GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,167
3 members and 2,164 guests
JayhawkAOII, Xidelt

Old 01-31-2001, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Formal Recruitment

Okay, I know this is a hard thing to admit, but my chapter is having a problem with recruitment. There are eight sororities on my campus and all but two of us made quota in the fall. I know why our chapter didn't and I am changing things (I'm rush chairman). I need help, though. I want a really good preference ceremony. I haven't been able to find anything with meaning that doesn't do something like the other chapters on my campus. I want something unique and heartfelt. Any ideas would be appreciated. My chapter has been doing informal rush and we have gained 12 new women which is wonderful! I like informal recruitment because you get to know people better before extending them a bid and you also know that they chose you over everyone else (even the chapters making quota aren't at total). Anyways, please post a few things you liked best about preferences. Maybe it was someone elses, or maybe it was yours. I just really want some wonderful ideas. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-31-2001, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo:
I want a really good preference ceremony. I haven't been able to find anything with meaning that doesn't do something like the other chapters on my campus. I want something unique and heartfelt. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I don't know how it is for other groups, but our preference ceremony is a ritual type ceremony that is included in our ritual book. The ceremony mirrors our other ceremonies and initiation in content related to our bond, and while there are a couple of variations, the meaning is the same.

So I can't give you our pref ceremony, but I can suggest that you find a couple of people (seniors preferably that have had a good experience with the chapter and can really convey the emotions that reflect what the bond means to them) and have them speak. Sometimes during our informal ceremonies, the speaker will choose a special song to them and play it softly while they are talking (I cried for the entire hour when one girl played "Time of Your Life") -- a song that I've always thought that was special to me and my chapter is "The Rainbow Connection" because it talks about this "thing" that is intangible that so many people believe in, and how he/she goes through not believing to understanding the feeling and finally becoming a believer. You'll just have to listen to the words (and preferably not with Kermit singing, but hey - he was a loner once too!) and see how it fits for you.

Anyway, have a couple people speak (I'd say about 3-5 min. max -- and don't name every sister in the speech -- its about the bond as a whole that you all feel) -- I wouldn't have more than 3 either since it would be overkill to have the whole chapter speak. There are a ton of beautiful poems out there too -- check out the one about "What is a Sorority" -- too good. Do you guys have a symphony? I know some sororities do - ours is always read.

Hope that helps for now -- just make sure your sisters understand that it is nothing without the sincerity.

Old 01-31-2001, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I can sgree wi the cant spell sympathise> Whe I started my local we went thru formal rush and when everyone came of the steps WE GOT NONE!!! We went out and recruited guys that no one wanted. THIS was one of the most disheartening moments of my life. Well 35 years later , we are still having problems recruiting. It is nothing more than selling yourselves. I would never be more than what I am or will ever be. I did not even know that much about the Fraternity that we joined as a International until then. Thank God I learned!! And 35 yrs. later I still have a love for my Brothers, cry with them, and feel for them all over the world. You still have the fellowship upon graduation and the really hard part is get people to become members of you circle. Good Luck!!!!!!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 01-31-2001, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Could you call your HQ? I know we could get in contact with many of our chapters to see what works for them. You could call a chapter who is on a similar type campus and see what works there!
Good Luck with Recruitment!