GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,336
3 members and 2,333 guests
Cookiez17, Kevin

Old 03-17-2010, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Question for the Badge Trends addicts/followers/lurkers/etc: Do you want to see current ebay auctions listed?
My preference would be to not have active auction listings in this thread. This thread was such a fabulous idea, and it has really grown to be one of my favorites. I can tell that several posters have really enjoyed getting to know each other more through their shared interest in blinged-out and historical badges, and that is great! That is what a "chat" site is for!

However, this thread is so insanely long now that it is too long to really go back and ever find a specific photo again. My preference would be to keep the thread to photos and to chatting about that. If people want to post auction listings (don't have a strong opinion one way or another on that) I would prefer that they do that under each org's forum. I think most orgs already have threads for such listings.

Agreed that if a unique badge does come up for auction, save the photo and then post it after the auction is closed. Also like the idea of notifying someone via PM.

Just two cents from a lurker...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a lurker on this thread too. I have a deep appreciation for the beauty of other organizations' badges.

I love the idea of PMing a member of that org if a unique badge is on Ebay, because I have also seen several badges skyrocket in price as soon as they're posted here.

But please keep this thread going! I LOVE hearing the stories and seeing the picture.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I generally don't mind them being posted, provided they are well marked and obvious on ebay. The ones that are poorly listed shouldn't be posted, imho. If you want to let someone know, PM a member of that org and let nature run its course. If its poorly listed, posting it publicly will ruin the chance someone might have to rescue a badge without inflating the price.

That being said, I also am of the opinion that this thread could get really cluttered, and it's more fun to just look at the pics after the auction is over. Especially if I'm checking in from my iphone, I'd rather the thread be full of pics than full of links.

In sum - I don't mind most of the links, but if I were choosing, I would choose to have them not posted.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Question for the Badge Trends addicts/followers/lurkers/etc: Do you want to see current ebay auctions listed?

My general preference is no, because it drives up the price, potentially alerts collectors, and can cause some confusion when rescue groups are involved. If something is really cool or hidden, I'll usually PM someone in that org about it- and have received PMs in return as well. I've posted a few photos of items post-auction, and keep meaning to get to some more.

I know this topic has been discussed on several threads, with varying outcomes. I know several people bristle when they see them, others don't care. Since there have been several listings posted in the past few days, figured it was worth throwing that out to our group of Badge/Pin Addicts.
I'd rather not see them here. Within my org, I've been instructed to email/alert HQ about badges. I don't think they encourage us to make a big deal about them (i.e. post them online--although I have done it in the past before I knew better) because, like you said, it drives the price up and makes it hard for HQ to do what they do in terms of potentially rescuing the item.

I wouldn't mind getting a PM so that I can let HQ know though, since I am not on eBay a whole lot.

We are also advised not to contact sellers regarding badges either (because they tend to get hostile and are less willing to work with us to get it back in member hands).

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
My preference would be to not have active auction listings in this thread. This thread was such a fabulous idea, and it has really grown to be one of my favorites. I can tell that several posters have really enjoyed getting to know each other more through their shared interest in blinged-out and historical badges, and that is great! That is what a "chat" site is for!

However, this thread is so insanely long now that it is too long to really go back and ever find a specific photo again. My preference would be to keep the thread to photos and to chatting about that. If people want to post auction listings (don't have a strong opinion one way or another on that) I would prefer that they do that under each org's forum. I think most orgs already have threads for such listings.

Agreed that if a unique badge does come up for auction, save the photo and then post it after the auction is closed. Also like the idea of notifying someone via PM.

Just two cents from a lurker...
Ditto. *head nodding in agreement*

I love the photos. Have been known to send & receive PMs, generally stay away from posting at large, for reasons stated by thetygerlily and ksuviolet and others as well.

