GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Delta Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 979
0 members and 979 guests
No Members online

Old 01-19-2004, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
ADPi Extracurricular Activities

Per Honey's request , here's a brand new thread about different things we've been up to that are not *directly* ADPi-related!

So last night, I helped out with the middle school lock-in at my church, based on our youth pastor asking if I'd help chaperone (I've been helping with the Senior High activities for the past year, and he really needed a female chaperone for the middle schoolers, or else he'd have to cancel the lock-in) Anyways, it started at 8pm last night and went until 8am this morning. They started the evening off with watching Pirates of the Carribean, in the middle of which (I haven't seen it, so it kinda stunk!) I had to go on a soda run to the store because the pastor didn't think that 15 middle schoolers would drink as much as they did

After we stopped the movie (before the end), we went into the sanctuary and introduced ourselves to the others there, and then we broke up into teams and played capture the flag, which is something I've never done before...it was a lot of fun! After that, we broke off to do smaller group things on our own, so us chaperones were circulating between the different rooms. We again gathered as a large group and played Sardines, which is a lot of fun in a empty church (especially in the dark), and when that was over, the girls and guys decided to switch *sleeping* rooms, so we wound up in the Sanctuary and the guys were in the fireside room (but there were more guys that were going to try and sleep in the small fireside room!), and at that point (about 3 this morning) is when I finally fell asleep...the girls were great, no problem whatsoever. We got up at 7 this morning and the chaperones worked together to cook breakfast for the kids, and they all started shuffling out around 7:30 or so, and I stayed after to help the pastor get a little of the mess cleaned up before I came home and crashed for four more hours of sleep!

So that was my eventful night...can't wait until the senior high ski trip a week from this Friday
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds like fun! I love to hear of really active youth groups at church or temple! The kids at my church are incredible - and I'm going to brag a little about them (before saying what I was originally going to post!). My church has grown by leaps & bounds in the past 6 years - we often get as many as 600 kids for "Wednesday Night Live"!

They raise money and take classes on spiritual growth during the year, then come summer, they take weekly turns going to a small town in Appalachia, and do amazing things! They paint for people, fix fences, show better childcare ideas, cook, etc - everything that needs to be done in this little town. They have a sense of stewardship, and will occasionally bring someone back to visit. These kids, grades 7-12, have a better sense of witness and hands on loving than I did in school!!

One kid was telling us what he did last summer, and among the things he listed was "I put astroturf on her porch" and there was some giggling. He responded, "Honestly, she wanted it!!"

It's capped off by the Youth for Christ Rally in DC at the end of the summer. I'm thrilled to say that fully 20% of the graduating seniors at least start out in missionary training, seminary, or theological studies!

They will be collecting for "Souper Bowl Sunday" (do they do this in other cities?), but little do they know that ee adults are already conspiring to make sure they get some pretty steep donations!

Didn't mean to brag, because the end result is the same: Blessed be those who are working with the youth of this country, to teach them the values of a concerned and believing society!!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

This won't be a big surprise!

Outside of Alpha Delta Pi, I'm very involved with genealogy and lineage societies. My mama told me stories about both her and my daddy's families from the time I was a baby, and doing the genealogical proofs validates them for me.

For a while, it got on my nerves. If I came home and said, "I can't (fill in the blank), my mama would say, "If your g-g-grandmother Kate can cross this country in a covered wagon, having 15 kids, you can certainly (fill in the blank)!" I hated Kate! But as I grew older, I realized that she had accomplished no mean feat, and the same with my other (not so prolific!) ancestors.

Currently, I'm the Registrar of my DAR chapter, which means that I help prepare & prove the lineages of prospective members. I also am qualified to give genealogical workshops on the same. I belong to other lineage societies, some which are obscure & others you may have actually heard of - but Kate's mother is driving me crazy in not leaving a paper trail, and she's an important link to the Mayflower Society. *sigh* It's probably karma getting back at me!

I'm also a facilitator for a Christ-oriented divorce recovery seminar, called Fresh Start. That's only 2-3 times a year, but is very draining & highly rewarding at the same time.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

What a great & timely thread for me! I have to help with my church's youth group lock in. Any suggestions? Do you think we should go with a theme? What about activities- midnight bowling, etc.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by WLFEO
What a great & timely thread for me! I have to help with my church's youth group lock in. Any suggestions? Do you think we should go with a theme? What about activities- midnight bowling, etc.
Our junior high didn't have a theme....they met at the church at 8pm, and we watched part of a movie, then played some games, then each did our own little thing (play video games, board games, sit and read, sleep ), played some more games, and then the girls went to the sanctuary and crashed (yay!) Have activities planned is a great idea....keeps the night moving, and if you can stay up all night (and sleep all day the next day), even better!

