GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,569
Threads: 114,858
Posts: 2,159,932
Welcome to our newest member, WilheminaD
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
ElvisLover ElvisLover is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DixieLand
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Pointless. It doesn't matter who you are, you're not getting a bid without preparing. That means securing recs beforehand. You do not "wing" rush at an SEC school.

THIS!!
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
- this is a BBS and casual language is the general rule here. Look-up a definition of “uniqueness” in the online Webster dictionary and you will find it. New words are constantly used and coined in casual conversation and in informal written prose. I suggest you look-up etiquette for posting on BBS because the general rule of thumb is not to correct casual language use. Last time I checked this forum is not for the submission of a formal paper.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unique

unique

adjective \yu̇-ˈnēk\




Definition of UNIQUE

1
: being the only one : sole <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? — Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>

2
a: being without a like or equal : unequaled <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique— Robert Coover>
b: distinctively characteristic : peculiar 1 <this is not a condition unique to California — Ronald Reagan>

3
: unusual <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch — J. D. Salinger>
unique·lyadverb
unique·nessnoun

I am using this word in the sense that she has an unusual personality that is associated with highly gifted individuals.

Here is an excerpt from a gifted website that I think accurately describes her personality and personality traits common to exceptionally gifted: “ ..show incredible intensity in energy, imagination, intellectual prowess, sensitivity, and emotion which are not typical in the general population”.
I think the real issue is that some people can't accept that some people are genuinely gifted and that they really are different. My daughter dances 25-35 hours/ week, puts in minimal time studying and is first in her class out of 700 students. She does all this while being advanced by 2-3 years in math and science courses and will have taken 13 AP courses when she graduates.
However, it is the intensity of her personality that makes her unique- or if you prefer- "unusual" compared to other teens her age.
Did you see that? It's the point going straight over your head.

This is the funniest damn thing I've read in a long time. Thanks.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
You do not "wing" rush at an SEC school
Now THAT would be a fabulous signature line!
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 PM
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N 37.811092 W -107.664643
Posts: 5,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Why not? I don't think they should be a DEFINING factor, but it's part of "campus life," and there is more to going to college than just being in classes.

I'll use myself as an example--I knew I wanted to go to a school where my joining an NPC sorority was an option. I had a list of schools I was interested in, not just because of their academics, but because they provided the campus life that I wanted...and part of that was a diverse Greek system. I got into my first-choice school, joined an NPC, and had a great time and a great education that opens doors to me to this very day.

Some people want to go to college in a small town, others in a big city. Some people want a big football school while others would be in hog heaven if there was an Ultimate Frisbee league. Why should Greek life be any different?
Munchkin - I see your point and it's well taken. Upon reflection, I'd go back and add some sort of qualifying adjective before "factor", but I've been quoted so it won't do any good. I was considering the posts the OP had written to that point and my interpretation (which may well be partially or completely erroneous) was that a sorority was of paramount importance in "dd's" college choice. But subsequent posts did not support that interpretation because IMO the OP was either on the fence or on both sides of it. Whatever!

For the future, I'll take a second look at what I write when I make an absolute statement. Thanks!!!
__________________
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 AM
IrishLake IrishLake is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: What's round on the ends and high in the middle?
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
That is pretty much what I thought from the little that I have seen on this site today. I am not sure she is really interested enough to do all that work that is required for the SEC school sororities. Networking would be especially challenging because of the distance we are from these schools. So it looks like perhaps she can seek out other activities such as those offered through the honors programs/ dorms, dance team, and or performance related activities associated with a dance minor. Although I think she might just do a little research and then try to wing it at rush time. If she is not willing to put alot into it I think it is safe to say she probably would not be overly disappointed if she didn't get in. However it is good to have this info and it will, I am sure, help narrow down the college choices.
As it's been stated already.... you canNOT "wing it" at an SEC recruitment. She will be dropped after first round, it does not matter how unique and wonderful she is. There are girls who already have recs for every chapter for recruitment this fall! Some of these ladies have everything your daughter has AND they've been preparing for rush the last three years!

