GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,394
0 members and 2,394 guests
No Members online

Old 04-08-2002, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Our GLOs and our signatures-

During formal recruitment last fall, I recall several "advisories" that people should remove anything that shows their affiliation from their signatures when they post. Will this be a "rule of thumb" for the coming recruitment as well? Seems like the questions from PNMs start near gaduation...not too far away. I would LOVE to put my family orgs in my signature too, but I don't want to go through the process only to receive a request to undo it. If someone REALLY wanted to dig it up, the only real solution would be to change your ID, but then how would anyone on GC know who they were talking to? Any comments?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2002, 02:15 PM

JAM, I wouldn't worry about it. I would think that only people who are Rho Chis would need to worry about keeping their affiliation secret. Since I took my screen name because the Killarney Rose is Delta Zeta's flower, it would not be worth the trouble for me to try and disguise myself!
Old 04-08-2002, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, it would be hard for me too considering my affiliation is in my screenname. I am alum, and I understand the need to "be quiet", but I think the best rule of thumb in this case is just not to say anything leading...
Old 04-08-2002, 10:31 PM

I agree ... with my username, it would be kind of hard to disguise my affiliation and I don't think anyone else from my school posts here anyway. It's probably wise to disguise your affiliation if you want to talk about rush at a particular school (esp. if PNMs at that school read GC), or if you're a rho chi, but if you're an alum - I don't think it matters so much.

Last edited by aephi alum; 06-10-2002 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

So what should we do, put a disclaimer at the end of our signatures in fine print?

I can see it now:

"The views expressed or implied in this message are the opinions of the poster. They do not reflect the views and opinions of Sigma Nu International Fraternity or the GreekChat message forums."

That should keep us safe!!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-09-2002, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
I agree...it's pretty obvious from my screen name what sorority I'm a part of. Also, I think we always say that every chapter is different, so that should help too.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe the main concerns are:

1) with Rho Chis who are on GC and need to remain anonymous in order to do their jobs responsibly, and

2) with active collegians who are on GC and attend schools that require no collegians to interact with Rushees before or during Rush except at the Rush parties themselves.

Alumnae are not a concern at this point, so I don't think any of the alums on GC need to change their screennames for Rush. Also, I don't think the actives need to either -- I feel that they should simply not PM any potential rushees over the summer or during Rush, so as to prevent any "dirty rushing" from occuring on GC.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

sig

I think instead of taking out our affiliation we should take out any reference to our school. Just in case someone's rushing at our school. After all, it's not that harmful knowing just the GLO of someone on this board because each GLO has tons of members nationwide -- it's still pretty anonymous.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks all...so much. I have to say I feel pretty much the same way. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: sig

Quote:
Originally posted by stargirl725
I think instead of taking out our affiliation we should take out any reference to our school. Just in case someone's rushing at our school. After all, it's not that harmful knowing just the GLO of someone on this board because each GLO has tons of members nationwide -- it's still pretty anonymous.
Sounds like a great idea.. but what about people like me? And I won't be alum next year either, i'll be an active member...But I also have a feeling that during Formal this fall, most of the actives won't have a whole lot of time to be on GC either...
Old 04-09-2002, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a great question.

I know that if you are currently in school during recruitment, then you should refrain from having deep discussions with your school's PNMs if they are on and asking questions, but alum are another story.

I really do think we should all be wacthing what we say, not just during recruitment. You never know who is a PNM or not and I know I wouldn't want to have any part in changing someone's mind or putting rumors in their head....same reasoning I think that posts regarding school's organizations should be tasteful and not just shooting from the hip.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Take the "rush savy" (to coin a phrase) PNM. She enters recruitment with 3 opinions embeddd in her brain prior to her first party. I do not mean to exclude any National Org-just going by my personal knowledge and experience.

1. Her local town's people's opinion. This is the exposure she gets to Greeks by word of mouth, For example-"My Mom was an ABC or these women were all XYZ" If they are community minded people, an association begins.

2. The NPC or IFC contacts. Lots of intermingling between seniors and college freshmen during spring break and the summer. Opinions of Greek Orgs BY Greeks are suppossed to be limited, but that's just not the way it really is.

3. Campus opinion-Those wonderful GDIs who have been exposed to Greeks through campus activities and/or forged friendships. This may be the least exposure for the PNM (possibly the most objective?) but it does exist.

All three opinions may vary drastically. All three opinions are equally valid...it just depends on what the PNM wants out of Greek life. Threads like "Top Three Soros or Fraternities" are, for the most part, opinions by a minute number of Greeks and present a somewhat skewed picture. Upon reflection, a seemingly large percentage of posts seem to mention the poster's individual sorority or fraternity in the top 3. What are the ODDS? I do not want to imply that it isn't so, just pose the question-"By whose standards?" This is perhaps more damaging to other GLOs (and more misleading) than anything a single message could do. It's interesting to read, and many Greeks gobble up this information. Having watched from the sidelines, I have learned if you randomly ask any one from the three examples given, you will more than likely get three different (QUITE different) opinions. The sad thing is...This may be the only source of information to SOME PNMs and they may take it as "gospel".

Last edited by justamom; 04-10-2002 at 07:43 AM.