I actually just got back from helping chaperone the senior high ski trip to Big Bear this weekend. It was so much fun, but I've come home sick I'll try and post more details tomorrow, but I will say this....it was REALLY COLD!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Re: What we're doing here at UCLA

Quote:
Originally posted by UCLAgirl
We have found that by getting involved even a little has made a huge difference with getting our name out there for recruitment.
This should be noted by EVERY chapter!!!! We targeted 5 organizations when I was an active, and tried to get sisters involved in at least one of them (we had a 2 extracurricular minimum). We "owned" two of the clubs, and trust me, PNMs knew it from Day One!

Kudos to your chapter, UCLAgirl, and for your own activities!!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I have to agree that it works great to get people from other organizations alpha's and delta's are involved in... Personally I was in a bunch of different groups... let's see if I can list them all... Oh and yes I was active in each of these...

-Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
-Golden Key Honor Society
-Gamma Beta Phi Honor and Service Society
-Mortar Board Honor Society
-Order of Omega
-Society of Physics Students
-Northern Arizona Astronomy Association

In addition I also worked at the US Geological Survey analyzing Mars data...

And to think, now I am not doing much as I sit and wait to get into grad school...

Oh and also outside of college I am a member of the Mars Society and the Planetary Society...

And let me state that we did actually have another Astronomy Major in the chapter...
Old 02-05-2004, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Since it's Primary season.... just a reminder for everyone to VOTE! It's painless and quick... I PROMISE

Having said that, outside of ADPi I'm very involved with (not trying to sway votes!) various political organizations. I currently hold of position of Issuses Liason for the Young Democrats of America, I am National Committeewoman for the Tennessee Young Democrats, and I am also Pres. of the Chattanooga Young Dems.

I am currently involved with a Presidential Campaign, and I am LOVING it. This is my favorite time of year... You can't beat a 3am yard sign blitz!!

edited for spelling... never my strong point!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

We also required (or attempted to require) at least 2 organizations for each member. I know I have not a chance in the world of naming all of the organizations I was involved in as a collegiate at one time or another, but here goes:

Undergraduate-
Zip Recruiters
College Democrats
BACCHUS and GAMMA
Associated Student Government
Women in Communications
Order of Omega
Rho Lambda
Omicron Delta Kappa
Mortarboard National Honor Society
Officer on Panhellenic Council
Officer on Greek Programming Committee
Intramural sports
Student Assistant at the university's alumni office
(Awards- Dean’s List at The University of Akron, The Thomas J. Vukovich Outstanding Leadership Award, The University of Akron Greek Woman of the Year 2000, The University of Akron A-Key Award, and Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities.)

Graduate school-
Graduate Assistant
PAUSSA
Pi Alpha Alpha
American Society for Quality
(Awards- Outstanding Woman in Higher Education)

In the past few years I have been involved as a volunteer on elections days for Summit County's Democratic Party, overly involved in the Akron Area Alumnae Assoc of ADPi, web editor for Beta Tau and Akron Area Alum Assoc websites, was an all-star cheerleading coach, had a brief stint as a volunteer at the YMCA teaching a cheerleading class, and was an officer on the now defunct Akron Panhellenic Assoc. I am also currently taking a Pilates class and am picking up yoga also next session. Did I mention I work a 40 hour a week job! I truly do admire those of you who do all this and more, and also have children!!!

Yes...I am busy!!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Adelphean
Since it's Primary season.... just a reminder for everyone to VOTE! It's painless and quick... I PROMISE

Having said that, outside of ADPi I'm very involved with (not trying to sway votes!) various political organizations. I currently hold of position of Issuses Liason for the Young Democrats of America, I am National Committeewoman for the Tennessee Young Democrats, and I am also Pres. of the Chattanooga Young Dems.

I am currently involved with a Presidential Campaign, and I am LOVING it. This is my favorite time of year... You can't beat a 3am yard sign blitz!!

edited for spelling... never my strong point!
Who's campaign are you involved with? Go Dems! I am so happy to know that someone else is taking a stand! Also, one of the Beta Tau's is a Howard Dean delegate. PM me if you don't want to say who you are following.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

One of the best experiences in my life parlaying being the youngest delegate to a Democratic National Convention into a job on the Presidential Advance Team! It will be something that I will never, ever forget.

But now I'm a Republican. As the saying goes, "If you're young and aren't a liberal, you have no heart. If you grow up and aren't a conservative, you have no brain."
Old 02-05-2004, 01:57 PM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
But now I'm a Republican. As the saying goes, "If you're young and aren't a liberal, you have no heart. If you grow up and aren't a conservative, you have no brain."
Bwahahahahahaa I agree
Old 02-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Please remember that I'm quoting that! I would never have believed it when I was 18!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Who's campaign are you involved with? Go Dems! I am so happy to know that someone else is taking a stand! Also, one of the Beta Tau's is a Howard Dean delegate. PM me if you don't want to say who you are following.

I'm supporting John Kerry for the primary, and will fully support ANY Democrat who gets the nomination!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Adelphean

I'm supporting John Kerry for the primary, and will fully support ANY Democrat who gets the nomination!
I love it! I have to agree on fully supporting any democratic candidate! Changes need to happen in IMHO. GO ADELPHEAN!