OK, now please, somebody who knows Carnation, I beseech you to ask her to post a photo... an opal PiPhi badge? *swoon* Could it really be true? I can't hardly stand it.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
OK, now please, somebody who knows Carnation, I beseech you to ask her to post a photo... an opal PiPhi badge? *swoon* Could it really be true? I can't hardly stand it.
Agreed, plus a billion.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAlphaPhi View Post
I just came across a beautiful Phi Mu badge with rubies and pearls that has been made into a ring (item# 280480343979). Bad news: the seller reveals that it's her own badge from 1989 .

I hope it gets rescued and better treated!
I once was sad to discover that the pins I bought from ebay were sold by the sister herself - until I heard that she was trying to get the money for her wedding. After a lot of thought, I sent them back to her as a wedding present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
^^

And another one (except it's Kappa) that says it's being sold by the original owner...although the spelling of "sorority" makes me wonder if if the seller is lying...
Between the spelling and the blurred picture, my mind is running wild with the thought as to why she's selling it! Large liquor bill, maybe?

And I'm one of the ones who appreciate the PM over the post. The picture can always be posted after the auction is over.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the above, though, I don't really mind a picture being posted without a link even if the auction is running.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I once was sad to discover that the pins I bought from ebay were sold by the sister herself - until I heard that she was trying to get the money for her wedding. After a lot of thought, I sent them back to her as a wedding present.
You are awesome. I'm serious. I almost got teary reading that.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

[QUOTE=[B]honeychile[/B];1908406]I once was sad to discover that the pins I bought from ebay were sold by the sister herself - until I heard that she was trying to get the money for her wedding. After a lot of thought, I sent them back to her as a wedding present.

You are so amazing! I bet that bride cried when she opened your gift...that was such a demonstration of sororal love and kindness on your part.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are so amazing! I bet that bride cried when she opened your gift...that was such a demonstration of sororal love and kindness on your part.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
You are awesome. I'm serious. I almost got teary reading that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAlphaPhi View Post
*blush*
I honestly didn't post that to toot my own horn - I just wanted to point out that sometimes there's a reason someone sells her pin. I would have felt guilty keeping them, under the circumstances. She did email me to say that she put her pin on the ribbons of her bouquet! That made me feel wonderful!

Besides, as our open motto states, "We Live For Each Other"!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
*blush*
I honestly didn't post that to toot my own horn - I just wanted to point out that sometimes there's a reason someone sells her pin. I would have felt guilty keeping them, under the circumstances. She did email me to say that she put her pin on the ribbons of her bouquet! That made me feel wonderful!

Besides, as our open motto states, "We Live For Each Other"!
You are seriously one in a million, Honey. And that's awesome that she emailed you later about the bouquet!

On a less sweet/sappy/heartwearming note, sounds like the general consensus is to try to avoid posting active listings, focus on the pictures, and PM folks if something cool/hidden comes up. I don't mind some amount of chatter (as Blondie93 mentioned some of us have grown closer through this thread and rely on it for daily sanity!) but would LOVE to see more pictures. I'll try to get a few more up today or tomorrow, I have some closed auctions I've saved and haven't gotten around to. But I will! I'm also going to try to take a couple of clasp photos & a key/dime photo for size. I'm sure I have some Canadian money laying around somewhere, Jen, so if I can dig it up I'll throw that in there too!

And I ditto the carnation push- would love to see hers if anyone has contact with her! As well as anyone else who hasn't posted pictures of some of their fantastic collections.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
...as well as anyone else who hasn't posted pictures of some of their fantastic collections.
Has kaokite posted in this thread? She collects Theta badges and has quite the historical collection. In addition, from what I hear, she is also very, very knowledgable on recognizing historical significance/dating of badges. However, she only comes around GC occasionally.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
As well as anyone else who hasn't posted pictures of some of their fantastic collections.
I'm guilty of that! I've been in the process of preparing my mother's house for sale (*sniffle*), and have my stuff both there and at my own house. I'll try to make sure I find my camera AND the pins (at the same time!), hopefully this weekend.