GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,385
3 members and 2,382 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-01-2014, 03:29 PM

Schools that need to open for NPC expansion

We've all seen the boom in NPC extension lately, but there are lots of schools that are not open, or do not have a future colonization planned, but have numbers that seem to support the need. I'm not talking about quotas in the 30s. I mean seriously bursting at the seams numbers.

Some of these may have barriers to expansion or may be "special" places with undesirable circumstances, but they sure have solid numbers, or too few groups to sustain the high numbers.

My top 25 candidates for expansion:
1. University of Alabama 17 NPCs, Total 360, 2013 Quota 117. They were open, but nothing ever happened. Groups that aren't already there may be scared of the commitment, but if the numbers ever supported it, it's here.
2. University of Arizona 12 NPCs, Total 220, 2013 Quota 94. Yes, Alpha Chi Omega just recolonized, but let's be honest, that's a drop in the bucket.
3. University of Arkansas 10 NPCs, 2013 Quota 130. Despite 2 recent colonizations, this school needs more than 10 NPCs.
4. Louisiana State University 11 NPCs, 2013 Quota 99. Alpha Phi's current recolonization won't do enough to diminish the need for further expansion.
5. University of North Florida 5 NPCs, 2013 Quota 74
6. University of Oklahoma 11 NPCs, Total 263, 2013 Quota 81
7. Florida International University 7 NPCs, 2013 Quota 69
8. Cal State Fullerton 6 NPCs, 2013 Quota 69
9. University of Colorado 9 NPCs, Total 208, 2013 Quota 82
10. Baylor University 8 NPCs, 2014 Quota 79
11. Colgate University 3 NPCs, 2013 Quota 65
12. Florida Gulf Coast University 5 NPCs, Total 180, 2013 Quota between 56-72
13. Belmont University 4 NPCs, 2013 Quota between 61-69
14. Texas State University 7 NPCs, 2013 Quota 70
15. University of Kentucky 13 NPCs, 2013 Quota 82
16. University of Delaware 11 NPCs, 2014 Quota between 71-78
17. University of Missouri 15 NPCs, Total 288, 2013 Quota 80
18. University of Minnesota - Duluth 1 NPC, 2013-2014 New members = 71
19. Cal State San Marcos 3 NPCs, 2014 Quota 59
20. Samford University 5 NPCs, 2013 Quota between 62-65
21. Troy University 5 NPCs, 2013 Quota between 49-64
22. Texas Tech University 11 NPCs, 2013 Quota 68
23. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 9 NPCs, Total 190, 2013 Quota 67
24. University of Texas 14 NPCs, 2013 Quota 70
25. University of Florida 16 NPCs, Total 185, 2013 Quota 70

Honorable Mentions:
Auburn
Northern Arizona
Central Arkansas
San Diego State
Yale
University of Georgia
North Georgia
Tarleton State
Texas A&M
Virginia Tech (although Kappa Alpha Theta is scheduled to recolonize at a date TBA)

What schools do you think demonstrate a real need for more NPC groups?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Some of these may have barriers to expansion or may be "special" places with undesirable circumstances, but they sure have solid numbers, or too few groups to sustain the high numbers.
I agree some of these have special circumstances that may not make them desirable to the chapters not represented on their campuses, like Alabama. It would take several million dollars to build a chapter house there and the whole old row vs. new row thing might come into play, not to mention the publicity surrounding the aftermath of last year's recruitment. Kentucky might also fall into that category. Quota may have been higher than usual, but one chapter missed quota by quite a lot. Total was raised and over half of the chapters had to go some sort of informal recruitment. So, using quota this year as a benchmark for expansion might be premature. I would want to see what next year brings before opening for expansion. Those were the two that stood out to me.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

This will be a great thread for discussion! Thanks
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you made this thread! Every so often I go through the lists and just look at schools that I think will open in the next few years based on the number increases. Good to hear what others think.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Alpha Xi Delta recolonizing at LSU in 2014?

Also, Delaware sure does need to open AGAIN, they have been opening for extension continuously for the most part since 2008 and even with the addition of Phi Sigma Sigma in Fall 2013, that still didn't lower quota. I think it makes sense that they may consider opening soon again.

If Auburn does decide to open in the future, I sure hope Alpha Phi pursues it. It would be nice to be at both Alabama and Auburn.

To add a few to the list:
1. University of Florida: 16 NPC's, 2013 quota was 70.
2. Florida State: 17 NPC's, 2013 quota was 72.
3. Florida International: 7 NPC's, 2013 quota was 69.
4. University of Georgia: 17 NPC's, 2013 quota was 69.
5. Tulane: 8 NPC's, 2014 quota was 66.
6. Ole Miss: 10 NPC's plus Alpha Phi colonizing in 2015, 2013 quota was 117. I think even with the addition of Alpha Phi, the school is similar to Arkansas in such a high quota, they need several more.

Last edited by APhi4Ever; 03-01-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Alpha Xi Delta recolonizing at LSU in 2014?
Not that I'm aware of and I can't imagine it with what we have on the horizon right now. We just colonized at Michigan State and American, with Wisconsin and Oklahoma State coming in the next year, with UCLA and South Carolina right after that. That is a list of BIG schools with a lot of room for failure. I hate to see opportunities pass us by to recolonize closed chapters, but yikes! There's only so much you can do at once! Of course, if we still own our house (I have no idea) and a really strong local alumnae group (also, no idea), then it's always possible. The school can warrant the growth and the curse may have been put to rest.

