GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,805
Threads: 114,778
Welcome to our newest member, Jenlh
» Online Users: 407
6 members and 401 guests
AGDAlum, PGD-GRAD, rmonclermc10071, unarose

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I promised my friends I wasn't going to comment here because of the very obvious Arizona Alpha Phi connections to this issue. You can google it, folks. Breaking my promise to say this:

beckymer92 you aren't even an NPC member. You don't have any sort of grasp on the bigger picture or the real issues that are at stake. This isn't just about Alpha Phi and we all know it. You're clueless. You miss all the important points and keep harping on looks. Your shallow trolling is beyond obvious. Have a seat. Or not. Whatever.

On the very remote, minute chance that you are an NPC member, boy howdy and an eye roll and a sigh is all I got for you. Sure would like to know your chapter. Statistically we are going to have people like you in our membership and typically they don't prevail or last long. I looked at all your posts and I am confident that you are not one of us. At this point you're just a pathetic joke. I don't need to defend my Panhellenic sisters and our combined membership. So go back under your bridge and stay the hell out of something you know nothing about.

Oh, AZTheta, I'm so glad you broke your promise! I always enjoy your take on things. Thank you.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I'm not going to lie. I'm refrained from adding to this thread. I was a national officer for Sigma Kappa working with the chapter at the University of Michigan (as well as about 15 other chapters) regarding recruitment when this person was her recruitment chair. I'm going to say blatantly that I'm honored to know that I wasn't that person coming in as a national officer and having any chapter act or even have to question their integrity in this way. When I first read it, I was appalled and I felt so bad for the women brainwashed to think this was even marginally okay. It made me wonder if this is how certain chapters justify hazing over and over again. "It's the history of the chapter. It isn't really mean, it's in the best interest" etc. Personally, I assumed this was something just happening at this one campus. Maybe I'm naive. It hurts my heart that women and alumnae are coming out from this organization and confirming the truth. This is not the reality of 90% of NPC membership. This hurts me as a Panhellenic woman. I don't want any young women to enter into an organization that is supposed to instill personal growth, to learn that everything is appearance based. It's not my organization. I have no voice, or say. However, I am so so sad. My heart hurts for the collegiate and alumnae members who are hurting that a vow they pledged even to any degree has turned into something so much less than that. I hope for you all that the vows you pledged are restored across ALL your collegiate chapters.

I don't know what else to say.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Beckymer92, what sorority and chapter are you a member of? I'm a member of the Zeta Nu chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at Clemson University and we do not chose our members exclusively off of looks, before you ask me.
Old Today, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Beckymer92, what sorority and chapter are you a member of? I'm a member of the Zeta Nu chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at Clemson University and we do not chose our members exclusively off of looks, before you ask me.
My chapter isn't relevant to the conversation and neither is yours nor am I asking if (or saying that) a chapter does/should rush based solely on looks.

I'm saying that rushing based on looks will still net a chapter filled with great women, APhi is doing very well no matter if they are or aren't rushing based on looks alone and we don't know if there is an APhi policy of rushing based on looks alone. I can't be any more clear and really don't have time to continue repeating myself.
Old Today, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckymer92 View Post
I'm saying that rushing based on looks will still net a chapter filled with great women, APhi is doing very well no matter if they are or aren't rushing based on looks alone and we don't know if there is an APhi policy of rushing based on looks alone. I can't be any more clear and really don't have time to continue repeating myself.

I've been reading along with your posts and I get what you're saying. Really, I do.

Think where there is a disconnect is that we're not saying that, all other things being equal (GPA, accomplishments, etc), a chapter should go ahead and pick the ugliest girls in the bunch over the better looking ones. No one is saying that attractive women cannot also be intelligent and accomplished. Of course the total package is highly desired. If a chapter can filled up with beautiful AND intelligent women, awesome. I follow you on that.

I think, though, your position appears to be operating on the assumption that all good-looking women are always intelligent, talented and of good character. You may not have intended that, but that's how some of your posts come across to me. What I'm saying is that is not always the case. It is not good to over-focus on looks to the detriment of more important qualities. It would not be a good thing for a chapter to dismiss a highly qualified girl who is a 7/10 in looks in favor of a 9/10 with weaker qualifications.

I think that many of us are aghast because it appears that the sorority in the essay is being depicted as disregarding other, more important qualities in favor of a highly appearance-based system. THAT is what we object to. Do we KNOW for sure that the attractive new members who were bid at that chapter had lesser qualifications? No, you're right, I guess we don't. I get what you're saying when you say that you think whatever they're doing is working for them.

Buuuuut......there is still the matter of looks being used to unceremoniously weed out highly-qualified and well-liked women because an outsider deemed them as "less attractive" than other rushees. And the matter of looks being used to separate sisters from other sisters. Looks are important, but not to such a great extent.

I believe it's a slippery slope. That, in order to maintain the status of having the most attractive members, there could be a tendency to start dipping lower on the other qualifications in order to make sure you keep pulling in the prettiest ones. Again, attractive doesn't automatically mean the woman is also moral, kind or smart. It's just too tempting to disregard the inner characteristics in favor of the outward ones.

In short, you said, "...rushing based on looks will still net a chapter filled with great women..." and I'm saying, no, that's not always the case. If I only picked the 9s and 10s in looks and considered nothing else, then I am gambling with my chapter.

I took the time to sincerely try to understand what you were saying. Can you see where I am coming from?

Connect. Impact. Shine.
Old Today, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Navane, yes, I do get what you are saying. The tension between chapter self-autonomy and nat'l oversight is always a real issue. Also, thank you for your reasoned tone.

It's always a gamble trying to craft a class of girls without knowing each in more depth than the limited time that rush allows. There will always be girls that don't live up to expectations. I'm saying that you will not get any more or any fewer duds by prioritizing the pretty ones because we just can't stereotype attractive women with negative traits.

Chapters frequently have specific personalities. Those focusing on academics or high school/camp connections or Jewishness or cheer or athleticism is no different than one focusing on attractiveness. IF there is a nat'l policy (I'm not convinced there is) I understand trying to analyze it but in the end, we have a sorority that does well all over the country.