GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,716
0 members and 1,716 guests
No Members online

Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

MIP Discrimination

Hello.

I belong to a local graduate Greek chapter that appears to be consistently discriminating against it's own elderly and disabled members. The chapter has come up with ways to screen out the oldest and most distinguished members, so they cannot sponsor a candidate for membership. For example, they are mandating that these old women (some in wheelchairs and walkers) attend national meetings, when they know that it's just not possible for most of them. The women are cancer survivors, some have bodies riddled with various diseases, and etc. They have been members for 70 years or longer, and never missed a membership fee! This practice has been going on for decades and it appears to be a violation of the American's With Disabilities Act.

Is anyone here experiencing this type of discrimination within their local graduate chapter?

Thank you.

Last edited by LebaDoo; 03-13-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Not an NPC practice

I don't know the motivation of this poster, but it is obviously fraudulent if it is referring to any NPC sororities. First of all, groups do not require a sponsor, only recommendations/references and second of all, these are mostly done online and do not require most alums to leave their homes, much less attend a convention. If this is a practice of the black sororities, then I stand corrected, and perhaps the few NPHC members that frequent this site might respond to this poster's concerns.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittDZ View Post
I don't know the motivation of this poster, but it is obviously fraudulent if it is referring to any NPC sororities. First of all, groups do not require a sponsor, only recommendations/references and second of all, these are mostly done online and do not require most alums to leave their homes, much less attend a convention. If this is a practice of the black sororities, then I stand corrected, and perhaps the few NPHC members that frequent this site might respond to this poster's concerns.

The use of the term "local graduate chapter" tells me that this is not likely to be an NPC organization.

True and Constant
Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebaDoo View Post
Hello.

I belong to a local graduate Greek chapter that appears to be consistently discriminating against it's own elderly and disabled members. The chapter has come up with ways to screen out the oldest and most distinguished members, so they cannot sponsor a candidate for membership. For example, they are mandating that these old women (some in wheelchairs and walkers) attend national meetings, when they know that it's just not possible for most of them. The women are cancer survivors, some have bodies riddled with various diseases, and etc. They have been members for 70 years or longer, and never missed a membership fee! This practice has been going on for decades and it appears to be a violation of the American's With Disabilities Act.

Is anyone here experiencing this type of discrimination within their local graduate chapter?

Thank you.
You have internal means to settle disputes, probably starting at the Member at Large of your chapter's board of directors.

From what I am aware of this particular organization, the local chapter has the right to determine who qualifies as a sponsor. And not that I don't feel your plight--I truly do--but I have seen photos of elderly members who actually are able to fulfill the requirements of sponsorship.

For the ones who are not able, surely they have the clout to find a member who WILL sponsor their candidate on their behalf.

Finally... it's not impossible for a potential candidate to attend public events and make her own inroads with members who like her and grow to want to sponsor her without solicitation.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The title of the post "MIP Discrimination" was a clear indicator that this was not an NPC issue. Pretty harsh response that was totally off the mark. More experienced GCers know it is best to stay in our lane.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Apologies...I stand corrected

I initially thought that the poster was a troll that was mocking sororities when I started my reply. Just before hitting "submit" it occurred to me that perhaps the NPHC sororities did have this practice, as I know their alumnae groups are a very active and integral part of their organizations. As it appears that this is the case, some members with knowledge of their membership selection practices have started to reply. I did not mean this to sound like a racist comment at all. I just know that there are not too many of our NPHC organization members that frequent GC and discuss their issues, therefore NPC members may have wondered about the authenticity of this post, as I did. I am glad that we have some NPHC members and would encourage them to post more often. Although their membership selection process differs from NPC's, we have more other issues and practices in common.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I initially thought that the poster was a troll that was mocking sororities when I started my reply. Just before hitting "submit" it occurred to me that perhaps the NPHC sororities did have this practice, as I know their alumnae groups are a very active and integral part of their organizations. As it appears that this is the case, some members with knowledge of their membership selection practices have started to reply. I did not mean this to sound like a racist comment at all. I just know that there are not too many of our NPHC organization members that frequent GC and discuss their issues, therefore NPC members may have wondered about the authenticity of this post, as I did. I am glad that we have some NPHC members and would encourage them to post more often. Although their membership selection process differs from NPC's, we have more other issues and practices in common.
I believe that there are plenty of experienced NPHC members here on GC. They have educated us all that discretion is a critical part of their process. NPHC specific questions occasionally go unanswered because those members choose not to reply. This is simply not the right place for those questions, especially sensitive membership questions, so discussion is not encouraged.