GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,384
0 members and 1,384 guests
No Members online

Old 07-26-2000, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW!!!

I have truly learned a WHOLE BUNCH from this particular thread.

Keep the information coming.

Rain Man...very interesting.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-26-2000, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...every other Greek I know (including myself) had to learn a song...but, I had already learned Greek to some extent before. In "Learning About Sororities", the NPC pamphlet, there's a chart which lists the two different pronunciations. I had learned well before I had heard of Alpha Phi that the correct GREEK pronunciation was "fee", and I had known that Phi Mu was "Fee Moo", not "Fie Mew".
Old 07-27-2000, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Where is this written? Just curious cause there are a lot of organizations that pronounce it as FI.....(zeta phi beta, alpha phi alpha, iota phi theta...)

**Don't forget that when the letter Phi is preceded by a letter ending in 'a' (alpha, beta, etc.), it is pronounced FEE not FI (long I).**

Old 07-27-2000, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Liana - you've got it! you need some sort of pressure activity to learn the Greek alphabet. It won't be lists or songs that will help you...

I learned it when I was a pledge (back in the olden days of hazing and "pledges"!! 1991) because we did this Field Day activity that all the sorority pledge classes competed in, and you had one minute to spell out the whole Greek alphabet WITH YOUR BODIES in teams of three girls.

Old 07-27-2000, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Not so much pressure as immersion. There's a lot of work to do on a Greek Life webpage for a major university, and I learned it went a lot quicker if I didn't look up the letters every ten minutes. I've been working on this page for months, and I'm days away from being done ^_^
Old 07-27-2000, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a page with both pronunciations www.geocities.com/macmarv/kappabet.html
Old 07-28-2000, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Finer Woman - you are so right! It really was. The Field Day event is always two or three weeks after the new members pledge, so the girls are just really getting to know one another well, and it's a great bonding experience. Plus, since all the sororities participate, you get to see all the girls you haven't seen since rush (since they have all been busy with activities in their own chapters). One of the fraternities hosts the day-long event, and the main competition is a food drive for an area food bank.

Liana - I hear you!!! I administer a Greek website right now, and to me, the GLOs are actually ACW, ADP, AEF, CW, KAQ, DSQ, FKY, PBF, etc. I almost recognize the "symbol" translations quicker than the actual Greek letters now!
Old 07-28-2000, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I have learned a lot from this post thanks all and just for reference sake I learned the greek alphabet by the "group" method and then once I knew it, I wrote it over and over again as fast as I could, just because the spelling throughs me off, but do what ever you need to do to learn them.
Old 07-29-2000, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Alum:

I learned it when I was a pledge (back in the olden days of hazing and "pledges"!! 1991) because we did this Field Day activity that all the sorority pledge classes competed in, and you had one minute to spell out the whole Greek alphabet WITH YOUR BODIES in teams of three girls.

That's too cute! The comraderie displayed must be incredible in the competitions.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 08-01-2000, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
Thumbs up

I wish I could learn other stuff as quickly as I did the alphabet. I learned it by "logic" (I associated it with our alphabet, and compared the differences). (eg, ours has 26 letters, the greek, 24).It took about ten minutes.

Easy E www.angelfire.com/va2/gammachi
Old 08-02-2000, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
...and then it gets really interesting, when you trying to differentiate between uppercase and lowercase letters...ACK!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 08-02-2000, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Try Pledging!
Old 08-02-2000, 11:32 PM
Tweety7

My pledge class learned the greek alphabet by "singing it" to that old nursery rhyme-"Itsy-Bitsy-Spider"! It works!
Old 08-02-2000, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I just did it and that is so cute
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweety7:
My pledge class learned the greek alphabet by "singing it" to that old nursery rhyme-"Itsy-Bitsy-Spider"! It works!
Old 08-03-2000, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

We sung the alphabet to the Barney tune. Everyday or even twice a day you must sing the alphabet, write the symbols in order, write the symbol and put it with the right letter. Practice everyday until you can get them all right. You must if you want to be greek!!. Speaking of the Phi- Fee. A member of Alpha Phi told me if there was nothing following the Phi, you pronounce it Fee. If something follows it (Alpha Phi Alpha) then you pronounce it Phi.