't know what that means but that story about the cereal box is FREAKY!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

It means 'bump'! To the top!

Yeah, I got out of the house really quickly after that happened. It's the kind of thing that others would hear and say, "You imagined it," but I was THERE and saw the whole thing slowly unfold.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Have any of you ever been to George Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estates? If you haven't, you should add that to your to-do list because it's absolutely huge and beautiful. People come from all over the world to visit Biltmore.

Anyway, I had a creepy feeling the entire time I was in the house. Walking around the old servant quarters made me feel like there HAVE to be spirits from the past.

Sooooo...me being someone who is lightweight obsessed with the paranormal...I found a groundskeeper to talk to about it. He told me that his sister can see and talk to spirits but absolutely REFUSES to go around one of the garden houses (or whatever it is called) because there's some strong, evil entity there. He said some people had experienced some wierd things around the garden houses but he hadn't told his sister about those experiences. She knew to stay away from those garden houses without having been told what was going on there.

Then he said that years prior, an employee was closing up for the evening. When he was about to leave one of the many lounging rooms in the Estate house, he heard "leave me." Well, he was the only person there and the voice had a very late19th-early20th century tone. "Leave me" is something they said to their servants.

Needless to say, I am intrigued by Biltmore and will definitely visit again and again and again. It's an absolutely beautiful experience. Even if there are spirits and stuff hanging around.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 02-17-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Have any of you ever been to George Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estates? If you haven't, you should add that to your to-do list because it's absolutely huge and beautiful. People come from all over the world to visit Biltmore.

Anyway, I had a creepy feeling the entire time I was in the house. Walking around the old servant quarters made me feel like there HAVE to be spirits from the past.

Sooooo...me being someone who is lightweight obsessed with the paranormal...I found a groundskeeper to talk to about it. He told me that his sister can see and talk to spirits but absolutely REFUSES to go around one of the garden houses (or whatever it is called) because there's some strong, evil entity there. He said some people had experienced some wierd things around the garden houses but he hadn't told his sister about those experiences. She knew to stay away from those garden houses without having been told what was going on there.

Then he said that years prior, an employee was closing up for the evening. When he was about to leave one of the many lounging rooms in the Estate house, he heard "leave me." Well, he was the only person there and the voice had a very late19th-early20th century tone. "Leave me" is something they said to their servants.

Needless to say, I am intrigued by Biltmore and will definitely visit again and again and again. It's an absolutely beautiful experience. Even if there are spirits and stuff hanging around.

I have been to the Biltmore Estate. I too recommend it. I also recommend a visit to their winery! I didnt have a "spooky" experience there but it reminds me of those castles and places they profile on that "Most Haunted" show on the Travel Channel.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
It means 'bump'! To the top!

Yeah, I got out of the house really quickly after that happened. It's the kind of thing that others would hear and say, "You imagined it," but I was THERE and saw the whole thing slowly unfold.
It's so funny that you bumped this because I was just about to.

It's been raining off and on lately and yesterday the boy decided to take us on a drive up Nuuanu Pali Drive. I don't know if you remember it, but the place is absolutely gorgeous during the day, especially after the rain...because you get great views of the waterfalls along the mountain.

And then the boy decided to take us down the Old Pali Road. Normally I'd be down for it....DURING THE DAY. It was already approaching 7PM and by that time it was dark. He couldn't understand why I was making a big deal about NOT GOING even though I told him of the stories. (He's from Michigan. He doesn't know local lore.)

We went anyway and my chest felt heavy -- as if someone was stepping on it. I burst into tears because he refused to turn around. Luckily he did. There was NWIH I was going to be at Morgan's Corner at night!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
I have been to the Biltmore Estate. I too recommend it. I also recommend a visit to their winery! I didnt have a "spooky" experience there but it reminds me of those castles and places they profile on that "Most Haunted" show on the Travel Channel.
I loved the winery! Their nonalcoholic juices are also good. The free samples are grrrrrrreat.

Their samples of wine are the cheaper wines. You have to buy the more expensive wines to truly get the Biltmore wine experience.

Ditto on the rest of your post.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Ahh! Ghost stories scare the crap out of me, but I totally believe them. I haven't experienced anything firsthand that's SOLID proof, but I don't doubt their existence.

