GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,265
1 members and 2,264 guests
Xidelt

Old 11-30-2005, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

College of Charleston

I was hoping y'all could tell me about sorority recruitment at College of Charleston. I'm attending there in the fall and I want any general information that y'all may know. I've looked at their panhellenic council's site and the sororities' sites but theres some stuff that they don't tell you on there. Anything you know about it would be a great help, but I guess my biggest question is how competitive is it and how necessary/common are recs? Thanks for any advice!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2005, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

hahaha, just kidding but my post looked so sad and lonely without any replies SOO anyone who has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ejbiff Send a message via Yahoo to ejbiff
Try looking at the National sites for each chapter on that campus to get more information. If you have questions about getting recommendations, try calling the Greek Life office at the school or try gettng ahold of an Alumni chapter in the area.

Also, do a search on this site for advice- this question has been asked a million times before!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Unregistered-

I've always believed that online sources are good for general information only. That being said, if you can't find it on the PHC website and in the individual chapter sites, then you most likely won't find it anywhere else.

No official site will tell you "this is how competitive it is..." or whether or not you need recs.

Ditto with contacting the Greek Life office and alums in the area. Unless they're from that campus, no one from GC would really know how Recruitment's like over there. If you need help getting a hold of Panhellenic Alumnae Chapters there, you can get more info at www.npcwomen.org
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush at Charleston is low key for a southern rush but its still structered.
Recs are not required and not everyone gets them but if you are out of state i highly recommend them. They definitely help with people getting to recognize you before you get in the door.
In early summer there should be a greek book to come out with examples of what to wear and other information to know about sororities and recruitment.
Charleston has a laid back greek system that is fun. The sororities are all good chapters and have a wide variety of personas. You should be able to find a chapter that you fit in with.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't go to C of C, but I have friends in most of the chapters down there. The one thing that I love about C of C's system is that they are all great chapters, and it's really about finding where you fit in.

I'd get rec's if I could, but don't stress out about it, either. It's not like USC rush where you're going to HAVE to have them to get noticed, but they won't hurt you, either.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to all y'all for your advice. Its made me feel a lot calmer about rush knowing that its more low key than big SEC recruitment, especially with all my friends who are heading off to big southern schools worring about how many recs they should get for each house and if their step grandmother's cousin twice removed illigitament's daughter makes her a legacy to sorority ABC. So again, thanks for the help!!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

"godmother" I saw that one once listed in legacy relationship.

For the record the people who make you a legacy: mother, grandmother, sister

Aunt doesn't count. Mine's an AZD, and I got quickly corrected once that I am not ACTUALLY an AZD leg.

*sorry for the hijack*
Old 12-08-2005, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, Alpha Xi Delta has changed its national by-laws to includes the aunt/niece relationship as a legacy recently.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa counts Aunts as well, and we specifically allow step-moms/sisters/aunts. I looked into this before recruitment this year and out of the 5 on campus we're the only ones that count aunts and possibly the only one that spells out acceptance of "steps" (all based on the other sororities' national websites)

As almighty computer database goddess this year, it was interesting to see all the info about the PNMs. Kinda cool to try and interpret motivations based on legacies, even those off campus. (Not that I used my interpretations in anyway, I was basically treated as an alumna for everything)
Old 12-11-2005, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by axidgl
Actually, Alpha Xi Delta has changed its national by-laws to includes the aunt/niece relationship as a legacy recently.
*good to know*

It must have been within the last four years. Not like it matters to me or my younger sister... AZD's not at USC, anyway.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

CofC Recruitment

I am the Recruitment Advisor for my Chapter at CofC. I'd be happy to impartially answer any questions you might have about how things work there or put you in touch with the Greek Advisor if I feel that my answering a particular question would be inappropriate.

Good luck!