GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,374
1 members and 1,373 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamgirl06 View Post
I agree UT is in Austin. I am from Houston and have lived in Texas all my life until I went to school in Tenn. When anyone I know says UT or Texas they are talking about the one in Austin. If they go to the UT in Dallas then it is UTD or the one it San Antonio its UTSA. I mean even those schools websites call themselves UTD and UTSA. If you are applying for a job and you put down UT please mean the one in Austin. Not that UTSA or UTD arent good schools but lets be honest UT is much harder to get accepted into then the other two I mean they defer acceptance of students to attend those other schools.
Co-sign!

UTA is UT-Arlington, UTD is UT-Dallas, UTSA is UT-San Antonio, and then there's UT-Austin.

Seriously... people try to hide it all the time, but it's kind of silly.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
I can think of one girl who had a beautiful face but her full-length... Wow. I think that is a rush story I just can't tell. Although I SO WANT TO.
Did her photo show her wearing a pink beaded dress, pink tights with sequins up the back and pink high heel shoes? Just curious.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
Did her photo show her wearing a pink beaded dress, pink tights with sequins up the back and pink high heel shoes? Just curious.

I just choked on my diet coke, I laughed so hard!!!!!!!

(srmom, I love your attitude about helping women navigate recruitment-- thanks for doing that!)
Old 03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still waiting to hear how that recruitment worked out - is she as happy as her twin?

Thanks, Katmandu!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post

No, no it did not!

Speaking of Texas recruitment and roundup etc., I saw a bunch of Texas sorority members wandering around West Campus completely trashed today around 9:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh to throw more into the flames. There is UT Health Science Center in San Antonio and Houston and UTMB. Which stands for UT Medical Branch in Galveston and is the med school. No one would ever confuse UTMB with Southwestern which is the name for UT Medical school in Dallas.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitemom View Post
Oh to throw more into the flames. There is UT Health Science Center in San Antonio and Houston and UTMB. Which stands for UT Medical Branch in Galveston and is the med school. No one would ever confuse UTMB with Southwestern which is the name for UT Medical school in Dallas.
There's been so much talk lately about them starting a UT medical school that would be in Austin and a direct college within UT Austin. I think there's too much opposition for that to happen though. I personally don't know how much there is a need for it in the first place.

Speaking of public schools in Texas, did anyone see the recent thing where the legislature wants to consider starting a "third flagship public school"? I guess the idea is partially to take some of the strain off UT & A&M because of the 10% rule (well especially A&M). I don't get this idea. I thought that they were grooming Tech to take the "third flagship" role anyway and that it was already edging that way in the first place or even already there. And I also don't see why they would spend millions and millions of dollars into an entirely new school when they could use the money to build up places like Tech or even Texas State, where the basic infrastructure already exists. It's weird to me and I don't quite understand where the lobby for this is coming from.

It took me a long time to figure out in the first place that all the schools are part of different systems... In North Carolina every state school is technically part of the "UNC system" even if they don't have "UNC" in their name.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Speaking of public schools in Texas, did anyone see the recent thing where the legislature wants to consider starting a "third flagship public school"? I guess the idea is partially to take some of the strain off UT & A&M because of the 10% rule (well especially A&M). I don't get this idea. I thought that they were grooming Tech to take the "third flagship" role anyway and that it was already edging that way in the first place or even already there. And I also don't see why they would spend millions and millions of dollars into an entirely new school when they could use the money to build up places like Tech or even Texas State, where the basic infrastructure already exists. It's weird to me and I don't quite understand where the lobby for this is coming from.
The 10% rule needs to be eliminated anyway. The population has grown so much; I'm pretty sure that's why UT had to introduce the CAP program.

To be honest, I never liked the 10% rule because the 'top 10%' of a high school class could vary from one school to another.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by em_adpi View Post
To be honest, I never liked the 10% rule because the 'top 10%' of a high school class could vary from one school to another.
That's the reason I liked the 10% rule, it gave students from "less fortunate" school districts a chance to go to a good college.

Lets be honest---I was in the top 10% and I think i'm darn smart (along with the other 28 people who were in the top 10% w/ me) but I don't know if we could compete with people at more fortunate school districts in Austin, Dallas, etc.

But I know that when my cousin was a senior in HS (which was 2 years ago) the counselors told the seniors that they would no longer be accepted because they were top 10% that it was taken away.

