GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,337
2 members and 1,335 guests
Cookiez17, g41965

Old 04-08-2019, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Felicity Huffman Pleads Guilty

She did the right thing, although her charges were one of the least egregious of the majority of the parents that were indicted.

"Huffman, Gregory and Marcia Abbott, Jane Buckingham, Gordon Caplan, Robert Flaxman, Agustin Huneeus Jr., Marjorie Klapper, Peter Jan Sartorio, Stephen Semprevivo and Devin Sloane were all charged with one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud and have agreed to plead guilty, prosecutors said."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/08/us/fe...ons/index.html
Old 12-31-2019, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

As for laura laughlins situation,

this is how the FEDs, do people who do not plead guilty and take a deal or plea, PILE EXTRA CHARGES on them!

Makes them feel a lot worse than they may feel just so they will take a plea. I did and most L E O's did. Yep, sad I know.

Hope she and hubby beat the whole mess and then spank the hell out of the TWO BRAT's she has for kids!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-31-2019, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post

this is how the FEDs, do people who do not plead guilty and take a deal or plea, PILE EXTRA CHARGES on them!

Makes them feel a lot worse than they may feel just so they will take a plea. I did and most L E O's did. Yep, sad I know.

Hope she and hubby beat the whole mess and then spank the hell out of the TWO BRAT's she has for kids!
Tom, if they committed a crime, they committed a crime. You already know that people are offered plea deals for lesser charges in the interest of a more swift justice (for the public and/or the victims). If the defendant qualifies for all of the charges then so be it. If they are not guilty of all or some of the charges, then they should be found not guilty. As for the two daughters, they don't publicly seem to be remorseful of the situation or their mother's predicament at all. If the parents were willing to pay $500,000 to grease their daughters' way into college, then I assume they aren't the kind of parents to "spank" their daughters - and that's what got them into this mess in the first place.

True and Constant
Old 01-01-2020, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the key thing is did she commit a crime. That is for the court to work out, not be tried in the Press and public opinion

Is it not possible that she was duped by the guy? It was a donation to and for the school? As I said, the heck with the brat daughters who would not have the chance at online careers.

But, I also said that Law Enforcement will stack more and more charges on to over whelm and scare them, and that is what they are doing!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-01-2020, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think the key thing is did she commit a crime. That is for the court to work out, not be tried in the Press and public opinion
Correct. Ms. Laughlin will indeed have her day in court. Since you are also in the "public", then perhaps you should also not be attempting to proclaim her guilt or innocence outside of court?

Quote:
Is it not possible that she was duped by the guy? It was a donation to and for the school?
Sure, that is absolutely possible. That is why it seems she has pleaded "not guilty" and will proceed to a trial to explain her side of the story.

Quote:
But, I also said that Law Enforcement will stack more and more charges on to over whelm and scare them, and that is what they are doing!
Tom, it's a little too broad to say that "law enforcement" are "stacking on" the charges. An FBI Special Agent who specializes in financial crimes is the one who hit everyone with it: https://www.justice.gov/file/1142876/download

And apparently it was a Grand Jury in Massachusetts which brought on the additional charges: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...andal-n1070111

I'm neutral on the matter. If the woman committed a crime, then may she be found guilty and receive an appropriate sentence. If she is innocent of some or all of the charges, may she be found innocent.

True and Constant
Old 01-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I've negotiated more than my fair share of pleas. What you just described is something I've never seen. When we're talking about one act or one investigation, the Defendant is typically charged and doesn't actually learn about the charges until she receives them in court. I've never once seen a Assistant District Attorney pile on charges because people didn't take a plea.

I have seen ADAs dismiss charges as part of a plea. An example off the top of my head was where my guy was charged with possession of marijuana, cocaine, and paraphernalia as well as possession of a firearm while committing a felony, our ADA graciously dropped the gun charge so we could send the kid to a boot camp type program. The gun charge was considered a violent crime, which would have made that diversion impossible.

It's a pretty good rule of thumb to not make up your mind if you care about guilt or innocence until the trial and until the Defendant or her counsel make the State prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-01-2020, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

No, Tom, just NO. You're barking completely up the wrong tree, in the wrong county/zip code/area code/what have you.

Please. It's not a good look to defend Lori Loughlin & Mossimo Giannulli & Felicity Huffman & all the other Very Rich People who knew full well what they were doing. And to describe their children as "brats" - really? Sigh. Please. Do some research, set aside your own prejudices and opinions. This entire situation is rotten and symptomatic of what's going on at the highest levels of governments everywhere. Rich people have different rules. You know that, right?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-02-2020, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Tom, it's a little too broad to say that "law enforcement" are "stacking on" the charges. An FBI Special Agent who specializes in financial crimes is the one who hit everyone with it:

navane,
Not really, I saw it many, many times, and I did it my self when I was a COP. It depended on how they acted when arrested. Also another reason was a judge would look at the charges and more than likely give a stiffer penalty.

Also, I have seen how the FBI did, and how it has worked. Look at Meuller Report and Comer (?)

Also, I would miss her on Hallmark as a good home maker and business woman!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-03-2020, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 01-04-2020, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

What the real crime is, is what schools now charge!

Kev, never said anything about D A's piling on charges, but Law Enforcement People.

Yes D A's can bring down charges and work out deals.

Actually for me, I could less about attending a school like USC.

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 01-04-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a street cop; but, since I have peace officer status as well, I understand what Tom is trying to say. For example, say a guy gets pulled over for speeding. Instead of simply cooperating, the driver acts like a belligerent turd. So, the cop might then also cite the driver for tail light out, unapproved tinted windows, and littering when the driver throws his citation on the ground. Those may have all been legitimate and lawful citations, but the cop probably would have only given the speeding citation if the driver had just kept it together for a few minutes. I get it.....but that's not what's happening here. In this case, we're talking about an alleged $500,000 financial crime that was charged by the FBI and a state grand jury.

True and Constant