GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,087
0 members and 1,087 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2004, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HollisterDXiChi Send a message via Yahoo to HollisterDXiChi
Question...

Say I was to affiliate with a National and I became a colony. Would I be able to wear my Nationals colors and letters or does that happen only after my local sorority is initiated in and is officially whatever national it is that chose us? Just wonderin' Thanks
Old 08-16-2004, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Question...

Quote:
Originally posted by HollisterDXiChi
Say I was to affiliate with a National and I became a colony. Would I be able to wear my Nationals colors and letters or does that happen only after my local sorority is initiated in and is officially whatever national it is that chose us? Just wonderin' Thanks
I joined a colony (that wasn't a local, it was founded from the ground up) but I wore letters and colors as soon as I pledged!!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

It really depends on what group you colonize with...or maybe I'm wrong?

I've noticed some groups on my campus don't let their new members wear letters when they get pinned, and some do. For the ones that don't, I don't now if it's a national thing, or a chapter thing, because I've never asked.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Unregistered-

Re: Question...

Quote:
Originally posted by HollisterDXiChi
I've never heard of a group not letting their NMs wear their colors, but as far as letters go, it would depend on the organization you affiliate with.

Some NPCs allow their NMs to wear their letters as soon as bid day, and some prohibit their NMs from wearing them until Initiation Day.

If you're interested in individual GLO letter wearing rules, I know there have been numerous threads on GC about that topic.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EXColony
For Sigma Chi...

Colonies CAN wear the words 'Sigma Chi' and the pledge pin (Norman Shield) and cannot call themselves Sigma Chi and are required to give themself a different greek name. We are Sigma Sigma Chi.

We CAN NOT wear the Greek letters of Sigma Chi, crest and flag.

Like someone else said the rules are different for most groups.

I THINK... Pi Kapp colonies are afforded all the rights of chapters.

JP
Old 08-16-2004, 01:35 AM

Once you become a colony, you and the other young women are then officially pledged to XYZ, and are entitled to all the privileges of being New Members. If the organization you affiliate with allows it's New Members to wear letters ( I can only think of a few NPC's that don't), then yes you may.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Our colony of Sigma Nu was able to wear everything except for the crest. We called ourselves a Sigma Nu "colony" (normally you'd have a chapter designation, ours is Mu Tau now).

Just be sure to ask whatever national group you are petitioning. NPC colonies don't usually take very long to get chapter status from what I've seen.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-16-2004, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa considers it hazing to not allow our new pledges to wear our letters. But I've noticed that a lot of chapters just don't encourage sisters to buy the new pledges anything w/ letters on them until after they are initiated. If a new pledge was to purchase something w/ the letters on them or anything it wouldn't be a big deal. I think they just like the tradition of presenting something w/ our letters on them to the new members after initiation.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Hollister, I have reread this several times 6-7 now to be exact.

I am still trying to get a grip on exactly what you are saying!

How, as you say become an Affiliate with a National Greek Organization and then become a Member of a Local?

Am I reading this all wrong?

You cannot become an Afilliated Member, (Initiated) of a National Organizatin and then a local and expect to be a Member if That Local Goes with another National.

Please explain a little more???

If it is as I read some of the Other Posts, and some of this does have nothing to do with it, LXA, You can Wear The Letters, but Not The Coat Of Arms.

It is called Advertising that you have Joined a Certain Greek Letter organization along with The New Associate Pin!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-29-2004, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aasudragonfly Send a message via Yahoo to aasudragonfly
We just went through the samething. We were a local sorority who affiliated with a national (Tri Sigma). We could not wear our letters untill we were pinned.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HollisterDXiChi Send a message via Yahoo to HollisterDXiChi
Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
Sigma Kappa considers it hazing to not allow our new pledges to wear our letters. But I've noticed that a lot of chapters just don't encourage sisters to buy the new pledges anything w/ letters on them until after they are initiated. If a new pledge was to purchase something w/ the letters on them or anything it wouldn't be a big deal. I think they just like the tradition of presenting something w/ our letters on them to the new members after initiation.
My question was pretty much answered by everyone. It was I was a local wanting to affiliate with a National, can I wear the Nationals colors, letters, etc? You answered it too.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
What is the difference between afflicating with a national and a colony?
Old 08-29-2004, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyP
What is the difference between afflicating with a national and a colony?
Becoming a colony is the first step to affiliating- or becoming a chapter of XYZ. You are first approved to be a colony and will be refered to as "a colony of XYZ". During your colonization preiod, you learn what it takes to be a functioning chapter of the national. You learn all the history, etc, just like any other new member of XYZ. Once XYZ feels that you will be able to function well as a chapter, you are all initiated as members of XYZ, and become a full-fledged chapter.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:15 AM
PoohsHoneyBee

I was part of a colony too.

As soon as we colonized and became Colony Mu we were able to wear the colors and the letters.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
When I joined my chapter we were still a colony. Delta Zeta, Iota Colony. We were allowed to wear letters, colors, but called ourselves a colony not a chapter. We all however, were not allowed to wear the badge or crest until initiated (we were not initiated until our colony was installed as a chapter). Until then we still all wore the new member pin, even those who were not new members because we had not all been initiated yet. Initation is afforded only to members of installed chapters. When our colony became installed, all of us who had joined when we were still a colony were initiated and learned the ritual and were given badges and the rights to wear the crest. Now that we are a full-fledged chapter we initiate as regular chapters do ie, new members wear the new member pin until initiaion when they are given the badge of Delta Zeta. Our new members are allowed to wear letters, it gets our presence out, and would suck IMHO to not be able to wear them, however, I understand the reasoning behind not letting new members wear letters that they do not know what they stand for.

For locals who have not yet affiliated with a chapter or been colonised yet, I am unsure of what the ruling is. Probably depends on the National which you plan to affliate with.

L.