My mom and I have experienced some semi-psychic things (or whatever you want to call them). She told me that one time she thought about the pastor who baptized me, even though she hadn't seen him in years. I guess he died a few hours before she had that thought.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I guess I will add my contribution:

My company is located in our city's old Union train station that was built in the early 1900's. When we moved into the building we kept pretty much all of the original history and architecture of the building - it still has the old Fred Havey cafe, waiting room seats, and train platforms outside. The building was built so that you could get natural daylight in all parts of the building so there are glass walls everywhere and its basically laid out as a circle - You can literally see from one end of the building to another. So this means that its pretty difficult to hide or sneak up on anyone.

Anyway, one night I was working late and as I was plugging away on the computer, I heard someone say "Tara, are you doing ok?" So I get up and walk outside of my office unto the main balcony/hallway and see no one there. I walked around the entire attrium and didn't see anyone else there. Needless to say, I packed up and went home for the evening.

This has happened to me twice. I know others have had various experiences in the building as well, such as hearing 1940's music playing faintly in the background or doors opened (when shut) and vice versa.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It was 1990 and I was in college, the second summer session. It was a Friday, and my Western Civ I class was meeting (for some reason) in the library that day. It was around 10:30 that morning (Texas time) when I got the strange feeling that my grandparents, who lived in San Diego, were going to call me that evening. It was strange because they always called me on Monday nights.

A bit of backstory - my grandfather was at this point dying of cancer. My mom had come up between summer sessions to let me know he had been given six months to live. My grandfather was/is my hero; my oldest son, born in 1997, has his name. I was supposed to go out there between Summer II and Fall semesters and spend some time with him and my grandmother (he didn't want me to interrupt my school to come out and see him before the break - I have always regretted that I did not do so).

Anyway, I continued with class, and afterward,went to my job as a lifeguard at the campus pool. After work, I was on the phone chatting with my upstairs neighbor, talking about where we wanted to go for dinner that night after I took my shower and such.

All of a sudden, the phone beeped (I lived in a campus apartment and we didn't have call waiting). I told Kristina to hold on and I answered the phone. It was UPD (University Police Department) telling me I needed to call home immediately. I knew right then and there.

My grandfather had passed away that morning, 7:30 San Diego time, 10:30 Texas time. I firmly believe that when I was in class that morning, my grandfather was trying to tell me he had passed.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by catiebug View Post
It was 1990 and I was in college, the second summer session. It was a Friday, and my Western Civ I class was meeting (for some reason) in the library that day. It was around 10:30 that morning (Texas time) when I got the strange feeling that my grandparents, who lived in San Diego, were going to call me that evening. It was strange because they always called me on Monday nights.

A bit of backstory - my grandfather was at this point dying of cancer. My mom had come up between summer sessions to let me know he had been given six months to live. My grandfather was/is my hero; my oldest son, born in 1997, has his name. I was supposed to go out there between Summer II and Fall semesters and spend some time with him and my grandmother (he didn't want me to interrupt my school to come out and see him before the break - I have always regretted that I did not do so).

Anyway, I continued with class, and afterward,went to my job as a lifeguard at the campus pool. After work, I was on the phone chatting with my upstairs neighbor, talking about where we wanted to go for dinner that night after I took my shower and such.

All of a sudden, the phone beeped (I lived in a campus apartment and we didn't have call waiting). I told Kristina to hold on and I answered the phone. It was UPD (University Police Department) telling me I needed to call home immediately. I knew right then and there.

My grandfather had passed away that morning, 7:30 San Diego time, 10:30 Texas time. I firmly believe that when I was in class that morning, my grandfather was trying to tell me he had passed.

I had a similar experience when my grandmother passed away. I woke up (as did many other of my cousins) about the same time she had passed away in the middle of the night. My boyfriend at the time was all sorts of confused as to why I was rambling at that time of the morning (it was around 1 am). I found out that next night while at work.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I the only one who watches the paranormal show on A&E?

I love this show. Even if it isn't the most impressive "ghost chasers" show on TV, the older "ghost whisperer" dude with the twang and earrings always cracks me up with his speech and mannerisms.

They are using a new tool called Frank's Box that is considered a telephone to the dead. Woohoo!