GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,798
3 members and 2,795 guests
abenjaminmarley, Cookiez17, John

Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMTTT View Post
If all you're looking for in a fraternity is getting laid then by all means, stay GDI.
As I said before, I was simply asking the questions that I can't ask in person.

@ the majority of those that responded

I like how I ask for some non-judgmental answers, and all I get is rude and unhelpful responses. Really a welcoming community you ladies and gentlemen have here.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFalpha View Post
I was being HONEST! Like I said, there are other issues I have, but those I can ask and have answered. And actually, I think it is perfectly mature. At UCF, Sigma Chi is known for "f**king 9's and 10's." Ask anyone on campus what they've heard about Sigma Chi, and EVERYONE will say that. Hell, even the brothers I know say that is one of their main selling points. But those are only the one's being honest and straight.

Clearly you would rather have a bunch of fake, misleading people involved, but I was hoping for some straight and USEFUL help. Apparently I was incredibly wrong. I would be ashamed if I ever treated a guest like that (on the internet or in real life).

So once again, if you cannot give me a legitimate answer,
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING IN THIS THREAD!

Thank you very much.
Honest =/= Mature

Example: My 6 year old can honestly say that she wants a Hershey's bar for breakfast, but that's not a mature idea. Honest, but not mature.

Also, I hate to tell ya, but you don't get to control who responds to what thread. Even if you do use a smilie face.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 01-14-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As I said before, I was simply asking the questions that I can't ask in person.

@ the majority of those that responded

I like how I ask for some non-judgmental answers, and all I get is rude and unhelpful responses. Really a welcoming community you ladies and gentlemen have here.
You ask judgemental questions, you get judgemental answers.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Okay, God's honest truth:

Should you rush and join a fraternity?

We don't know.

We don't know you.

Only you can answer the question.

It gets difficult for us to take seriously the MANY times this question gets asked. We're strangers on a chatboard. We don't know you well enough to say "Yes, go for it" or "No, you will hate it".

I could ask everybody here: "Should I be a police officer?" They only know that I have an interest in the field, not that I'm scared of guns and have a wooden foot. (btw - I don't have a wooden foot and I'm not scared of guns.)

You said you have friends in Sigma Chi. Ask them. Ask the people who know you. They can give you the serious answers.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Post Script:

While having sex with beautiful women in college is a great thing, it is not what the fraternity is about. If that is the biggest selling point of our chapter at UCF, then my fellow brothers are not living up to the Jordan Standard and completely misunderstanding our ritual.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Honest =/= Mature

Also, I hate to tell ya, but you don't get to control who responds to what thread. Even if you do use a smilie face.
I agree, however this is the reality at UCF. And I figured since this is the internet, I could get some honesty. All I've gotten so far is a bunch of rude responses (excluding BEMORE and LaneSig). The brothers in the social frats I mentioned make a HUGE deal about the girls they eff and everything I said. But so I wouldn't make an a** out of myself in person, I figured I would apparently make an a** out of myself on line.

Since you continue to respond, why not actually give me a little help?

The faster I get some help, the faster I can make my decision, and the faster I can go back to my troll cave which is obviously the only place I could've come from.

Is the business fraternity a good idea? From a business (future jobs, internships, etc.) standpoint, is a social or professional fraternity better?

Last edited by UCFalpha; 01-14-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You ask judgemental questions, you get judgemental answers.
Actually, all I asked for was to pick one of the 4#'s I provided as an answer. And explain why you think that answer is best.

Also, I asked for an explanation as to why AKPsi would not be a good idea to rush.

Please explain how those questions would have anything to do with judging me personally? Especially when this is anonymous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Okay, God's honest truth:

Should you rush and join a fraternity?

We don't know.

We don't know you.

Only you can answer the question.

It gets difficult for us to take seriously the MANY times this question gets asked. We're strangers on a chatboard. We don't know you well enough to say "Yes, go for it" or "No, you will hate it".

I could ask everybody here: "Should I be a police officer?" They only know that I have an interest in the field, not that I'm scared of guns and have a wooden foot. (btw - I don't have a wooden foot and I'm not scared of guns.)

You said you have friends in Sigma Chi. Ask them. Ask the people who know you. They can give you the serious answers.
THANK YOU for this answer! I really appreciate it. I realize you are right and your solution is the best way.

Is there any reason why the business fraternity is a bad idea? I know the other individual that gave me a real answer advised against it.

Last edited by UCFalpha; 01-14-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Is the business fraternity a good idea? From a business (future jobs, internships, etc.) standpoint, is a social or professional fraternity better?

You are going to make connections in either group. It will be up to you to add to the group you choose in order to make the friendships where people will want to help you out.

I know that Sigma Chi has helped me out on several occassions. My first 2 jobs out of college were through my fraternity connections. Even years later, I have had people notice my ring and say, "Oh, Sigma Chi". I've had friends in other fraternities where this has happened to them.

Can you be in Alpha Kappa Psi and a social fraternity at the same time (I honestly don't know)? Why not rush a social group first and then AKPsi 2nd (if allowed)?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You're judging what fraternity life is all about. How many "sexy ladies" you know and 9's and 10's shoudn't matter. It makes you look like a douche.

And noone's going to tell you which fraternity to join. YOU decide what's right for you. If you're looking for people to bad mouth other orgs then you're on the wrong site.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually, all I asked for was to pick one of the 4#'s I provided as an answer. And explain why you think that answer is best.
GreekChat is not class, and you are not its professor.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
You are going to make connections in either group. It will be up to you to add to the group you choose in order to make the friendships where people will want to help you out.

I know that Sigma Chi has helped me out on several occassions. My first 2 jobs out of college were through my fraternity connections. Even years later, I have had people notice my ring and say, "Oh, Sigma Chi". I've had friends in other fraternities where this has happened to them.

Can you be in Alpha Kappa Psi and a social fraternity at the same time (I honestly don't know)? Why not rush a social group first and then AKPsi 2nd (if allowed)?
Thanks again for the response!

Yes, at UCF you can be in a social and professional fraternity. However, I don't actually know anyone who has done it, mainly because of the large amount of work and time a pledge or brother has to invest.

Last edited by UCFalpha; 01-16-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Winter break + huge ass storms = trollfest.
can add to sig plz?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're judging what fraternity life is all about. How many "sexy ladies" you know and 9's and 10's shoudn't matter. It makes you look like a douche.

And noone's going to tell you which fraternity to join. YOU decide what's right for you. If you're looking for people to bad mouth other orgs then you're on the wrong site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I was simply asking for some advice, much like LaneSig provided. I agree I came across as a douche, but I was just being honest, and I was hoping to get some real answers. I'm not asking for anyone to bad mouth anyone. I just wanted to get some professional answers that would help influence my decisions.

And once again, thank you for extremely helpful and enlightening post agzg. Very helpful.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
OMG, this is sig worthy too! This thread is good for something, after all.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
OMG, this is sig worthy too! This thread is good for something, after all.
And thank you for the generous contribution you have added. Without your needless spam, this thread would be nowhere.