GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,184
1 members and 2,183 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpLegacy View Post
Once again, thank you for the support. I really plan on just getting out and going to school. I will be 24 when I get back to school. Is age frowned upon?
I think it is very likely that as long as you are otherwise a good fit for a given chapter, your ROTC participiation will be seen as a plus.

However, your age is definitely going to raise a lot of questions.

Kansas is a large state school and while not as competitive as some Greek systems, it is definitely a place where upper tier fraternities have a lot of incoming freshmen who want to be members.

There is not the time or money to get to know each individual to the degree that would be perfect- and so there have to be some arbitrary ways in which to automatically cut down on the candidates to be considered.

For fraternities- ability to pay dues, age/class level and GPA are (in my experience) the most commonly considered arbitrary measures used to cut down on the list of candidates. Such factors can also keep an otherwise ideal candidate from being offered a bid since there are other ideal candidates who meet all those criteria.

Going into rush before you meet guys in the various chapters, anyone who sees your info in advance is going to logically wonder if a 24 year old is going to be willing and able to go through pledgeship and have people 5 years younger than him dictating his personal schedule for a period of time. I am not talking about hazing here- but about suddenly leaving adult life and putting yourself in a situation where people younger than you are going to require your attendance and participation in the chapter.

They will also wonder if you are really going to stick around and pay dues for the full 4 years. No fraternity is going to take a chance on someone who has a good chance of not staying all 4 years when they have another good candidate who will stay and pay dues all 4 years.

And some will be concerned about the reaction of sororities to a 24 year old pledge mingling with much younger women at mixers. I kid you not- this came up years ago at my chapter when a few guys wanted to pledge someone who was 22 and an incoming freshman.

However, all is not lost.

I think anyone would have to agree the above questions are logical concerns of a fraternity who comes across a 24 year old rush candidate.

But all of those concerns can be put to rest if a given chapter knows you well before the rush process and has decided you would make a great addition to the chapter.

In other words- I think you need to find out where you stand well in advance of the rush process.

Kevin has mentioned the recolonization of his GLO at Kansas- a great place to start. Someone with your maturity and military service would surely make an outstanding re-founding father for a chapter. You could have all the fun, but also put your maturity and skills to use- skills that your average college student does not yet possess.

Also, your user name indicates you are a Sig Ep legacy. It never hurts to ask your father (uncle or whoever was a Sig Ep) to make some inquiries with the chapter and help you discreetly make an initial contact with Sig Ep at Kansas (I assume they have a chapter there) so you can go to dinner with some of the guys and they can have a chance to hear your unique situation and then go from there.

Long story short- in your specific situation I think going into formal rush without any prior introduction to any chapters is very likely to result in not getting a bid anywhere worth pledging.

But if you can figure out where specific opportunities lie- meaning the SN recolonization Kevin mentioned and your family connection to Sig Ep- and then get yourself introduced around well in advance of rush, then you will have the most opportunity anyone could ask to be evaluated as a candidate without your age being a limiting factor before anyone knows who you are.

Last edited by EE-BO; 08-26-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2007, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Remember also, both the military and Social Greeks want well rounded men in their organizations.

If you come to Kansas, contact me. I am in Kansas City and a Gorilla Alum from Pittsburg, Ks.

Good luck with your new future endevor!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-26-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
> ...I am in Kansas City and a Gorilla Alum from Pittsburg, Ks.
That's a new one for me. What's a "gorilla alum"?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

This is all so disappointing...
Old 08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't be disappointed. This is not impossible.

If you were to go into formal rush at the start of your freshman without having made any former contact with any fraternities, they would say "24 year old?!" and that would be the end of it with at least 50-60% of the chapters on that campus. All the good things you have done with your life would not help you since that late in the game there is just not time for people to hear your story and see that your age should not be hurting your chances to pledge.

But, if as I have suggested, you take steps 6-12 months before the start of school to get in touch with some chapters (starting with the two good contact points you have- Kevin plus your relative who is a Sig Ep), then you go into rush as a 24 year old- but everyone knows your story and realizes that you are not some nut job, but in fact someone who has made life decisions that any real American would admire, and you are coming to college at the right time for you.

As I said, I think you have an opportunity to join the Greek Community. I am just trying to offer thoughts on how you can best do that. And in doing that I have to be honest in saying that yes- on age alone you will hit some walls at some chapters (not all- but some) you might not have otherwise hit.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to school at Ole Miss and know a few Sig Eps who are in the ROTC program.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

My brother recently graduated from college and was both an ROTC cadet and a member of a fraternity. Several of his fraternity brothers were ROTC as well.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modorney View Post
That's a new one for me. What's a "gorilla alum"?
Tom is a graduate of Pittsburg State U. in Kansas. Their mascot is the Gorilla. (One of my chapter advisors was also a Gorilla alumn).

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Tom is a graduate of Pittsburg State U. in Kansas. Their mascot is the Gorilla. (One of my chapter advisors was also a Gorilla alumn).

Yea, go to the head of the class on that one. Let me know from PM I sent you.

SigEpLegacy, keep your chin up and keep in touch!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Contributing my two cents...

I attended college on an ROTC scholarship. I was very apprehensive when I entered college/went through rush... I attended a traditional southern school (and had heard all kinds of things about southern rush, no doubt) and was initially afraid that sororities would drop me because of it. Of course, that did not happen, although I remained the only girl in my sorority (and in the entire greek system, at that) in ROTC throughout my time in college... I don't think anybody frowned on me for it, but a lot of the girls did not understand why I was doing it.

On the other hand, most of my male friends from ROTC had a greek affiliation. A group of ROTC guys actually helped to colonize a new IFC chapter on campus. Several of our cadre members were greek alumni, too. It is a positive thing... the leadership skills you gain from being in the program are valuable and can be taken back to your respective greek chapter.

I am not familiar with greek life at Kansas, but do not let age stop you. Every fraternity on my campus had at least one person in the pledge class who was not the stereotypical 18 year old. I recall that during my freshman year, one was 26. (And he was a Sig Ep!) Age was never an issue at formals, mixers, or anything else. We were all adults, having a good time.

The comraderie in my ROTC program was amazing. I strongly encourage you to pursue membership in both a fraternity and ROTC. It will be an enriching experience.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The spin

You probably should put the proper "spin" on it when you go thru rush, i.e. "I realize I'm older than most kids here, but I really wanted to serve my Country after high school".
Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
My Chi Omega Little Sister married a Kappa Sigma who was in ROTC. I just discovered about a month ago that he is now a Brigadier General at the Pentagon! (Guess that ROTC stuff worked out well for him, huh?)
Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

HERE WE GO BLACKBOYS AN GIRLS

check this story out

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20478293...sweek/from/ET/
Old 09-13-2007, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
About 1/3rd of my chapter (of 55 members) is either Active duty, reserve, or ROTC, and interestingly enough, the Colonel of the Army ROTC unit is a Sigma Nu alumni from U of Kansas. Our chapter president is CO of the cadets.

So no, at my school, ROTC is not frowned upon by fraternities, but some fraternities are frowned upon by the training officers because they keep pledges out late before PT in the AM.
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 09-13-2007, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

My big brother does ROTC and he is on my fraternities executive council