GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,504
0 members and 2,504 guests
No Members online

Old 12-21-2014, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
"Happy Hanukkah or Chanukkah which ever you like."

DaffyKD
Mazel Tov!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Hanukkah is definitely not one of the "big" holidays in Judaism. It's become a big deal in the US mainly because Jewish kids have asked their parents why their Christian friends are getting presents from Santa and from their parents and relatives while they themselves get squat. In Israel, it's a minor holiday - you light candles and say the prayers and that's that.

I actually did convert from Roman Catholicism to Judaism. To make a very long story short, I was a cradle Catholic, but the Jewish faith always resonated with me, to the point where I finally approached a rabbi and said, "I want to convert. Can I study with you?" It took over a year before I was officially Jewish, but I came out of that mikveh (the ritual bath you take when you convert) feeling like I'd been reborn.

I hasten to add that, although I was an AEPhi when I converted, and I was engaged to a Jewish man when I converted, I would have converted anyway. Becoming Jewish was something that had been in the back of my mind long before I even ever got to college.

I'll shut up now...
I took off for first day of Hannukah to get some stuff straight with buying a new car and my team lead (who is a Jain) thought I was taking it off to go to synagogue. I had to explain to him how *little* Hannukah is in the grand scheme of things...

Mazel Tov on the conversion
Old 12-21-2014, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Mazel Tov on the conversation, indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I actually did convert from Roman Catholicism to Judaism. To make a very long story short, I was a cradle Catholic, but the Jewish faith always resonated with me, to the point where I finally approached a rabbi and said, "I want to convert. Can I study with you?" It took over a year before I was officially Jewish, but I came out of that mikveh (the ritual bath you take when you convert) feeling like I'd been reborn.

I hasten to add that, although I was an AEPhi when I converted, and I was engaged to a Jewish man when I converted, I would have converted anyway. Becoming Jewish was something that had been in the back of my mind long before I even ever got to college.

I'll shut up now...
This is so interesting to me. It's so easy to think you're "the only one" who is thinking of - or actually doing something - like converting religions, so it's nice to hear that others have done it too.

I'm a cradle Catholic too, but Judaism speaks to me at my core. I guess the best way to describe it is that it moves my soul. This must be what some consider a "calling". Anyway, I haven't ruled out converting yet; if I met a Jewish man I wanted to marry it wouldn't be an issue for me at all.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience, aephi alum!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
Yes, Mazel Tov on the conversation, indeed!

This is so interesting to me. It's so easy to think you're "the only one" who is thinking of - or actually doing something - like converting religions, so it's nice to hear that others have done it too.

I'm a cradle Catholic too, but Judaism speaks to me at my core. I guess the best way to describe it is that it moves my soul. This must be what some consider a "calling". Anyway, I haven't ruled out converting yet; if I met a Jewish man I wanted to marry it wouldn't be an issue for me at all.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience, aephi alum!
My cousin's wife converted before their wedding, but she too had felt a strong connection to Judaism before meeting him, and to some degree sought out Jewish friends.