GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,087
1 members and 1,086 guests
No Members online

Old 01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref question

Hey, we just went through winter recruitment and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the bid-matching software works:

If I know that there are girls who preffed us who did not get a bid from us, does that mean every girl in our pledge class preffed us? What about quota additions? (we were +1...)

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeyD View Post
Hey, we just went through winter recruitment and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the bid-matching software works:

If I know that there are girls who preffed us who did not get a bid from us, does that mean every girl in our pledge class preffed us? What about quota additions? (we were +1...)

Thanks!
If you know that there were girls that you had on your bid list who did not get bids from you and you also know that the girls who did not get bids to you listed you first on their bid card (or whatever it's called, I mean final ranking of chapters that you'd accept bids from), I'd guess that would mean that all the girls in your pledge class were on your original bid list.

But you'd have to know your own group's membership selection rules about prefs and bid lists and you'd have to know how PNMs who didn't get bids from your ranked your groups, as well as your own campus rules about what happens if a girl on a bid list skips a pref party.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 01-31-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks!
It depends on where you put the girls in your pledge class on your bid list. If you put them high and they ranked your chapter first its a match.

It would also depend on where the other chapters the PNMs preffed ranked them. If a girl ranked the other chapter first and she was higher on THEIR bid list than your chapters list...she matches to that chapter and not yours.

Not too sure about quota additions..

Hope that helped a bit!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If I know that there are girls who preffed us who did not get a bid from us, does that mean every girl in our pledge class preffed us?
Not necessarily. As others have mentioned, bid matching is not only dependent on your chapter's bid list, but also on everyone else's. There are a few threads explaining the basics.

Quote:
What about quota additions? (we were +1...)
If you are asking if they ranked your chapter first on their MRABA, again, not necessarily. QAs are placed using several different criteria.

Congratulations on a successful recruitment!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
as has been noted .. not necessarily .. if a PNM that is on your first bid list put your chapter second, but the chapter she placed first filled to quota before reaching her name on their bid list .. (ie she was on their second bid list somewhere).. then she would match to your chapter and receive your bid.

it all depends on the order of your bid list, the order of other chapter's bid lists and the order the PNMs rank chapters.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Every girl in your pledge class may not have ranked you first. Bid matching also depends on the order in which the GIRLS rank their final choices, not just yours.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
as has been noted .. not necessarily .. if a PNM that is on your first bid list put your chapter second, but the chapter she placed first filled to quota before reaching her name on their bid list .. (ie she was on their second bid list somewhere).. then she would match to your chapter and receive your bid.
That's what I was missing -- I knew it couldn't be that simple. Thanks to everyone who replied!

(that people figured out bidlists before there were computers continues to amaze me )
Old 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota additions as explained to me are girls that fully participate in recruitment, but are not matched to any sorority. So if I put ABC as my first choice and XYZ as my second choice (I went to both pref parties) and fall to low on both of ABC's and XYZ's list then I go to the Chapter with the lowest numbers. So if ABC has 100 members and XYZ has 95 members I go to XYZ even if it is my second choice.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's what I was missing -- I knew it couldn't be that simple. Thanks to everyone who replied!

(that people figured out bidlists before there were computers continues to amaze me )
I have never done hand bid matching, but the Advisor I work with has and she said it was very weird and took a long time. She said the only thing that was cool about it was that you knew where every one was going.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
I have never done hand bid matching, but the Advisor I work with has and she said it was very weird and took a long time. She said the only thing that was cool about it was that you knew where every one was going.
I wouldn't say it was weird, but it took all night! Of course, we had 18 chapters at our school, it is obviously why.

Yes, you knew where everyone was going and which PNMs were everyone's Rush Crush. But, everyone knew how it really worked.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Ours didn't take that long, but we only had 4 chapters. It was through hand matching that I came to fully understand the process. I loved it! It was so exciting to say "Match!"
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I will be hand bid matching one week from tonight. Our campus only has 4 chapters and about 40-50 PNMs. It takes about 40-60 minutes.

"the foundation precept of Zeta Tau Alpha was love, the greatest of all things." -ZTA creed
Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

What hasn't been said about bid matching, by hand or by computer, is that the PNM's first choice is the driver. In the olden days, the women's cards were alphabetized. Amy Adams name is called and her #1 is announced. The representative from her #1 checks her first bid list and if Amy Adams is on it, the rep calls Match. If Amy isn't on the first bid list, her card is held until all cards are read, matched or not. Then the process begins again until all possible matches are made. The computer system operates the same way, it's just invisible and the reps aren't there watching.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTransplant View Post
What hasn't been said about bid matching, by hand or by computer, is that the PNM's first choice is the driver. In the olden days, the women's cards were alphabetized. Amy Adams name is called and her #1 is announced. The representative from her #1 checks her first bid list and if Amy Adams is on it, the rep calls Match.
This made me laugh, because it sounds like playing Battleship.