GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,346
0 members and 2,346 guests
No Members online

Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool The Other ΣAE

Hi, my name is Thiaz, I'm a member of ΣAE, but not ΣAE USA (1856), I'm a frat member from ΣAE Philippines - International (1966).

First of all, I know many of ΣAE USA members dislike us because some of our members who mistakenly use ΣAE USA materials like their coat-of-arms, colors(purple & gold), date & seals. But rest assured because our Supreme Council has banned the use of all ΣAE USA-related materials and those who use them will be dealt with punishment.

I also want to apologize for the misconceptions & confusion our members caused, since our organizations are very much different from your fraternity since your fraternity is older and consist only of males and our organization only existed for a couple of decades and and also, we accept women.

We understand that ΣAE USA is a national fraternity which only exist only in the USA and does not consider us brothers or recognize us. We on the other hand exist in many places since we're an international organization that has chapters in the Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand, Saudi Arabia & Qatar, so don't be surprised or offended if you see one of our members wearing a shirt with the "ΣAE" initials.

I'm just here to read fraternity-related stuff from the forums. Don't mind me

Last edited by Thiaz; 06-30-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome! It's not your fault that Pino organizations expropriate US organizations' intellectual property. Glad they're owning up to it and trying to play nice. As a member of an organization which to my knowledge hasn't had our intellectual property stolen, what gives? Are we just not cool enough?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-30-2015, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Welcome! It's not your fault that Pino organizations expropriate US organizations' intellectual property. Glad they're owning up to it and trying to play nice. As a member of an organization which to my knowledge hasn't had our intellectual property stolen, what gives? Are we just not cool enough?
Actually, we(our founders) didn't stole the name, our founders just didn't knew the existence of a much older ΣAE USA when they made our fraternity. And about the usage of ΣAE USa materials, our members unknowingly used them since the 80's - 00's, our Supreme Council ignored this for years until 2007(if I'm not mistaken) due to the racist comments by ΣAE USA members on the internet against our innocent clueless brothers, our Supreme Council implemented a STRICT BAN on all ΣAE USA-related material usage to avoid future confusion.

Even though we still have some hard-headed members who use ΣAE USA materials, we are tryinh our best to URGE them NOT to use it and even punish them if they don't comply.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

We also use different seals/logos
We call this the Epsilonian Star, this was created during the 80's(if I'm not mistaken)

Last edited by Thiaz; 06-30-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

That's commendable. I suppose it's arguable that in 1966, it wasn't possible to check Wikipedia to find out whether you had a United States fraternity with the same name. If we can be of any service, let us know!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Especially since the name came from the organization transforming itself from the "Society of Agricultural Engineers". See http://www.saephilippines.org/homepage/faqs/

Also, the effort to surpress usage by members of ΣΑΕ-Phil of ΣΑΕ-USA graphics seems focused on the following, *never* use Purple in any graphic and *never* use 1856. I'm not sure that quite lines up with what ΣΑΕ-USA would want, but it is *definitely* a start in the right direction.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Was Sigma Nu not the group whose Creed was stolen wholesale for that Zac Efron movie about Greek Life? It was called Neighbors or something like that? I only remember seeing it and being very unimpressed, but I think you or someone else said that the creed they used was yours word-for-word.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Was Sigma Nu not the group whose Creed was stolen wholesale for that Zac Efron movie about Greek Life? It was called Neighbors or something like that? I only remember seeing it and being very unimpressed, but I think you or someone else said that the creed they used was yours word-for-word.
Yeah that was us.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

One of these days I'll put together the complete list of groups who have the same Greek Letters between the US and the Philippines. But the relationship *really* varies by group. One the one end: Alpha Phi Omega in the Philippines is an equal member of the International Council of APO to Alpha Phi Omega USA.
On the other end: There is a group calling themselves Phi Beta Kappa of the Philippines which although a general GLO in the Philippines says that they're members are part of Phi Beta Kappa USA.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who's a part of the original Sigma Alpha Epsilon, it is natural for me to be frustrated at your misrepresentation of our letters. But thank you for owning up to it.