GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,333
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, Jordandrose
» Online Users: 1,086
0 members and 1,086 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-1999, 03:37 PM
Michelle Barretta

Question Caping the Number of organizations on a campus

Hi my name is Michelle Barretta
I attend Sacred Heart University and I am involved in Greek Life on my campus. We are currently wondering if any other schools have a cap on the amount of Greek organizations that are allowed on your campus. If you could get back to me i would greatly appreciate it. Also if your school does not have a cap can you tell us any policy you have on admitting new organizations to your school. Once again thanks. Michelle
(my email address is 0509415@sacredheart.edu)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-1999, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Most universities, at least the large ones, put a cap on the number of GLO's on campus, at least the so-called social or mainstream ones. As many know, it takes funds and commitment to run these houses and if you have too many, resources get spread too thin and risk of success runs high.

The NPC has strict guidelines about adding new NPC groups to campuses. The local campus IFC governs the number of fraternities on board while Student Affairs or Greek Life offices oversee cultural or service groups. Professional/honorary groups are usually administered through their respective colleges.

Barb

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not
much of a leader.

Old 11-23-1999, 10:53 PM
c n s

Question

My question to you is who is calling for the cap? Is it the individual orginazations or the administration of the college? If it is the administration of the college than I suggest that you confer with other colleges or universities that have had a similar expierence, either on the national or local level. This way you get varried opinions and may choose the best course of action.
I will warn you that if an individual orginazation calls for the cap their motives will be questioned, not only by the disgruntled students left out in the cold , but sometimes by the administration as well.
I am sure that your motives are sincere, but just be careful- the last thing you need people trash talking your sorority.

Fraternally,
A concerned sister
Old 11-24-1999, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Something else that will affect your situation is whether the current GLO's are nationally recognized or local chapters. All of the social GLO's at my little private school are locals, so the only governing bodies they have are the school's Greek Council and the Student Activities Office.

(The professional GLOs are national, but as Barb said fall under different guidelines, and all of the 'Black' GLO's are metro-chapters (multi-campus) so they don't affect the policies as much0.
Old 07-30-2000, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AXPAlum
I always thought universities weren't involved in any type of capping. Whenever the IFC or NPC had new groups coming to them for recognition, it was up to them and if there was room for them at the school. The only concern was rush and if everyone would be alright with numbers if another organization came into the picture. Does anyone have a rule or policy that says you can only have X amount of greek organizations at their school? (I'm just curious if I'm seeing a pattern here, let me know if your school is considered a public or private institution)

AXPAlum