GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,382
2 members and 1,380 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

missing something else in your life

in response to MadXG, I think that particularly at HBCU's the pressure to join is really apparent at minority greek orgs are so prevalent on campus. i go to school in new england where there are no on campus chapters but there is a strong city wide chapter that a lot of students choose to participate in. i think that if you want to be part of campus life and really get involved, you don't need greek organizations. i'm the first person to go to college from my family as well, on full scholarship no less and while the prospect of joining a greek organization is appealing to me, i know that i'm already a very active person in my university community regardless of being not being greek. i'm respected and accomplished, all on my own merit. i think that a lot of people join greek orgs because it is a tangible way to say you've experienced undergrad, potential networking possibilities, and brotherhood/sisterhood. but you can have all of that without being greek. for a lot of people, being greek makes you a stronger and more accomplished person, but i don't see the point of joining an organization with such a strong reputation if you don't already feel strong and accomplished on your own. another reason why i disagree so much with hazing.
it practically preys on weak and needy individuals who feel marginalized by a greater community and lacking solidarity. don't you think that this is the perfect person to haze? they are already lacking something in their lives thus making them more willing to humiliate themselves to be part of something bigger. if these organizations wanted only the best, why not use process that isn't demeaning, because let's get real..a person with something to be proud of and healthy self-confidence wouldn't let anyone crap on them for anything...especially to be part of an organization that might repel you in the end.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfinest View Post
in response to MadXG, I think that particularly at HBCU's the pressure to join is really apparent at minority greek orgs are so prevalent on campus. i go to school in new england where there are no on campus chapters but there is a strong city wide chapter that a lot of students choose to participate in. i think that if you want to be part of campus life and really get involved, you don't need greek organizations. i'm the first person to go to college from my family as well, on full scholarship no less and while the prospect of joining a greek organization is appealing to me, i know that i'm already a very active person in my university community regardless of being not being greek. i'm respected and accomplished, all on my own merit. i think that a lot of people join greek orgs because it is a tangible way to say you've experienced undergrad, potential networking possibilities, and brotherhood/sisterhood. but you can have all of that without being greek. for a lot of people, being greek makes you a stronger and more accomplished person, but i don't see the point of joining an organization with such a strong reputation if you don't already feel strong and accomplished on your own. another reason why i disagree so much with hazing.
it practically preys on weak and needy individuals who feel marginalized by a greater community and lacking solidarity. don't you think that this is the perfect person to haze? they are already lacking something in their lives thus making them more willing to humiliate themselves to be part of something bigger. if these organizations wanted only the best, why not use process that isn't demeaning, because let's get real..a person with something to be proud of and healthy self-confidence wouldn't let anyone crap on them for anything...especially to be part of an organization that might repel you in the end.
Umm...you're responding to a post from April 2007.

And why are you trying to give fraternity advice to someone if you're not Greek yourself? Keep it moving, please...