GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 993
0 members and 993 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2017, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I work in higher ed admissions and YES to all of this. If your major is "more difficult", it may not be the major for you. And, while many students believe that they need to be in these "harder" majors to prepare for graduate school, that is simply not the case.

Cheers to academic advisors that actually advise students on an individual basis, instead of a "standard recommended curriculum" which should be acting as a guide, instead of as the law of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I'm sorry, but this whole "I'm in a more difficult major than you" thing annoys me. I was an engineering major to start, and I realized that calculus wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I graduated with a Poli Sci degree with a focus on law. I wrote so many papers as an undergrad, including a 60-page study on politics, the media, and the effect that each has on each other. Meanwhile, I knew Engineering and Math majors who couldn't spell or write to save their life. But their GPA should be weighted more heavily because they're in a "difficult" major? Please.

I know that part of this is a product of high school students not being advised adequately and ending up in majors they were never meant to be in, but to argue that certain people should get a pass because of their major is ridiculous.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:52 PM

Sidenote: Education majors are doing a bit more than reading Dr. Seuss y'all. Come on.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Sidenote: Education majors are doing a bit more than reading Dr. Seuss y'all. Come on.
You're right, they are doing more than reading Dr. Seuss.

True story: Late one night during my junior year, I was leaving the Architecture building* with my study buddy from a long night of studying for our biochem exam.

We ran into a friend of my study buddy who was looking tired too. We asked her what she was doing and she said that she was designing a bulletin board. I started laughing like crazy because I though she was kidding. She was not. She explained that she was an Elementary Ed major and that was one of her classes, bulletin board design.

So yeah, she spent a semester learning how to design a bulletin board and I spent mine working out Michaelis-Menten equations.

* The Architecture building was the best place for late night study because it was always open and if you got tired there were a few funky couches you could nap on if you were willing to overlook the odd stains......
Old 10-03-2017, 02:28 PM

Yeah, not sure what school you is but my university's Early Ed program is one of best in the state. No bulletin board classes or Dr. Seuss.

I have a graduate degree in special education. I WISH all I learned about were kids books and Dr. Seuss.

As mentioned before, the concept of "well my major is more difficult than yours" is not really a thing.

If Suzy's major is such that she barely has the 2.7 for recruitment, that major is probably not inherently more difficult than anyone else, it is probably just not the best fit for Suzy's skillset.

Ex: If you are in Computer Science and getting a 2.5, Comp Sci is not for you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All I can tell you is I was reading heavy duty literature in the 1000 pages range per book and they were literally sitting there with books aimed at 6 year olds and complaining that they had the same amount of reading to do as I did. I'm not saying the work isn't important. I AM saying that the reading they were complaining about wasn't on education theory. But then I would also add there was more than one girl in this set who were elementary ed majors and had never worked with children. So yeah, maybe not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier to begin with. They got to student teaching and had a major career re-think. Because who knew? Little kids are hard.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
All I can tell you is I was reading heavy duty literature in the 1000 pages range per book and they were literally sitting there with books aimed at 6 year olds and complaining that they had the same amount of reading to do as I did. I'm not saying the work isn't important. I AM saying that the reading they were complaining about wasn't on education theory. But then I would also add there was more than one girl in this set who were elementary ed majors and had never worked with children. So yeah, maybe not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier to begin with. They got to student teaching and had a major career re-think. Because who knew? Little kids are hard.
Haha. There is a reason why I student taught in grade K and then went on to go into exclusively middle and HS. (Special Ed licensure is K-12 in Ohio so when you do your field hours and student teaching, they try to get you to do a variety - one middle or HS and one elementary.) Little people are hard. Little people in special education settings are even more intense.

The whole "get to student teaching and have a change of heart" thing does not tend to happen at Kent as you are not in the major for the first 2 years. You have to apply to get into the major junior year and it requires experience with children for admission, an interview, an essay, and a 3.6 in your pre-major coursework. It also is one of the most popular majors at the University so the GPA requirement has gone up.

