GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,003
0 members and 1,003 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFalpha View Post
@lucgreek

If you actually think I'm dumb enough to say any of this out loud to anyone, you're on the same level as FleurGirl. I thought that maybe if I came on this site, and was brutally honest I would actually get some help. Maybe get some questions answered in a mature way that I could never ask one of the brothers. Way to show just how nice and helpful the individuals in Greek Life are.
I was answering in a completely mature way, by being blunt. If you're going through rush to get "9's and 10's," a pair of letters isn't going to make that happen. You've stated really superficial reasons about going through rush that brothers WILL see through. You haven't even stated why you want to join a fraternity. It's also funny you're going by what you "hear" or "see," despite saying you know brothers in the groups. If these guys haven't approached you about rushing since you've met them, maybe they don't find you material for their group.

I'll be even more blunt. You're essentially a junior who will graduate next year. Which means if you pledge this spring, you have one year as an active. That is enough for most groups to say 'no thanks.'

Just FYI, there are members of groups at UCF who read these boards. It would be very easy to find out who you are based on your information.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
I was answering in a completely mature way, by being blunt. If you're going through rush to get "9's and 10's," a pair of letters isn't going to make that happen. You've stated really superficial reasons about going through rush that brothers WILL see through. You haven't even stated why you want to join a fraternity. It's also funny you're going by what you "hear" or "see," despite saying you know brothers in the groups. If these guys haven't approached you about rushing since you've met them, maybe they don't find you material for their group.

I'll be even more blunt. You're essentially a junior who will graduate next year. Which means if you pledge this spring, you have one year as an active. That is enough for most groups to say 'no thanks.'

Just FYI, there are members of groups at UCF who read these boards. It would be very easy to find out who you are based on your information.
Thank you for this answer. I appreciate your bluntness and your professional answer. The reason I asked these superficial questions on here is because I would never ask them in person. I agree they are very shallow and silly, but they aren't things I would say without being anonymous.

The main reasons I want to rush is the relationships you build with the brothers, the networking you partake in general on campus, and the potential connections for the future. Since I am a business major, I believe it is extremely important to be involved in Greek life.

And yes the brothers of the fraternities I mention, as well as others, have asked me to rush every semester since I have been here. Most of the hearing and seeing has occurred first hand or from the brothers I know.

Thank you for the last part, I agree it would be best for me to remain anonymous for obvious reasons. However, I'm very private about my intentions so I would be surprised if anyone would be able to figure out who I am. I do see what you are saying, and I will be more careful.

Last edited by UCFalpha; 01-14-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And yes the brothers of the fraternities I mention, as well as others, have asked me to rush every semester since I have been here. Most of the hearing and seeing has occurred first hand or from the brothers I know.
Then you seem to have all the information you need. What's the point of asking here? We're all people on the internet. We don't know your campus better than you.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then you seem to have all the information you need. What's the point of asking here? We're all people on the internet. We don't know your campus better than you.
Very true. However, for my future would a professional or social fraternity be better for getting potential jobs or internships?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Very true. However, for my future would a professional or social fraternity be better for getting potential jobs or internships?
Where internships are concerned, it's more of your department major and advisor. They are the ones who can help you best with finding internships in your field.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Networking gets you a job or internship. Any group will provide you with that. Being a Sigma Chi won't automatically get you a job over being in Alpha Kappa Psi. It's all situational. You're asking a question that doesn't have a straight answer.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Where internships are concerned, it's more of your department major and advisor. They are the ones who can help you best with finding internships in your field.
Quote:
Networking gets you a job or internship. Any group will provide you with that. Being a Sigma Chi won't automatically get you a job over being in Alpha Kappa Psi. It's all situational. You're asking a question that doesn't have a straight answer.
Thank you for both of your answers. Although I may not have a clear answer, you both have helped me a lot. I realize now that the I need to go with my gut decision.