You must secure recs from sorority members before recruitment. This does NOT mean you must get a rec from an alumnae from that specific chapter. So if you know an alumnae from ABC sorority who went to Midwest State U, she can indeed write your daughter a rec for the ABC Chapter at University of SEC. Recs are a MUST to even be seriously considered at any chapter at all SEC schools.
__________________
"I think my sorority sisters would be more concerned with the fact that I have a dick
" k_s
KAQ - 1870
With twin stars and kites above.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 AM
MaryPoppins MaryPoppins is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 1,774
SEC schools are where Miss America contestants are red shirted. Even the reigning Miss America, via New York, is really from Alabama. At Ole Miss, Tea Party is liberal. I'm now a Yellow Dog Independent,keep that strictly to myself, but I rushed in the SEC over thirty years ago.
__________________
Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, Kappa Alpha Theta exists to nurture each member throughout her college and alumna experience and to
offer a lifelong opportunity for social, intellectual, and moral growth as she meets the higher and broader demands of a mature life.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Lovethesand Lovethesand is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 149
I apologize if I come across rude but is the mother of this unique daughter for real? I'm reading this and aging myself when I think "gag me with a spoon".

Now back to you ladies who are kinder and nicer than me.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N 37.811092 W -107.664643
Posts: 5,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethesand View Post
I apologize if I come across rude but is the mother of this unique daughter for real? I'm reading this and aging myself when I think "gag me with a spoon".

Now back to you ladies who are kinder and nicer than me.
On the premise that the OP is "real" (although the user name, prounounced aloud, suggests otherwise): JLCo has posted enough specifics about her DD (and that acronym makes ME gag) that anyone could pick her out in a flash in any recruitment at any school anywhere. That might not be a good thing.
__________________
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
SigKapSweetie SigKapSweetie is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: slightly east of insane
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
As it's been stated already.... you canNOT "wing it" at an SEC recruitment. She will be dropped after first round, it does not matter how unique and wonderful she is. There are girls who already have recs for every chapter for recruitment this fall! Some of these ladies have everything your daughter has AND they've been preparing for rush the last three years!
I know that this is an unpopular statement, since we (rightfully) stress the importance of preparation for recruitment, but it's not 100% impossible to succeed in SEC recruitment without preparation. I went through at an SEC school, had only one rec which was to a chapter that dropped me round 1, and still had full party schedules and got my first choice sorority. It's not the smart way to do recruitment - why handicap yourself from the beginning for any reason other than ignorance of the system? - but I don't want SEC PNMs to decide "it's not even worth it to try since I decided to rush last minute." You are not guaranteed to fail without advance preparation, but it will be a good deal harder to succeed.
__________________
Voices Strong. Hearts United.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
IrishLake IrishLake is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: What's round on the ends and high in the middle?
Posts: 3,033
Thank you SKS. I was in a mood last night. I know what you say is true, but it certainly is not the norm. Seems like if we mention to a poster like JLCo that bids can be earned without recs at SEC schools, they automatically assume that their snowflake is special enough to get by without them. Because if YOU were special enough to get a bid without a rec when you went through rush, then their "DD" certainly is too. Know what I mean?
__________________
"I think my sorority sisters would be more concerned with the fact that I have a dick
" k_s
KAQ - 1870
With twin stars and kites above.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,307
In addition to securing recs. for all chapters at SEC university, the earlier in the summer they are sent in, the better.

