GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,346
2 members and 2,344 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII

Old 11-30-2005, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Questions about documentaries on sorority rush

I've seen a documentary on the History Channel about the fraterntity rush at Ole Miss. I have two questions:

1. Have anyone done a documentary about sorority rush?

2. Do you think that someone should do a documentary on sorority rush?

I think that there should be one, however, extreme conditions should apply. The documentary should focus on the positive things, and it should not include drinking. Also, they should feature girls that either got released or dropped out to show the harsh, yet true reality that not everyone gets in. Documentaries do not have happy endings for everyone.

Also, the girls must not say what sorority that they like or don't like. They should, however, say how many they feel comfortable or not comfortable with.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-30-2005, 04:54 PM

1. No.
2. No.

Sorority rush with NPC or NPHC groups never includes drinking anyway, so I don't know why you felt the need to add this caveat.

As many people on here have stated, membership selection procedures are often a part of ritual and therefore may not be seen by nonmembers.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know who would watch it... Version 1 would be a pat on the back to sorority women, as it would be a tribute to sisterhood, service and friendship... Version 2 would be a Jerry Springer-esque look at Girls Gone Wild.

I guess I need to see the "Who Cares" factor-- why would someone watch it? "Because they're curious" isn't going to get ratings.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Questions about documentaries on sorority rush

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
I've seen a documentary on the History Channel about the fraterntity rush at Ole Miss. I have two questions:

1. Have anyone done a documentary about sorority rush?

2. Do you think that someone should do a documentary on sorority rush?

I think that there should be one, however, extreme conditions should apply. The documentary should focus on the positive things, and it should not include drinking. Also, they should feature girls that either got released or dropped out to show the harsh, yet true reality that not everyone gets in. Documentaries do not have happy endings for everyone.

Also, the girls must not say what sorority that they like or don't like. They should, however, say how many they feel comfortable or not comfortable with.
I'm not sure that I'd think about this in terms of whether there "should" be a documentary about this. It seems like it's more a question of whether it would work, and whether a producer was interested in the topic and GLOs and rushees were willing to cooperate. I think it would be interesting, but logistically difficult - I doubt that it would be easy to get permission to go charging into a sorority house in the middle of rush with filming equipment. I'm not sure that being told what to show and not to show would go over too well - creative control seems to be important to filmmakers.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Sorority rush with NPC or NPHC groups never includes drinking anyway, so I don't know why you felt the need to add this caveat.
Maybe she meant drinking outside rush parties (i.e. going out at night)? I think I was the only girl in my rush group that didn't go out to a fraternity party or something and get drunk at least once during rush week.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a documentary about sorority recruitment at Ole Miss from the 1980s. (it might have been the 1970s but I don't really remember which decade it was). I've seen it and it just sort of whatever, just shows the sororities singing songs and stuff. It is neat to see how much the houses have changed through the years.

I've emailed the Ole Miss Library to see if they have a copy or who has it. I don't think it ever aired on TV or anything.

I was interviewed my sophomore year in the Ole Miss Grove while tailgating by some student from another university and she asked me what I liked about being in a sorority...I had to sign something too, never heard about it again.

I think the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill Southern Studies might have done a study on sororities at Ole Miss, not sure if it included a video or anything.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
There is a documentary about sorority recruitment at Ole Miss from the 1980s. (it might have been the 1970s but I don't really remember which decade it was). I've seen it and it just sort of whatever, just shows the sororities singing songs and stuff. It is neat to see how much the houses have changed through the years.

I've emailed the Ole Miss Library to see if they have a copy or who has it. I don't think it ever aired on TV or anything.

I was interviewed my sophomore year in the Ole Miss Grove while tailgating by some student from another university and she asked me what I liked about being in a sorority...I had to sign something too, never heard about it again.

I think the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill Southern Studies might have done a study on sororities at Ole Miss, not sure if it included a video or anything.
Yeah, IIRC, a video release form is a standard legal precaution when a producer wants to include a recognizable likeness of someone who's not a public figure.
http://www.current.tv/studio/groups/thread/366726.htm
http://www.current.tv/studio/survivalguide/ has a "legal stuff" section that talks about this.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Maybe she meant drinking outside rush parties (i.e. going out at night)? I think I was the only girl in my rush group that didn't go out to a fraternity party or something and get drunk at least once during rush week.
What I meant was that the documentary should not have ANY drinking so it would steer away from MTV.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

If I had watched a documentary of Recruitment at Ole Miss, I probably would've been scared to go through recruitment at all! Campuses are so different that I think it would be impossible to do an accurate documentary that reflects all the styles and different campuses of NPC recruitment.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
What I meant was that the documentary should not have ANY drinking so it would steer away from MTV.
I know. That's what I took your statement to mean. However, I think there was confusion because someone pointed out that NPC rush does not allow alcohol to be served during rush parties...but that doesn't mean that rush week is alcohol-free by any means.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:06 PM

It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm sure no NPC would go for it. In which case the producers would get locals to do it. And while SOME locals are WONDERFUL, it always turns out that they get the most bitchy, haze-tastic, dramatic local sorority they can find. They then get passed off to the mainstream public as a representative of sorority rush everywhere (when we all know that NPC rush can differ alot from that of a local).

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm sure no NPC would go for it. In which case the producers would get locals to do it. And while SOME locals are WONDERFUL, it always turns out that they get the most bitchy, haze-tastic, dramatic local sorority they can find. They then get passed off to the mainstream public as a representative of sorority rush everywhere (when we all know that NPC rush can differ alot from that of a local).
Sorority rush could be an interesting thing to document, but writing would probably work a lot better than video. It'd be easier to protect people's privacy that way. The piece would be more engaging if the author talked with participants on both sides and let them tell their own stories.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't get it. Who would watch it? Sorority women know what goes on and unless you give the REAL picture of sorority life, it has no general appeal.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I found a link to the video from Ole Miss.
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movie...ml?v_id=157100
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
If I had watched a documentary of Recruitment at Ole Miss, I probably would've been scared to go through recruitment at all! Campuses are so different that I think it would be impossible to do an accurate documentary that reflects all the styles and different campuses of NPC recruitment.
Yes, exactly. And if the girls from Ole Miss watched a doc of Clarion recruitment they would have probably said "My Land! Whatever is the matter with those women?"

Look at all the fracas we had on here when Sorority Life was on - there were people who thought the sororities weren't real just because they weren't NPC groups!