Quote:
There's been so much talk lately about them starting a UT medical school that would be in Austin and a direct college within UT Austin. I think there's too much opposition for that to happen though. I personally don't know how much there is a need for it in the first place.
Well the medical school in Houston is SOOOOOOO crowded and so hard to get into. What gets me mad about this idea, is that there have been plans for soo long to start medical schools in other places (Like El Paso) and the buildings were built and then the board, or whoever is in charge, kept taking away the funding. The medical school should have been opened in Fall '07 or fall '08 (i should have been part of the first class).

I know a lot of people got upset here, because the person who they put in charge of the medical school hired some AWESOME doctors from around the country---very well respected doctors in their field. Then he was fired and the doctors were told that if they came to El Paso they wouldn't have a job.

The reason the funding was taken away? Because they didn't think El Paso was "worthy" of having a medical school.....they wanted the med school in Austin or some place "better." I know El Paso isn't Austin, but I don't think its a bad place and we are a unique city. The medical school would benefit b/c they would see problems here that you wouldn't really see elsewhere.

Now we were told we got funding again, so we'll see what happens.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by em_adpi View Post
The 10% rule needs to be eliminated anyway. The population has grown so much; I'm pretty sure that's why UT had to introduce the CAP program.

UT hates the 10% rule. Right now they're admitting something like 81% of freshmen based on the ten percent rule. For A&M the number is much lower, so A&M isn't as worried about it:

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.co...-3279783.shtml

Personally, I see some good and bad to the top 10% rule. As a graduate student who's really interested in having UT increase its profile among Research 1 institutions, having the rule prevents UT from keeping enrollment down, forcing them to spend more and more on undergrads and preventing them from sending money to research and to grad students. At the same time, I don't blame Texas high school grads for going to UT over other schools (including A&M, bwa hahahaha).

I just don't know what other solution they're going to come up with to remedy it. I guess the idea of the third flagship school is maybe part of it--starting from scratch and presenting an alternative to people who maybe wouldn't go to Tech or A&M over UT but would be interested in starting something new from a blank slate? I am just skeptical about whether that would really work.

One thing batted around is switching it to the fact that if you were in the top 10%, you'd be admitted to *some* Texas state school. But it seems like that would required a lot of coordination/bureaucracy between admission offices.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
That's the reason I liked the 10% rule, it gave students from "less fortunate" school districts a chance to go to a good college.

Lets be honest---I was in the top 10% and I think i'm darn smart (along with the other 28 people who were in the top 10% w/ me) but I don't know if we could compete with people at more fortunate school districts in Austin, Dallas, etc.

But I know that when my cousin was a senior in HS (which was 2 years ago) the counselors told the seniors that they would no longer be accepted because they were top 10% that it was taken away.

Well the medical school in Houston is SOOOOOOO crowded and so hard to get into. What gets me mad about this idea, is that there have been plans for soo long to start medical schools in other places (Like El Paso) and the buildings were built and then the board, or whoever is in charge, kept taking away the funding. The medical school should have been opened in Fall '07 or fall '08 (i should have been part of the first class).

I know a lot of people got upset here, because the person who they put in charge of the medical school hired some AWESOME doctors from around the country---very well respected doctors in their field. Then he was fired and the doctors were told that if they came to El Paso they wouldn't have a job.

The reason the funding was taken away? Because they didn't think El Paso was "worthy" of having a medical school.....they wanted the med school in Austin or some place "better." I know El Paso isn't Austin, but I don't think its a bad place and we are a unique city. The medical school would benefit b/c they would see problems here that you wouldn't really see elsewhere.

Now we were told we got funding again, so we'll see what happens.
It's true that at really good schools in Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc., that most of the graduating student body is probably qualified to enter UT. At the same time the University is supposed to serve the entire state, not people who happen to live in a rich school district (let's face it, good school districts are often rich ones).

In my time as an instructor I've only met one person who was admitted under the top 10% rule who seemed blatantly unqualified to attend UT. I think overall the quality of the student body is pretty high. I know they're aren't as intellectually motivated as the students I knew in undergrad, but I think that's partly something to do with the state university/liberal art college divide.

Sucks about the El Paso situation. I haven't been following it. I don't really have a strong opinion on a med school in Austin. People from other UT med schools can do their residencies at Austin hospitals anyway. I actually think UT is somewhat indifferent to the whole thing overall. Administrators are concerned about the startup costs taking away from other institutional goals. I know people involved in biology/biomedical engineering really want a med school because it would allow a lot of cross-pollination in terms of research opportunities, grant funding, etc.

