GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

UT Austin Out of State?

Hey Guys,
So I'll be starting my career at UT Austin in the Summer. What is the general feelings toward out of staters in greek life? Also what are the majority of fraternities like? I plan on rushing no matter what, but I'm not really interested in rankings, I just want to find a group guys that I can see myself enjoying my college years with.

Last edited by HookEmHunter; 06-24-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

My knowledge of recruitment at UT is limited, though fairly well informed. Being out of state is not an off the bat hindrance, but you should definitely register with the IFC so you can receive more information about recruitment here: http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/glie/IFCrecruitment/

From your post it doesn't seem like you're the type to rely on legacy status, but it's important to understand that the sheer amount of men going through rush means you are certainly not guaranteed you a bid from your brother's fraternity if it is at UT - especially (from what my sources have told me) since he is not a member from UT.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info. I didn't really plan on the legacy thing anyway. I don't even think my brother's fraternity has a chapter at UT. They have something like 50 or so different fraternities at his school, and I didn't see his listed anywhere on the UT website. I was more or less just curious about whether the out of state thing hurts my chances.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHunter View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't really plan on the legacy thing anyway. I don't even think my brother's fraternity has a chapter at UT. They have something like 50 or so different fraternities at his school, and I didn't see his listed anywhere on the UT website. I was more or less just curious about whether the out of state thing hurts my chances.
It's not that chapters think "hey, this guy is from another state, we don't want him", it's that most of the in-state entering freshmen will know men in the chapters and you won't. If you do know anyone at UT who is in a fraternity, you can reach out to them in a non-creepy way, i.e. ONE e-mail or Facebook message where you let them know you are coming to UT this fall.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM
GreekChat Member

i go to ut. pm me.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Go to summer orientation and go to parties/late nights while you are there. Rushing takes place mostly in the summer - bids go out before school starts (usually the weekend before school thereabouts). There is no formal rush period. Being out of state is not a bad thing, but as someone said before, bids normally go to guys that are already known to members, but there are definitely out of state guys in all the houses.

Good luck! You made a good choice - both my sons have had the time of their lives!