GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,191
2 members and 1,189 guests
indygphib

Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
According to the Sosority Extension twitter account, Colorado State, Univ of Colorado, Pace, Temple and Texas A&M-Kingville have opened for expansion.
In addition, the following schools have opened:

University of Cincinnati (OH)
SUNY- Old Westbury
University of Pittsburgh- Johnstown(PA)- officially

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

If a school became open for expansion and was looking to add a new chapter at a "normal" pace, what would you say would be the average amount of time between opening and naming the selected sorority?

@~/~~~~
Old 02-17-2018, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKells View Post
CU definitely has a bunch of groups that could come back.

Of all these schools that have at least been rumored to be open for expansion, when will some more decisions start flowing? It's been very slow for the number "open".

I made a spreadsheet to track them. (It's biased towards KD, but gets the point across)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Great chart KDKells!

I do know at Cal State Dominguez Hills, that Phi Sigma Sigma is scheduled to return the same year they are to return at Chapman University, which is 2020.
CSUDH has an enrollment of 12,500+ undergrads, with a high female student populations, so this school could support more than 1 NPC group.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:30 PM

I’d like to see Alpha Phi back at Colorado State. That was out Zeta Mu chapter. Cincinnati would be a great school to be at too!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

This past weekend, Kappa Sigma reinstalled its Delta-Gamma Chapter at the University of Wyoming, with 61 refounding fathers.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 AM

Congratulations to Alpha Sigma Phi. This past weekend they chartered at Northern Illinois University and colonized at Missouri State University.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.studlife.com/news/greek-l...ry-suspension/

Phi Delta Theta at Wash U St. Louis has been permanently suspended (for reasons other than the firearms in the house, although that's the headline).
Old 02-22-2018, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
If a school became open for expansion and was looking to add a new chapter at a "normal" pace, what would you say would be the average amount of time between opening and naming the selected sorority?
Over the years the time it takes from opening to announcing seems to really depend on individual campus greek attitudes and situations. Is there a particular campus where you have recently noticed a lengthy lag-time?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Over the years the time it takes from opening to announcing seems to really depend on individual campus greek attitudes and situations. Is there a particular campus where you have recently noticed a lengthy lag-time?

KDKells' post prompted me to ask.

Quote:

Of all these schools that have at least been rumored to be open for expansion, when will some more decisions start flowing? It's been very slow for the number "open".

I made a spreadsheet to track them. (It's biased towards KD, but gets the point across)

@~/~~~~
Old 02-23-2018, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
If confirmed, it would be interesting to see if one NPC group would get both University of Colorado and Colorado State. It may be an efficient use of resources? It would be nice for DZ or SDT if they were interested, since they were at both campuses in the past.
Quote:

G&Q: Would it be financially feasible for one group to colonize at both UColo and Colo State (if chosen)? An expensive greek campus such as Colorado's may insist any colony utilize housing to appease a student body used to traditional sorority amenities.

KDKells: Thank you for your listing. I can think of a few reasons for the lack of recent decisions regarding sorority colonies:

1) Lack of NPC interest in any particular campus.

2) 'Chosen' NPC groups backing-out of presentations (GVSU recently had that problem) or backing-out after being selected to colonize (before the colony announcement is made).

3) The university decides, after presentations, their campus sorority situation has changed (lack of available independent housing and/or unwillingness of campus to provide university housing; recent widespread fraternal hazing problems scaring administrators away from new colonies; etc).

4) The university is unimpressed with the packets they receive, or with on-campus sorority presentation(s).

5) The university experiences a drop in enrollment and corresponding drop in the number of formal pnms. As others have mentioned on GC, this could also be a reason for the decline in the number of 'Open For Expansions" this year compared with the past eight years.

It is also known from IrishPipes terrific GC listing of campuses and chapters that some stacked groups have had to push their colonies back a year or three due to multiple campus-specific situations. A few colonies have been cancelled outright, again for sorority and/or campus-specific reasons.

Last edited by Cheerio; 02-23-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure. I guess it would depend on the group if they felt they had enough resources to handle both, but as expansion has slown down, I think it's a possibility.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

AGD re-colonized at USC and UCLA nearly simultaniously about 4 years ago. Maybe an AGD with some knowledge of this could comment. (They would have to round up enough new alumnae advisors for two large chapters in the same geographic area, that seems like a big task.)

Personally, I am more for equity and fairness, so giving one group two new chapters at sought after schools so close in proximity just doesn't seem fair. I usually lean toward the group that has the most history at a school, but since the final vote is usualy just up to the collegians, I doubt they use that criteria!
Old 02-25-2018, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
AGD re-colonized at USC and UCLA nearly simultaniously about 4 years ago. Maybe an AGD with some knowledge of this could comment. (They would have to round up enough new alumnae advisors for two large chapters in the same geographic area, that seems like a big task.)

Personally, I am more for equity and fairness, so giving one group two new chapters at sought after schools so close in proximity just doesn't seem fair. I usually lean toward the group that has the most history at a school, but since the final vote is usualy just up to the collegians, I doubt they use that criteria!
AGD recolonized at USC and San Diego State University the same year. UCLA recolonized the following year. I was at the UCLA presentations and know that our Panhellenic voted on what chapters were best for UCLA and not what was happening at any other university. (Alpha Xi Delta was voted to recolonize 2nd and that is scheduled for Fall 2018.) AGD also still owned their house at UCLA — not sure about the other 2 schools — but in these high real estate areas, I’d guess that would be an advantage.

I even asked an AGD alumna if her national organization thought this would be a challenge, but they saw it as a way for three new chapters to share the AGD experience together, bond closer and help with retention rates.

Last edited by ChioLu; 02-25-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Theta Alpha Xi chapter is coming back at Iona college! Currently a colony, pledging TBA.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeqtBnqD...aken-by=lta_xi
Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
AGD recolonized at USC and San Diego State University the same year. UCLA recolonized the following year. I was at the UCLA presentations and know that our Panhellenic voted on what chapters were best for UCLA and not what was happening at any other university. (Alpha Xi Delta was voted to recolonize 2nd and that is scheduled for Fall 2018.) AGD also still owned their house at UCLA — not sure about the other 2 schools — but in these high real estate areas, I’d guess that would be an advantage.

I even asked an AGD alumna if her national organization thought this would be a challenge, but they saw it as a way for three new chapters to share the AGD experience together, bond closer and help with retention rates.
UCLA was installed in May 2014, SDSU was installed in Feb 2014 and USC was installed in late January 2014. It was a challenge and a stretch to resources but at the same time, they were relatively close to each other so resources could be somewhat shared. It was a very exciting year! I'm pretty sure we owned at least 2 of the houses already. We did already have a lot of chapters in California so there's a large alumnae base there to begin with. Since those three, we also installed our chapter at Cal Poly- San Luis Obispo.

That year made us re-think how we manage new chapters and was the beginning of a really strong stretch for us!