I am convinced that one of the reasons a fabulous young lady I helped find recs. for did not achieve the results she had hoped at an uber-competitive recruitment, was because she decided to rush a couple of weeks prior to recruitment, and where she attended college, that was way, way late to be sending in recommendations.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,307
Thank you SKS. I was in a mood last night. I know what you say is true, but it certainly is not the norm. Seems like if we mention to a poster like JLCo that bids can be earned without recs at SEC schools, they automatically assume that their snowflake is special enough to get by without them. Because if YOU were special enough to get a bid without a rec when you went through rush, then their "DD" certainly is too. Know what I mean? IrishLake
__________________

Spot on IrishLake! I always worry when someone posts that "I had a great recruitment and only had one rec." because as IrishLake said, some folks seize on that and don't bother to get recs. at all and are then devastated when they don't get the bid they had wanted. That can happen, and I don't doubt that In SKS case, that is exactly what happened, but i would venture to say that at some schools no rec.= top choice is the exception and not the rule.

One girl who pledged ZTA at a school where that chapter is a perennial favorite with PNMs claimed that she got her #1 choice without a rec. Knowing our national policy, and knowing that chapter, I knew she was mistaken, and that someone had probably sent in a rec., unbeknownst to her.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-26-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: somehow quoted myself instead of IrishLake!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM
SigKapSweetie SigKapSweetie is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: slightly east of insane
Posts: 1,231
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Thank you SKS. I was in a mood last night. I know what you say is true, but it certainly is not the norm. Seems like if we mention to a poster like JLCo that bids can be earned without recs at SEC schools, they automatically assume that their snowflake is special enough to get by without them. Because if YOU were special enough to get a bid without a rec when you went through rush, then their "DD" certainly is too. Know what I mean?
I agree 100%. I absolutely DO NOT recommend going through SEC rush with no (or one) recs if you have any say in the matter. I was completely in the dark about the process when I did it - seriously, think Bill Murray in 'The Man Who Knew Too Little'. JLCo and her daughter now know what they should do in order to maximize the odds of a successful recruitment, and why would you not do everything you could to make the process better for yourself? People apply last-minute to medical school, too, but having been on my medical school's admission committee, I can tell you that those who spend their entire college career preparing tend to do better in the process.

I just don't want last-minute PNMs to read this thread in late July and decide not to go through recruitment at all. You can still rush, but realize that your options may be limited and you will not have all of the same opportunities that a young lady who is well-prepared will have. Looking back now, I'm amazed at how smoothly my recruitment went. I think a large part of it was that I wasn't worried about who invited me back because I had NO preconceived notions about any of the chapters, and that is a very rare state of mind for the current set of PNMs, even those who do not have any Greeks in their families. It's also possible that my mother's friend, having written me the one rec I knew about, could have called her friends from other chapters and had them write recs I knew nothing about. (It happens.)
__________________
Voices Strong. Hearts United.

Last edited by SigKapSweetie; 01-26-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Okay, I have no idea where the winking smiley came from...
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-26-2013, 03:09 PM
HQWest HQWest is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,018
Or hey you know what? Go ahead and dont get any recs because you did not have any friends or any family or even anyone you have ever met that is in an NPC group to write one for you.
Then no one has to feel bad if your rush does not go well but you?
And the chapter wont have to be up later trying to decide on who to invite back
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 PM
greekdee greekdee is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 465
I know quite a few people who had smooth SEC recruitments without recs -- but they all went through recruitment before RFM was introduced! I believe that was 2003 and seems to be what was the real game-changer. I know one SEC sorority alum who just last year was suggesting that PMNs not rush until their sophomore or junior year...she did at UGA and it was great. Well, her recruitment was in 1988! Not everyone has kept up with changing times.

I know it does still happen in the SEC, but it is the major exception and not the rule. I don't know a single PNM (since RFM) who has had a smooth go in the SEC without recs, including those with a lot of friends in certain chapters. It's a huge recruitment-risk. Too huge to even consider.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greek Week Champs and Greek Goddess, Part II BBelleADPi Alpha Xi Delta 6 05-09-2008 02:33 PM
Positive Greek Story - MTSU Greek Fundraising DZHBrown Greek Life 4 11-15-2003 12:11 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.