Putting on my psychic hat, I'm going to guess that Arkansas opens up this year for another expansion in 2015. And further, that someone will bite on Alabama in the next 2 or 3 years. I also think Mizzou needs to open for expansion again.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

What's the criteria for a calling quota too high? I really don't think 66 is all that large when there are places where 80-115 seems the norm.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
So, using quota this year as a benchmark for expansion might be premature. I would want to see what next year brings before opening for expansion.
I completely agree that one year's results shouldn't lead to expansion. I only listed the current year, but that's because I'm lazy. .

I didn't list some schools that have the numbers, but have undergone very recent expansion or planned expansion that may help alleviate the overcrowding (i.e. San Diego State, Florida State, Georgia College, Ole Miss).

I also wonder what the inner workings are that lead some to schools to open when there doesn't appear to be a demonstrated need. I know there can be other compelling reasons, I just wish I knew what they were in each case!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Rutgers University can use another one or two NPC orgs., since Phi Mu colonized with 150 girls successfully. Any thoughts?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
What's the criteria for a calling quota too high? I really don't think 66 is all that large when there are places where 80-115 seems the norm.
I think chapters do a fantastic job of coping with super large quotas, but they have to negatively affect the sorority experience. In these days of short new member periods, there is no way new members even know the girls in their class prior to initiation. Again, the chapters do a wonderful job of mitigating this, but it is a challenge that could be alleviated if classes were smaller. It is also difficult to find meeting space for the chapter.

I think 66 might be just fine at a huge school with a nice big house providing a common ground. But at some schools 45 might be more imposing than 66 is at another school.

Personally, numbers below about 50 at large, housed chapters make me nervous, because we have seen the ups and downs of Greek life. If numbers dip a bit, you don't want to have to worry about filling the house. But then I think when you get to the 70ish mark, things get pretty tight.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I also wonder what the inner workings are that lead some to schools to open when there doesn't appear to be a demonstrated need. I know there can be other compelling reasons, I just wish I knew what they were in each case!
I know that in a couple of cases it's the need to bring more alumni money into the university. Greeks donate to their undergraduate alma maters almost twice as much as their non-Greek counter parts. If a university creates more Greeks, they are expanding their potential donor base. In one of my PhD research classes, we were in class with individuals from all disciplines. One of the ladies in the class was from University of Kentucky and worked in the alumni giving office and every piece of research she found indicated that students are more likely to donate to their undergrad institution than their graduate institution. Alumni who were Greek feel more highly identified with their alma mater than non Greeks and give more. At some schools, almost twice as much or more. I have a feeling this is the real reason my alma mater suddenly found land for Greek expansion after saying for two decades there was no land.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I would throw out TCU.

12 NPCs, quota in high 60s past few years. With addition of AOII there was only a small drop in quota this past year- 69 to 65.

Students choose TCU because they like the small feel of the school (<8500 undergraduates) and the small academic classes. Yet, almost all of the sororities have over 200 members. It's in complete contrast to everything else about the school. Quotas in the 40s make more sense there, and that is still an ample pool to fill the 36 bed facility each year. In addition, quotas/total at that level would allow the chapters to conduct meetings in their chapter room instead of in lecture halls.

There is talk of rebuilding the Greek village (TCU owns the Greek chapter houses) in the next 3-5 years, so my guess is they are waiting for that to open so that any new chapters start off on even footing. There is no where left to put any new chapters in the current housing.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 03-01-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think also, especially at schools that don't have chapter houses, keeping pledge glasses in the 30 or under range makes the physical restrictions of space more feasible. You have to meet somewhere other than the football stadium! Even in the largest schools with mega-houses, having a reasonable percentage of the members live in is a goal to try to obtain WITHOUT building airport sized facilities. While "those" schools are doing admirably, having quotas such that a third to half of the membership lives in seems both practical and less stressful. Not so small that EVERYONE has to live in, because that is additionally stressful, but not so many that you could have that beautiful house and never get to live in it. Plus, being a size where you can have chapter meetings in your home might be a goal. So my feeling is even at schools with huge chapter houses, a quota in the 60-75 range is probably more than sufficient. Slow expansion, of a new chapter every couple of years, should allow for the existing chapters to slowly shrink in size and not play havoc with their budgets.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know that in a couple of cases it's the need to bring more alumni money into the university. Greeks donate to their undergraduate alma maters almost twice as much as their non-Greek counter parts. If a university creates more Greeks, they are expanding their potential donor base.
You are correct. This explains recent NPC expansion on a campus near my hometown which, while perfectly filling the need for additional Greek money-giving alums, doesn't solve the university's other problems.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very puzzled that Baylor has not opened for expansion. Chapters are much too large for being unhoused in my opinion.

Totally agree Irish Pipes, large houses require bigger numbers just to pay for the upkeep of the houses and Greek Life does go in cycles. Just a footnote, according to the Vice President of Student Life ( think that is his title) at Texas A&M stated at a Greek Advisors meeting not to long ago that they expect Greek Life to double soon in part because of their membership in the SEC.