GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,043
0 members and 2,043 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2016, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Chapter was just closed - now what?

Hi everyone, I'm new here!

My sorority's chapter was just closed a couple of weeks ago. I'd rather not go into detail regarding why..... Anyway, I've been in this sorority since my second semester freshman year, and now I'm a senior, about to graduate. We had a meeting with our National President during which we were given notice that our chapter was going to be shut down and we will all be dismissed as members. She explained to us that now, according to the org, none of us have ever been members. We won't be considered alumni and basically any trace of us having connections to the sorority are going to be gone. Additionally, we can't "function" as a sorority, and we were warned against wearing our letters in that we could face legal repercussions by doing so. I personally filed an appeal but won't hear back for another few months.

In the mean time, every morning I look into my closet and seriously struggle while getting dressed because LITERALLY 90% of my clothes have letters on them. I've resorted to secretly wearing them anyway. Does anyone know if I could face any real legal repercussions by doing this? Our biggest concern is other orgs taking pictures and sending them in, because that's been a problem in the past. But I can't help but wonder what could happen to me even if I do face that scenario? Technically I have already been a member of the sorority for over 3 years, and paid A LOT of money over time in dues as well as for all of these lettered shirts/ sweatshirts etc. I don't know how anyone could expect me to just pretend like it never happened... If I can't wear them "because im no longer considered a member," couldn't I just say I'm wearing them to show support for the organization even if I'm no longer part of it?

Please let me know your take on this! And if you have any advice it'd be appreciated. (:
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

The fact that you were not given alumna status gives me pause.
There must be a VERY GOOD reason for this?
Are you for real?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post

My sorority's chapter was just closed a couple of weeks ago. I'd rather not go into detail regarding why..... Anyway, I've been in this sorority since my second semester freshman year, and now I'm a senior, about to graduate. We had a meeting with our National President during which we were given notice that our chapter was going to be shut down and we will all be dismissed as members. She explained to us that now, according to the org, none of us have ever been members. We won't be considered alumni and basically any trace of us having connections to the sorority are going to be gone. Additionally, we can't "function" as a sorority, and we were warned against wearing our letters in that we could face legal repercussions by doing so. I personally filed an appeal but won't hear back for another few months.

In the mean time, every morning I look into my closet and seriously struggle while getting dressed because LITERALLY 90% of my clothes have letters on them. I've resorted to secretly wearing them anyway. Does anyone know if I could face any real legal repercussions by doing this? Our biggest concern is other orgs taking pictures and sending them in, because that's been a problem in the past. But I can't help but wonder what could happen to me even if I do face that scenario? Technically I have already been a member of the sorority for over 3 years, and paid A LOT of money over time in dues as well as for all of these lettered shirts/ sweatshirts etc. I don't know how anyone could expect me to just pretend like it never happened... If I can't wear them "because im no longer considered a member," couldn't I just say I'm wearing them to show support for the organization even if I'm no longer part of it?

Please let me know your take on this! And if you have any advice it'd be appreciated. (:
What conference was this in? NPC, NPHC, NMGC etc.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
NPC

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
...... We had a meeting with our National President during which we were given notice that our chapter was going to be shut down and we will all be dismissed as members. She explained to us that now, according to the org, none of us have ever been members. We won't be considered alumni and basically any trace of us having connections to the sorority are going to be gone. Additionally, we can't "function" as a sorority, and we were warned against wearing our letters in that we could face legal repercussions by doing so. .....
Says quite a bit.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry about your chapter. It truly is like a death in the family.

I've never heard of a chapter closing and all members being expelled, but I'm sure it's happened before. The circumstances must have been truly egregious - I admit, I'm very curious.

But if the national president told you personally that legal action would be taken if you identified yourself in any way with the sorority, then I would say it's pretty certain the sorority would not be shy about prosecuting. It's conceivable that the sorority could demand all goods with their copyrighted symbols, letters and emblems.

Wear your stuff in private, if you must, but start collecting some new garments.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as I know,most NPC groups will ask for your badge back if you are expelled. So I concur that it must have been an egregious event and well investigated. While it is sad, it is reality based on the actions of evidently all the chapter members. Goodness! So sad.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as wearing letters, I don't think an org can prosecute on that. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd think that would fall under freedom of speech. My college roommate/close friend was a DPhiE and I'd borrowed an event tee (with letters) before when I hadn't done laundry and was desperate. I def wasn't going to do anything disrespectful while wearing that shirt.

I'm really shocked you guys weren't given automatic alumna status. If there were a couple of bad apples in the chapter it's not fair to punish the rest. Feel so bad for you.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I would say it's pretty certain the sorority would not be shy about prosecuting. It's conceivable that the sorority could demand all goods with their copyrighted symbols, letters and emblems.
I don't think that's how the law works.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I swear to God, I thought the last sentence from the OP would be, "Since I was technically never in this sorority can I join another NPC?"

Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
As far as I know,most NPC groups will ask for your badge back if you are expelled. So I concur that it must have been an egregious event and well investigated. While it is sad, it is reality based on the actions of evidently all the chapter members. Goodness! So sad.

Yes, we were asked for our badges back but many of us either don't have them anymore or brought them home... Also, not all of us were involved in why the chapter was closed. That's why I personally am so disappointed by it. Those involved also seem to be unaffected and don't care. :/

Our campus also had three other sororities and two frats be closed down by their nationals in the past 2-3 years for similar reasons. So it really is more of a campus-wide problem. My sorority closed our chapter because they did an investigation and did find some reason for why it should be closed, but it was more because they felt that having a chapter here was a liability considering how other orgs here are functioning.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
As far as wearing letters, I don't think an org can prosecute on that. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd think that would fall under freedom of speech. My college roommate/close friend was a DPhiE and I'd borrowed an event tee (with letters) before when I hadn't done laundry and was desperate. I def wasn't going to do anything disrespectful while wearing that shirt.

I'm really shocked you guys weren't given automatic alumna status. If there were a couple of bad apples in the chapter it's not fair to punish the rest. Feel so bad for you.
Definitely, some bad apples have drawn attention to our chapter by nationals. I've never acted disrespectfully or in any way that would reflect poorly upon my sorority while wearing my letters. Other girls... Not so much.

Also, our First Amendment protection is the first thing that came to my mind when I decided I would just still wear my letters anyway lol. Don't I have the right to wear what I want? It's Freedom of Expression, as long as what I'm wearing isn't threatening to others... That's why I was wondering what real legal action could be taken if they wanted to prosecute me for something like that.

Last edited by TheresaM; 02-09-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
I swear to God, I thought the last sentence from the OP would be, "Since I was technically never in this sorority can I join another NPC?"

Nope, I still want to be able to represent the sorority that I was in because it was something I've always been proud of.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

This is the issue: If you signed something when you were initiated saying that you would return certain items and not wear the letters if your membership was ever terminated for any reason, that is the legal leg they have to stand on. Many NPC groups have such a statement that the newly initiated members sign or sign right before initiation. If you signed such then that's a promise you made.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
This is the issue: If you signed something when you were initiated saying that you would return certain items and not wear the letters if your membership was ever terminated for any reason, that is the legal leg they have to stand on. Many NPC groups have such a statement that the newly initiated members sign or sign right before initiation. If you signed such then that's a promise you made.

Oh. =| I don't remember signing anything about that... I'm going to look into it.