GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,415
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Ilene76V74
» Online Users: 649
2 members and 647 guests
Ilene76V74, LynCheesem

Old 08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margretlee View Post
OK, so we have seen the "average" costs on the UA Panhellenic website. On Panhellenic weekend, some sororities gave out cost sheets. However, not all of them did. We can defintiely afford a sorority, especially one of the "average" cost ones. However, we would prefer to stay in that range, so that she will have plenty of money for clothes, tshirts, etc. Is there anyone here that can tell us which ones are the most expensive ones, or rank them according to approximate
cost?
================================================== =============

We have money allotted for this, so don't need a payment plan, but would love to stay within a certain range, as we have two other kids coming up right behind her!

================================================== ==============
IDK how I could have been any clearer. We have some money set aside, but don't want to exceed it, so we wanted to make sure and stay in that range????????
Margretlee, I understand what you've said, although it took me a while to get there. But when I read things like "we'd like to stay in a certain range" and requests for rankings of sororities by cost, along with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by margretlee View Post
What if she likes one of the highest priced ones. We could come up with it, but do we want to do that with little sisters coming up??
I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to infer that your top concern is the cost, not where she feels most like she belongs. That may not be an accurate inference, but I don't think it is an unreasonable inference. It was how I read your posts at first, anyway,

All I'm saying is that in internet discussion like these -- where we have no facial, tone of voice or other cues to give context to our words and where the back and forth of face-to-face conversation is missing -- we all would do well to remember that sometimes misunderstandings may come from a simple failure to communicate as well as we would like.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

So what house did she join?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As a father who was in a Fraternity and also put 2 girls through school and their Sorority here is my experience for what it is worth.

As with everything else in life it usually costs more than you are told. Take the top amount and add 10% and you will most likely be in decent shape. If you just take the lower cost Sororities numbers it will probably not include many items the higher cost Sororities include. I just think they all are going to be somewhere in the same ranges on cost unless they do not have a house.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Margretlee, I understand what you've said, although it took me a while to get there. But when I read things like "we'd like to stay in a certain range" and requests for rankings of sororities by cost, along with:
Originally Posted by margretlee
What if she likes one of the highest priced ones. We could come up with it, but do we want to do that with little sisters coming up??
I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to infer that your top concern is the cost, not where she feels most like she belongs. That may not be an accurate inference, but I don't think it is an unreasonable inference. It was how I read your posts at first, anyway,
That's exactly how I read her posts, and am still reading them. I mean, she made a big deal out of how they COULD afford it, so what exactly was the point of this thread?

To bitch about old row sororities not disclosing costs, methinks, and bash old row in general.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Margretlee:

I am really glad, for your daughter's sake, that this endeavor worked out. It could have turned out very badly for her. What you should have done, from the BEGINNING, is tell her: "Honey, we have X amount of dollars to give you each year for your sorority membership and expenses. If you join a house that is more expensive, you will need to come up with the difference on your own." Several people told you this, and it is great advice that makes complete sense.

I hope that with your other daughters, you will rethink the approach you took with the first one. It really was not fair to put that kind of pressure on her during recruitment.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been on GC for a year and I still don't understand the whole "Old Row" thing.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I still don't understand why she couldn't get a job to help offset costs...plenty of sorority girls in the SEC have jobs.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
I've been on GC for a year and I still don't understand the whole "Old Row" thing.
This might help:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=32105&page=5
Old 08-19-2009, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I cut a good house for $ issues. On house tour day, when there was a Prada bag hanging off every single bed, I knew I would never be able to keep up materialistically, so to speak. I complimented the dress of one of the girls who rushed me. She thanked me and told me that she bought it in Italy because her parents sent her to Italy to go shopping for school clothes every summer.

Although I could have afforded the chapter, I knew I would never be comfortable spending all of my spending money on designer shoes and bags. On the other hand, I wouldn't be comfortable not fitting in with my sisters.

I guess I can agree with the point that you can actually choose to not join a house that you really like due to the costs. If it's a scrape for you to pay the dues and you don't get to do any of the extras, like spring break, game roadtrips, etc., what is the point of joining? I'm glad MargaretLee's daughter found a middle of the road (costwise) house and hope that she will fit in and be happy.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 PM

That's not really the same thing at all. The OP's questions were about housing costs and dues, not what the sisters choose to spend on their own. There's a possibility the chapter with the lowest dues and rent is also the one where the sisters have a Prada bag for every day of the week.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
I still don't understand why she couldn't get a job to help offset costs...plenty of sorority girls in the SEC have jobs.
This, for eternity!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a mom and agree with everything you said. Just curious, how did it all turn out? Ie, how does your daughter rate the experience of greeklife at UA and what do you know about the costs?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Who are you responding to? No one has posted in this thread since 2009.