I know networking is important, but you both have some very good points. I suppose the only reason I would go with a professional business fraternity would be for the potential business opportunites, not for the brotherhood and other reasons I listed.

When it comes down to it I guess I just wanted to know if AKPsi would provide me with far better opportunity for my future in business. If it is not an extreme difference, then I would definitely want to join a social fraternity, as the individuals involved are far more appealing to me.

Thank you again for your help! You both have been very helpful!

If a moderator wants to close or delete this thread now, please feel free to.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This entire thread...

What the fuck.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
This entire thread...

What the fuck.
The answer is to go get with some 9's and 10's now, obviously.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
@ BemoreLXA,

Thank you for actually taking the question seriously. Your answer was very helpful. Any reason as to why the business fratERNITY is a bad idea? (@ FleurGirl - Talk about being a troll, if really abbreviating "frat" on the internet bothers you so much, I wish I could meet your sisters, they must be Jesus Christ to deal with your ridiculous attitude).

@lucgreek

If you actually think I'm dumb enough to say any of this out loud to anyone, you're on the same level as FleurGirl. I thought that maybe if I came on this site, and was brutally honest I would actually get some help. Maybe get some questions answered in a mature way that I could never ask one of the brothers. Way to show just how nice and helpful the individuals in Greek Life are.

@33girl

If you're going to attempt to be humorous or satirical, please actually make it somewhat clever/original. Resorting to a lame "bi" joke? Didn't know they had Greek Life in 3rd grade. Again, it seems that these boards are dominated with trolls who lack any ability to be helpful in the least. I think the "trollfest" hit hardest right by your computer screen.

@ anyone that isn't a giant dbag

Care to give me some more GOOD opinions?
Why is the business fraternity a bad idea? Are they really not that helpful?

Thank you to everyone that is able to give me a MATURE answer (all one of you).
No problem man. First, I think the business fraternity would be a worse option compared to the social fraternities because you primarily want the business fraternity for networking connections it seems and those connections are also possible with social fraternities since they're nationwide organizations with plenty of members in all aspects of society. I guess thats one thing you could consider when choosing who to pledge. Secondly, the other reasons you want to go greek don't exactly align with the business fraternity either. So i wouldn't chose that over a social org.

However, if your school allows you to join both I would say go for it if you think you can. Just don't pledge both at the same time, I'd pledge the social one first.

Also, I somewhat have a problem calling a fraternity a "frat". You wouldn't call your country a cunt. However, I felt differently as a GDI. When you see things from the perspective of an initiated member you may feel differently

Best of Luck
Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This entire thread...

What the fuck.
Yes, this whole thread does seem to be about what the OP effs.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

joining either group will offer opportunities to you: networking, social opportunities, potential leadership opportunities, etc.

as to having more desirable sex partners to choose from, if you were a hot guy with a great personality and lots of money who knew how to treat a lady, it would not matter to me which, if any, letters you were sporting around campus.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The answer is to go get with some 9's and 10's now, obviously.
Yes, because my being in a fraternity is the one and only reason I'm able to get ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Yes, this whole thread does seem to be about what the OP effs.
Or what he doesn't fuck, you know, since you have to be in a GLO to get some.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
You are going to make connections in either group. It will be up to you to add to the group you choose in order to make the friendships where people will want to help you out.

I know that Sigma Chi has helped me out on several occassions. My first 2 jobs out of college were through my fraternity connections. Even years later, I have had people notice my ring and say, "Oh, Sigma Chi". I've had friends in other fraternities where this has happened to them.

Can you be in Alpha Kappa Psi and a social fraternity at the same time (I honestly don't know)? Why not rush a social group first and then AKPsi 2nd (if allowed)?
Good answer
Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, because my being in a fraternity is the one and only reason I'm able to get ass.
When I initiated, the membership packet from my national office explained, in detail, how I no longer would have to suffer from 5s and 6s, but now got to get with 9s and 10s.

Obviously it's the only reason I joined.