GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,373
0 members and 1,373 guests
No Members online

Old 08-25-2000, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Regionals

What about regional sororities? My sorority has two other chapters in this state. But nobody seems to recognoize that.Most people look at us as if were local, we do have alot incommon with locals though. Are than anyother regionals that have insight? I'm intersted to find out what others think about this.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2000, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi SGPHigirl,
I am part of a sorority that is mainly regional. We are located in Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana. We term ourselves as an Up and Coming Nat'l Org but a lot of people don't really see us as that cuz we aren't coast to coast or whatever. I say if someone says that, let them know you have another chapter. I mean, there's not a lot you can do to make others believe you aren't local. We just say "hey, look at our webpage and you'll see we have chapters elsewhere". There is like a certain number of chapters (I believe 13) to be considered "national" in the eyes of a national council like the NPC. So those who know that tend to think that if you don't have that many chapters, you aren't national. I think it's crap! But in my opinion, I say if you've got more than one, you definitely aren't local.

Quote:
Originally posted by SGPhigirl:
What about regional sororities? My sorority has two other chapters in this state. But nobody seems to recognoize that.Most people look at us as if were local, we do have alot incommon with locals though. Are than anyother regionals that have insight? I'm intersted to find out what others think about this.
Old 08-28-2000, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
SGPhiGirl,

You bring up a good point, regionals are overlooked. I wasn't familiar with the concept until very recently, when I stumbled across the website of a regional sorority in the northeast. Some regionals have a legacy and history just as rich as national organizations, the difference is merely the number and concentration of chapters.

What's your organization, and do you have a website?

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 08-28-2000, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
There are a great many regional groups in both the Midwest and New York. Many years ago the State University System of NY banned national groups, so many locals spread regionally and still have more than one chapter in the area. Arethusa is one group that comes to mind in addition to the Agonian and there are a few others.

In the Midwest there are several teacher's sororities in Indiana and Ohio with chapters throughout the state. I've never been able to determine if these are unique or if the groups were once members of the Association of Educational Sororities. Most AES groups that had national chapters merged with the NPC.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.
Tallahassee Area Alumnae of ZTA
Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic & Sorority Recruitment FAQ

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

my soror recently expanded and we now have 4 chapters in the ny area. the question of whether we're local or regional has never really been a matter for us. the only problem we have is ordering stuff with our letters on them. alot of sites make paraphernalia only for national glos
Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

So the original post is pretty old, but I'm pretty sure that SGPhi girl is from my sorority (Arethusa -- Sigma Gamma Phi), and as an update, we now have four chapters in NY state, not just three. http://www.arethusa.org is our website.
We're still considered local, because each chapter is independent and we don't have a national headquarters (although we have a yearly convocation where all the chapters get together)...although we consider ourselves regional. There's a lot of "local vs national" drama/competition at my school and there's benefits to being on either side of it.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BootyKBG
this is an interesting topic, I've wondered about regionals and other nationals who are not Panhell. Kappa Beta Gamma is 90 years old and has had a good number of chapters in our history, but currently only have 5 active. We are still considered national though, because we have a National board to oversee all the chapters, and the chapters have existed nationwide. Do the rest of you have overseeing boards, or just chapters on various campuses that share letters and traditions?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

sgfgsu: I believe we attend the same school! I am also in a regional sorority there!