GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,250
3 members and 1,247 guests
JayhawkAOII, lauralaylin, PGD-GRAD

Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, ladies, I can see this may be an uphill battle but hopefully not impossible. I feel for her because I can imagine that it's tough for the new kid (and a HS senior) to approach people you've just met or hardly know and ask questions that might seem sorta pushy or nosy in order to get a personal reference....she'll just have to get out her comfort zone and do it if this is important to her! All part of the learning process I suppose.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

bejazd, tell her to start with her new friends' moms, they should be the least intimidating. After she's got "her legs under her", she can move on to teachers, etc.

The thing is, most of the women she will be approaching have been there before, or have worked with girls who have, so they will only be wanting the best for her, and will be happy to do what they can to help with recruitment. I honestly have never run across anyone who said, "nope, can't help her." when I've called someone on behalf of a girl I've known. I've never turned a girl down who needed a rec - even when I've been at my busiest.

Good luck to her!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

bejazed have her ask the people who are writing you recs if they know anyone else. I remember my daughtr asking someone and then another person over hearing and saying I will write you a rec too. Tehn she found out they didn't have they chapter at her school be she proceed to tell her 3 other people who could write her rec.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Please don't generalize. Maybe people in East Texas have always referred it to "Texas" or "UT." I've lived in Texas all my life and I've always heard it as "UT-Austin." No one that i've known has ever called it Texas or UT....not even the UT-Austin representatives that came to our high schools called it UT. Plus, all my friends at A&M call it "TU"
I've lived in Texas my entire life and have visited every part of the state and have never heard of anyone not refer to the University of Texas as "Texas" or "UT". We are the only UT. If you go to UT-Arlington, you don't say "I go to UT".

Hook 'Em.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
I've lived in Texas my entire life and have visited every part of the state and have never heard of anyone not refer to the University of Texas as "Texas" or "UT". We are the only UT. If you go to UT-Arlington, you don't say "I go to UT".

Hook 'Em.

Co-sign. Except that I did not attend UT, and I now live in another state. However, even at my non-UT school everyone refers to the school in Austin as UT or Texas.

Ep- a word of caution... it appears that you are still in school... as you begin the resume/interview process, you *really* need to refer to the school that you attend at UTEP and not UT. That could really cause some potential employers to raise an eyebrow.

And while we are it, the "university system" is not a concept unique to Texas- in fact, I believe that most if not all states have the same set-up. However, when athletic teams take the field, the "main" campus (e.g. Austin, Knoxville, Lincoln, Norman) has just the state name on their jerseys, whereas all the "system" schools always have the full inital thing.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I am pleased with living in the South.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 02-24-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I am pleased with living in the South.

????????????????????????????????????????
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I may have missed some of the nuances of the argument, but I just wanted to try to point something out:

Even at the schools where recommendations from alumnae or alumnae groups matter a lot, the active undergraduate members still vote according to the national guidelines for membership selection, as far as I know.

So any claims of "alumnae choosing the membership" are greatly exaggerated as far as I know.

I can see why who you were in high school or in your home town might seem like a lame consideration in joining an organization in college, to me it seems a little better to at least to have a little information about that rather than to base a lifelong membership decision on the couple of conversations that you might have had during recruitment or, at the most, a semester's worth of interaction on campus if rush is delayed or deferred.

So, while I generally hope undergraduate members still use their own judgment in selecting members (my goofy feelings about legacies aside), the alumnae are really just trying to provide a benefit to the PNMs and the chapters.

As far as the photos, I know that when you are trying to place someone that you think you know by name, a photo is often really helpful. The more images you've got of a girl the more likely it is that someone is going to say, "oh, yeah, I know her; she worked with my daughter's girl scout group," or whatever. If it's the alumnae groups asking for the photos, it may not be about making sure to the shuffle out all the fat girls. In my experience, the alumnae are much more concerned about character than appearance.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
????????????????????????????????????????
I wrote a really inflammatory post and I didn't feel like dealing with whining and bitching so I edited it.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Ep- a word of caution... it appears that you are still in school... as you begin the resume/interview process, you *really* need to refer to the school that you attend at UTEP and not UT. That could really cause some potential employers to raise an eyebrow.
Not to sound rude or anything....but i'm not stupid.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEinZTA View Post
No, her face isn't enough. The pictures some girls send in look NOTHING like them. By sending in full length pictures we get a better idea of who's who. It also helps in matching because we don't want to pair someone who's 5'0" on a girl who's 5'11". And yes, that REALLY IS what we do.
I wish we had had this during my recruitment years...it would have helped conversations between PNMs and actives that have significant height differences. I can still see some of the photos in my mind of women who walked in the door on Open House day and no one was able to recognize them.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
We used to get these huge packages with the full-length pics for the Texas girls back when I was in undergrad (can I say that?). We were happy to get them as recs are moderately common at W&L, but the Texas packets were definitely the most intense...

I can think of one girl who had a beautiful face but her full-length... Wow. I think that is a rush story I just can't tell. Although I SO WANT TO.

And yeah... UT is UT is UT is.... Texas.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I was the senior homeroom teacher at a private school in Houston. I had a white erase board with all the students' names, and I would write their college acceptances on the board. One student was accepted to UTSA, so I dutifully wrote "UTSA" by his name. He kept erasing the "SA", which irritated his fellow classmates, so finally they drew Shamu (there is a Sea World in San Antonio) by his name.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can think of one girl who had a beautiful face but her full-length... Wow. I think that is a rush story I just can't tell. Although I SO WANT TO.
Oh, do tell. PLEASEEEEE (said in my best whining voice).
Old 03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I was the senior homeroom teacher at a private school in Houston. I had a white erase board with all the students' names, and I would write their college acceptances on the board. One student was accepted to UTSA, so I dutifully wrote "UTSA" by his name. He kept erasing the "SA", which irritated his fellow classmates, so finally they drew Shamu (there is a Sea World in San Antonio) by his name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post

Hook 'Em.

I agree UT is in Austin. I am from Houston and have lived in Texas all my life until I went to school in Tenn. When anyone I know says UT or Texas they are talking about the one in Austin. If they go to the UT in Dallas then it is UTD or the one it San Antonio its UTSA. I mean even those schools websites call themselves UTD and UTSA. If you are applying for a job and you put down UT please mean the one in Austin. Not that UTSA or UTD arent good schools but lets be honest UT is much harder to get accepted into then the other two I mean they defer acceptance of students to attend those other schools.