Sorry to keep going back to the "third flagship" proposal but that was another thing that somewhat irked me about the proposal. It seemed a way to excuse not funding or building up schools like Tech or UTEP in under-served areas of the state in exchange for building a new school closer to the Texas population centers.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And I also don't see why they would spend millions and millions of dollars into an entirely new school when they could use the money to build up places like Tech or even Texas State, where the basic infrastructure already exists. It's weird to me and I don't quite understand where the lobby for this is coming from
EVEN Texas State? Did you know that admissions requirements for TX State are now higher than Tech? I love my alma mater, and would really like to see it get the funding it needs to be even greater. From a population standpoint, it is pretty well perfectly situated - 1 hour from San Antonio, 30 minutes (okay, 45 with traffic) from Austin, 2 1/2 - 3 and from Houston (depends where in Houston you are talking).

The lobby for this is coming from those who would profit from a new school. But I don't really see this coming to anything - not in this economy. It would cost far too much to start from scratch. And I'm sorry UTEP is still not gettin' any love - they really have been the red-haired step child for quite a while.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
EVEN Texas State? Did you know that admissions requirements for TX State are now higher than Tech? I love my alma mater, and would really like to see it get the funding it needs to be even greater. From a population standpoint, it is pretty well perfectly situated - 1 hour from San Antonio, 30 minutes (okay, 45 with traffic) from Austin, 2 1/2 - 3 and from Houston (depends where in Houston you are talking).

The lobby for this is coming from those who would profit from a new school. But I don't really see this coming to anything - not in this economy. It would cost far too much to start from scratch. And I'm sorry UTEP is still not gettin' any love - they really have been the red-haired step child for quite a while.
Oh man - didn't mean to imply anything against State. I guess I said that because I think that it's good to develop schools outside of Central Texas as well (as I posted above). But there's also an argument to be made that for the many people who want to stay in the Central Texas area Texas State really needs to be built up and funded properly. But yeah, even if there WERE the money to create a new school, I think it would be a stupid idea to do so and that it should be instead poured into the schools that are on the verge of reaching Research 1 status like Texas State, Tech, maybe UTEP... There could be others. I'm admittedly no expert on public universities in Texas.

One thing I've thought a lot about both in my home state of NC and in Texas is whether or not have the extra letters behind your name inherently regulates you to second class status. I'm thinking of UTEP, UTSA, UTA, UNC-C, etc. etc. I mean I know that's why so many schools are renaming themselves as Texas State did. I'm trying to think of schools that I think of as "elite" that have letters after their name. I guess UCLA is up there for sure. There may be others...
Old 03-29-2008, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought Tech was pretty much on the way to being the 3rd flagship school since they already have a law school as well as a medical school up and running to service West Texas population.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It seemed a way to excuse not funding or building up schools like Tech or UTEP in under-served areas of the state in exchange for building a new school closer to the Texas population centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
And I'm sorry UTEP is still not gettin' any love - they really have been the red-haired step child for quite a while.
These are both true, and its sad, but I do see it changing any time soon. It is most logical to use Tech, Texas State or another school more centrally located, it gives students a chance to have a good "college experience" outside of classes. El Paso has had MANY chances to bring great attractions and great opportunities to El Paso, but we've had lousy administration who wanted to "keep El Paso Local" So instead, we are stuck w/o a 6 flags, and instead of a Dallas Cowboys training camp, we got lousy overpriced housing.

As much as I love my city, we've pretty much shot ourself in the foot and we no one to blame but ourselves.

Quote:
I think it would be a stupid idea to do so and that it should be instead poured into the schools that are on the verge of reaching Research 1 status like Texas State, Tech, maybe UTEP... There could be others. I'm admittedly no expert on public universities in Texas.

One thing I've thought a lot about both in my home state of NC and in Texas is whether or not have the extra letters behind your name inherently regulates you to second class status.
I have no idea what a research 1 satus school is, but I could have sworn I heard that UTEP is one. I know that we have a great engineering program and a great nursing program.

I totally agree on your second point! After H.S. graduation I went to UTEP, not because I wanted to but it was my only option, and my "best friend" went to UPenn. All of a sudden her mentality changed and she was always started off her statements "as a freshman at an ivy league college", and she always tell me that I didn't understand her b/c I went to UTEP and not UT (which is supposedly closer to the "UPenn experience"). All I have to say is

I see it this way, UTEP might not be up to par with UT or A&M, but when you get out in the real world, you have to rely on what you learned and not rely on the name of your alma mater.