GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,553
1 members and 1,552 guests
navane

Old 01-04-2006, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Rush and looks?

Hello ladies (and gentlemen) I'm new to GC and already addicted to it This is such a great site and very helpful to the many young men and women involved in the greek community or wanting to be.

So here is my question to ya'll, Do looks honestly matter to your PERSONAL chapter? Would you rather have the drop dead gorgeous looks and an ok personality, or someone who is a little more full figured and maybe with a slight skin problem but a fabulous personality, gpa, and list of activities?

I know my opinion on the matter, just looking for everyone else's
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

looks absolutely do not matter in my chapter. yes, we have some super hot girls but we also have a few sisters who are overweight and many 'average' girls. i honestly have felt we ahve soem of the best women at our school in my chapter and it doesn't matetr what they look like. if looks mattered, i may not have ever gotetn in a sorority, as i was very punked out (pink hair and piercings) when i joined my chapter.

while that may not be the case fro all chapters, i don't think looks along will get anyone into a chapter. yeah, there are chapters with all 'hot chicks' but most of those women have to have somethingto offer the chapter besides taking a good composite pic.

i definately feel most fraternities don't care either. yeah, they might want a guy who fits their 'style' but i think when it comes down to it, if a guy is cool, he's cool, no matter what he looks like.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks matter. To what extent they matter depends on each chapter.

Also, there are different issues related to "looks" -- there's a big difference between having pink hair and piercings and being 100 pounds overweight with excess facial hair and acne.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I would say as long as you are polished and put together. Don't be looking "tore up from the floor up"--not gonna work at all!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
Looks matter. To what extent they matter depends on each chapter.
Yes. A girl didn't have to necessarily be a beauty queen to get a bid from my chapter, but "appearance" was one of the things we looked for. That may not be what you want to hear, but that's how it was. However, like I said, appearance doesn't necessarily equate drop-dead gorgeous--more like how well put-together and well-groomed you are.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Yes. A girl didn't have to necessarily be a beauty queen to get a bid from my chapter, but "appearance" was one of the things we looked for. That may not be what you want to hear, but that's how it was. However, like I said, appearance doesn't necessarily equate drop-dead gorgeous--more like how well put-together and well-groomed you are.
Agreed. Appearance is pretty important, not always "looks".
Old 01-04-2006, 05:22 PM

Appearance is a factor in my chapter, but not on an extreme level. It's more a matter of whether the PNM is well groomed and looks like she made an effort to look decent for the day.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

agree

I agree with everything ya'll are saying. This thread wasn't meant to offend anyone, I was merely wondering how each chapter veiwed the matter. Of course appearance matters. Each Sorority wants their members to look put together
Old 01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a somewhat subjective topic. As a whole, chapters look for women who are the best fit for the chapter.

Each individual in a chapter, however, is victim to her own personal bias. So as a PNM, you could go in, have a great time at a chapter one day and click with the women you talk to, and then go back and have a horrible time, just because of who you meet at that next day's event!

So a chapter looking to recruit well-rounded women (and ostensibly, most chapters are looking for well rounded diverse members who will contribute to the chapter's growth) might have their efforts thwarted by a few well-meaning sisters trying to bid "face" girls.

In my Greek system in college, I saw beautiful girls get their top choice bids, and average girls get their top choice bids. Similiarly, there were also women of both groups who left recruitment disappointed with their options and choices. Confidence and being your personal best are very attractive qualities-- another reason to be a gracious guest and to be yourself at recruitment events, and to not listen to "gossip on the street" about the perceived top chapters.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks themselves don't matter. I know several girls who went through recruitment who were gorgeous but had the personality of a rock. However, no one wants the girl who has greasy hair and doesn't look like she took the time to shower before recruitment. Basically it's about being well-put-together overall.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

well put together is important, neat and clean in appearance...someone who takes pride in themselves and their appearance.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dznat187
...i was very punked out (pink hair and piercings) when i joined my chapter.

I ask you, how could we NOT want someone with pink hair? Or, I should say, Old Rose!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
I ask you, how could we NOT want someone with pink hair? Or, I should say, Old Rose!
My old roommate rushed my chapter, and certain people didn't have very good things to say about her blue hair. Maybe I should've told her to change it to pink...
Old 01-05-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the pink hair impressed them. they asked me to join without me even realizing i was rushing....how funny is that. a girl with pink hair doing community service with them without necessarily wanting to join.....how could they not want me.....

and i happen to think the pink hair was hot, think GWEN STEFANI and cotton candy!...the piercings.....ehhh...i have gotten over them.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
It's sad that body figures count. It's the appearance (hygiene) and personailty that counts. A girl that weighs 200 pounds that have a good personality and well mannered can still be cut rather than a girl weighs 100 pounds.

RULE OF THUMB to all of you PNMs:
If you want to dye your hair, dye it a nice color or put highlights that is an acceptable color for rush. Better yet, go to a hair stylist, because he or she knows what color is right for you. It will take up a lot of time, but it would be well worth it.