I can tell you that a lot of people start out pre-early ed and switch because they thought getting admitted to the major was going to be easy.

(I was admittedly not an ed major in undergrad, I was an English major so I am very familiar with having 50 to 100 pages to read for a class. I only know of the ECED major from what my colleagues tell me.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

True, all true.
But every time we insist you have to have more than decent grades, Suze E. Que from Hotflash, AL, whose daddy is the city mayor and owns all the town's convenience and gas stations and whose mama is a Big Donating Alumna from Eta Eta Tittle, the most exclusive sorority on Hotflash State University's campus, gets a bid.
And gives hope to all the other girls with 3.00001 GPAs.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 PM

^^^^As true as this may be, here's my advice.

Nick Saban's hypothetical freshman daughter could rush with a 3.1 and probably get a bid.

You're not Nick Saban's daughter.

Keep studying.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Remember his daughter who DID rush?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:39 PM

No. Did she get a bid? Was this when he was still at LSU?

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I bet you can Google Kristen Saban but she beat the crud out of a sorority sister.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Not LSU - at Alabama....she was a legacy and pledged that chapter....but no happy ending...
Old 10-03-2017, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

That's the thing-if you've got the connections to get into the most desired and selective sororities despite mediocre grades and involvement, you know it already. You're either the daughter of the football coach or the scion of the gas station owner and Eta Eta Tittle legacy and you've been going to their events since you were old enough to behave in public. You know for sure that you're set. It's the other 99% that have to get in based on merit, connections, and a little bit of luck.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, not sure what school you is but my university's Early Ed program is one of best in the state. No bulletin board classes or Dr. Seuss.
My undergrad was Texas A&M - College Station.

Quote:

I have a graduate degree in special education. I WISH all I learned about were kids books and Dr. Seuss.

As mentioned before, the concept of "well my major is more difficult than yours" is not really a thing.
YMMV - At A&M there were usually a lot of engineering majors during freshman year. Some of them did not achieve the minimum GPA to move on to their sophomore year in engineering, so they had to drop out. When they did, they usually went to engineering technology.

Quote:

If Suzy's major is such that she barely has the 2.7 for recruitment, that major is probably not inherently more difficult than anyone else, it is probably just not the best fit for Suzy's skillset.

Ex: If you are in Computer Science and getting a 2.5, Comp Sci is not for you.
Again, YMMV. One of the biggest challenges that you will find in the natural sciences and engineering (now called STEM) is that a lot of the professors are non-native English speakers. For example, one of my TAs for my Biochem lab was Chinese. At the time, I did not know that there is no letter 'L' in the Chinese language. So, every time she would lecture she would "drop" the 'Ls" from her words. So first I had to understand what she was saying, THEN, I could understand the material she was teaching. That can become a frustrating environment to try to learn, which may unfortunately affect your grade.

But, to the young lady's concern about her major. I would become very involved in your major's undergraduate student group. I remember my freshman year the president of the Undergraduate Biochemistry Society was a Tri-Delta, and another 'friend-of-a-friend' of mine in my Biochem major was the president of A Chi O our junior year.

I would talk to these women to see how they balance the major with sorority commitments.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Banned

honestly, it's not that i think i'm better than anyone or need a free pass or anything like that, I chose this major because I want my dream job. However, I do feel like I'm deserving of a chance you know. I think of it like getting into college. It looks better if you took all AP/honors classes and got a 3.8 GPA versus someone who got a 3.9 taking all standard classes, right? I don't think all other majors are easier. All majors get more difficult over time. But I do think some are not as challenging and it's worth noting. For example, engineering major vs photography major with the same GPA...

I do know quite a few girls I went to high school with that are in top tier sororities at big universities but graduated with a 3.0-3.2 GPA. They are exceptionally beautiful though so I do think that might have something to do with it...