GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike

Old 02-11-2003, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Clemson

Just wanted to pass the news along to all those out there that Clemson University will NOT be expanding!! The vote to take expansion to Panhellenic did not pass. Many people are not happy about this but DGs here are so happy.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-11-2003, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Could you give a little explanation as to why some are mad but you ladies are happy?
Old 02-12-2003, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

We are happy because our chapter is the smallest and it could hurt our fall COB and we are really looking to grow as a chapter right now. Other sororities are mad because they want another sorority on campus to lower chapter total which would help increase sisterhood. OUr president told us that other presidents are jealous of our close sisterhood since we are a small chapter. That is all I know not being directly involved in panhellenic or the discussion about expansion.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:57 PM

Do all you can as a Panhellenic unit to get the two smallest groups up to chapter average, then go from there.

edited to take out reference to now deleted comment by hoosier--amycat)

I do agree that the president sugarcoated the situation somewhat, but apparently the existing sororities are tired of being so huge they don't know each other. So much for "bigger is better."

Last edited by amycat412; 02-13-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

(edited to remove reference to hoosier's post)

SB- good luck with COB. Maybe you guys could talk to EO like the EX chapter, have them help you with a PR push?

Last edited by amycat412; 02-13-2003 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Another big lie

Another big lie posted above: "less people = less cost"

If a band costs $2000, and the hotel ballroom rental costs $500, and the decorations cost $1000, the party costs $3500.

IF your weeny chapter has 35 members, that's $100 per member.

IF you chapter has 100 members, that's $35 per member.

Bigger chapters have more OF EVERYTHING, including friendship and brotherhood/sisterhood.

The 100-member chapter above could have three $35 per member parties and spend $105 per member - just a bit more than the weenys spend for only one.

The myth of a small quality chapter is a myth.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Re: Another big lie

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Another big lie posted above: "less people = less cost"

If a band costs $2000, and the hotel ballroom rental costs $500, and the decorations cost $1000, the party costs $3500.

IF your weeny chapter has 35 members, that's $100 per member.

IF you chapter has 100 members, that's $35 per member.

Bigger chapters have more OF EVERYTHING, including friendship and brotherhood/sisterhood.

The 100-member chapter above could have three $35 per member parties and spend $105 per member - just a bit more than the weenys spend for only one.

I'm insulted by your implication that necessarily small chapters at small colleges aren't "quality". You are rude and obviously don't understand the dynamics of a smaller chapter. Were you a member of a pledge class with 55 people? Obviously there is no way that they could all know each other equally well, even at the end of 5 years. Obviously, if the other chapters at Clemson wanted a new sorority on campus, they, for whatever reasons, want smaller chapters. They believe that smaller chapters would give them more "quality". sbhill's sorority wants to work closer toward total first. That doesn't mean that her chapter or ANY of the Clemson chapters aren't "quality". I don't see how you can encourage her to "leave her chapter". You don't know the first thing about her, her chapter, or the situation. Leave her alone.

*steps off her soapbox*
Old 02-12-2003, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Again,

I have a friend that went to Elon and had a chapter of 175, but could only really say she knew about 30 women on her composite. Another friend went to Gettysburg with a chapter of 120 but only really knew her pledge class.

Yes, financially a big chaper is way better off, and that's why so many executive offices push for more numbers. You can't go claiming that anything about a smaller chapter is a myth until you've visited every chapter of every fraternity and sorority in the country and determined which size has the absolute best friendship. Yes, large chapters at some school may have an amazing sisterhood and small chapters may not know each other well, but you can hardly generalize such a thing.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
BrownEyedGirl – Unfortunately, I don’t have any suggestions for assisting the smaller chapters. I do, however, want to say that I agree with you 100%!
Old 02-13-2003, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It's blatantly obvious how little you know of greek life from your posts. Instead of posting negative things all the time, why don't you contribute to the POSITIVE side of greek life??
Old 02-13-2003, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a few questions... The span between your smallest and largest sororities is great. Are you saying that the larger sororities support expansion because they believe they are too big and expansion will lower total thus allowing them to have fewer members? How much would quota be lowered by bringing one new sorority to campus? When Alpha Gam came to your campus, why did they only take 50 girls to start? What was chapter total then? If interest in a new group is low, what will make expansion different now? Also, how reasonable is it to expect a group with 65 members will be able to COB up to 130 in a semester?