GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,121
0 members and 1,121 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2003, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Missing recruitment

My sister lives in Houston and is pregnant, nearing her due date. Because of complications, they are scheduling a C-section for next Monday, August the 18th. It's almost a week and a half earlier than her original due date. Problem? YES! Recruitment starts the 16th, and the 18th is the second day of Round One Parties. I'VE BEEN PLANNING FOR THIS FOR MONTHS! I spent weeks getting recommendations and pictures, meeting with alums and talking to actives, making a good resume. I mean, I love my sister and I will be there for her - this is her first child and I promised her - but I'm really upset about missing recruitment I feel like all of my preparing has been in vain. I also feel selfish for being so upset. Is there any way I can contact Greek Affairs and see what they would suggest? Should I just try to see if anyone is COBing right after Bid Day? I actually have no idea what to do, but I still want to join a sorority! Does anyone have any ideas? I know you were all looking forward to an LSU Rush thread, and hopefully I will not let you all down...

Last edited by Moxie; 08-13-2003 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

OH NO! I hope something gets worked out for you... But, being there when your niece or nephew is born is such a wonderful thing - I know this from experience. Hopefully someone will be COBing and you'll absolutely fall in love with them.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Contact Greek Affairs and tell them your situation. Perhaps they can help you. I wish you the best!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, geez, I must be a cold-hearted b*itch. I'd skip the C-section!
I live 500 miles away from my family and I couldn't be at the birth of my niece. I am sure it is wonderful, but sometimes you just can't make it for things. I don't feel like I am any less of an aunt because I wasn't at the birth.

Gosh, I sound horrible right now! Please don't flame me folks. I just know how much Moxie has been looking forward to this and preping for it. And as crummy as it sounds, we all know LSU sororities don't have a need for COB. And I would think the only thing Greek Affairs could do is not penalize you and let you continue on Tues. with second rounds, but you'd only have half the groups able to invite you back. But would you even be able to make 2nd rounds?

Know what, though, you have a wonderful sister at home, so you really do know what the meaning of true sisterhood is. Good luck to you and your sister. And please don't think I'm a horrible person because I skipped by niece's birth!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
If you really want to be there...and you sound like you do...I would contact the office of greek life...even if that means that you will only have chances to be invited back to half the parties because of missing that day, atleast you would not be giving up the oportunity entirly...
Old 08-13-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xo_kathy
If you're a cold-hearted b*tch, that makes two of us.

I'm sure that being able to witness your little niece or nephew being born would be a wonderful thing. But rush is an amazing experience that could change your life, and at LSU it is likely a one-time-only opportunity (we all know that most LSU sororities don't COB and chances of getting a bid next year are slim). You will probably have another chance to see a niece or nephew being born, but not another chance to go through rush at LSU.

Talk to your sister and see what she says. If she sees that rush is something you really, really want to do, she will probably insist that you do that instead. I know I would, if I were in her place.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow- tough choice- I'll keep you in my prayers.

Facebook
Old 08-13-2003, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
If you're a cold-hearted b*tch, that makes two of us.
Make that three!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I've gotta join the "cold-hearted b*itch" club on this one, unfortunately. You have to choose between the two.

Some of us aren't going to lie to you, and we don't want to give you false hopes.

Reality (which SUCKS) is that you're giong to have to pic between the two. Even if you got excused from that day somehow, it's probably going to hurt you (regardless of whether or not it should). Also, would it be possible for you to even miss just one day and be back for the next? She's in Houston, you're in Baton Rouge. It's not exactly a 1 hour car drive away.

Are you going to actually be a part of the birth, or will you be in the waiting room with the rest of the family? I know they've gotten more liberal about who's in the room during the birth. But being that it's a c-section, i'd imagine that they're more strict because it's actual surgery? Someone who's done this before could answer that.

Your future neice and nephew is going to be on the rest of this earth for many many years (baring anything extremelly unfortunate). Seeing him or her a few days later is not going to be that much of a difference. They're not going to look or act much different. They're still going to be an adorable bundle of joy who sleeps all day and cries it's head off intermittently

Rush isn't going to be there a week, a year, a decade later.

Bottom line is that LSU is a cuthroat rush. There's a massive amount of girls, and they'll make cuts however they can. A girl missing a party, even if excused, is an easy cut.

Few, if any groups COB. Rushing next year isn't exactly much of an option either. Hate to sound dramatic, but if you want to be in a sorority, you're going to have to do it.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xo_kathy
I live 500 miles away from my family and I couldn't be at the birth of my niece. I am sure it is wonderful, but sometimes you just can't make it for things. I don't feel like I am any less of an aunt because I wasn't at the birth.

Gosh, I sound horrible right now! Please don't flame me folks. I just know how much Moxie has been looking forward to this and preping for it. And as crummy as it sounds, we all know LSU sororities don't have a need for COB. And I would think the only thing Greek Affairs could do is not penalize you and let you continue on Tues. with second rounds, but you'd only have half the groups able to invite you back. But would you even be able to make 2nd rounds?

Know what, though, you have a wonderful sister at home, so you really do know what the meaning of true sisterhood is. Good luck to you and your sister. And please don't think I'm a horrible person because I skipped by niece's birth!!!
I agree with you 100%
Old 08-13-2003, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
Make that three!
Well, the list now has four cold-hearted bitches, because I agree: Go participate in rush. I realize that your first niece/nephew is only going to be born once, but if it were me, I'd choose rush over waiting around in a scary old smelly hospital. If you were at another school I might say something different, but we've all heard about LSU's rush. You can spend loads of time with the kid after s/he is born, but you might never get another chance to rush.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

i agree with kddani and JennRN.

You will always see you sister children but missing rush may hurt you.

and if she is having porblems now, the most likely will change the dates again.

Chris
Old 08-13-2003, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

add me to that club
Old 08-13-2003, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to adpishan
Sorry, but I need to be added to that club.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It all depends on what's most important to YOU. If attending this birth is more important to you and your family then that is where you should be. however, if you're going to kick yourself continually for not going through rush and you feel that your happiness will be effected by it, then you should consider staying. What will make you the most happy? what will effect you on a larger scale for a greater amount of time? will you have any unsettlable regrets regarding either choice? do what will make you feel the best about yourself. I have to reiterate that you really only get one chance at LSU, but I don't have an opinion either way as to what your choice should be. I will say that the day of your sister's C-section she will probably be way to cracked out on medication, exahaustion, and pain to be all that conscious of who is around her. It's your choice though, and I hope it all works out for the best.