GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,655
0 members and 2,655 guests
No Members online

Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking MusicLVR's Story...SOOOOO Excited!

Ooooops! In all my excitement I posted my recruitment experience in the wrong place. LOL! Sorry about that. So I want to re-post it to the right place now that I’ve been able to clam down a bit. Although I’m still pretty excited about everything that has been going on. The following comments were from the following thread: http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=85113

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
03-02-2007, 07:10 AM
SOOOOO Excited!
Hello everyone! I'm here to announce that I am going through rush. This is probably the most nerve wrecking yet completely exhilarating thing I have ever decided to do. All the ladies I have met so far have been so sweet and friendly. I hope that I can keep my wits and not let my nervousness take over because then I won’t talk! That’s NOT GOOD, of course.

I have taken the time to read through many of the postings to get some advice to help me through this journey. I think about what an honor it would be to have a group of sisters to share the rest of my life with. It is such a huge commitment and such a huge gift! Sometimes I’m so excited it’s hard for me to fall asleep at night.

Wish me luck and send me TONS of positive thoughts. I’m going to need them. Thanks everyone!

__________________________________________________ ____________
03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks Ladies!
I'm going through recruitment now. It has been a great week for me so far. I've made sure to talk to every single person present (even when I get all nervous) and it's made it a lot easier to get to know everyone. It even gets to a point where I don't have to think about it (what I should say, how to say it, when to say it so I don’t interrupt because I don’t want to be rude and so on) and we are just talking and laughing. I LOVE it!!!! It's really very nice. I hope that I have been able to make a good impression on the girls so far. I’m really proud of myself. I'm so excited right now I almost can't contain how happy I feel inside.

__________________________________________________ ____________
So there is my story so far.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

VTMom

Good Luck with recruitment. My daughter will be a student at Virginia Tech next Fall, 07 and in the Spring I hope to post a recruitment story about her experiences. I hope you find everything you are looking for!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Can't wait to hear the rest.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

And I thought recruitments were over!! lol Wishing you good luck and can't wait to hear the rest!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! I hope all goes well and I can't wait to hear about it.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!!! When did recruitment start? How long will it go for? Is it formal or informal? Details, details, details, please!!!

Ahhhh! I've become addicted!!! I love reading these threads! I'm excited that we still have a few more going... I thought I was going to have to wait until August for another batch!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for all your positive thoughts. I'm so nervous because at this point it's just a waiting game... tic, toc, tic, toc, tic, toc, tic, toc, tic, toc, tic, toc... These sure are heavy experiences!

By the way I apologize for leaving details out but I want to be as discrete as possible. Don't worry ladies, all will be over soon and then I can reveal all. Plus if I keep you in suspence then I know I'm not the only one going through it.

Has anyone seen the cute sorority rush/bid day videos on youtube.com? They are great! Too bad we can't post video clips on this site.

Talk to you soon ladies & wish me much luck!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

?

I knew that my decision to go into a University was going to be something life changing. I wanted to have my college career be as enhanced as possible. I thought a sorority would be an excellent place to learn about leadership, about helping others and ultimately about tapping into the potential that I have always felt stirring inside of me.

In the beggining I had no idea however that my journey was going to end like this. Even as I try and describe my journey to all of you I cannot describe how I feel inside.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLVR View Post
I knew that my decision to go into a University was going to be something life changing. I wanted to have my college career be as enhanced as possible. I thought a sorority would be an excellent place to learn about leadership, about helping others and ultimately about tapping into the potential that I have always felt stirring inside of me.

In the beggining I had no idea however that my journey was going to end like this. Even as I try and describe my journey to all of you I cannot describe how I feel inside.
????

I'm so confused by your post! It really doesn't sound like things are good for you right now... I hope everything is okay. If you need encouragement, words of comfort, or anything please let us know. We're all pulling for you.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Generally I'm a shy person especially when I first meet new people. I've gotten better over the years about it but it still takes me time to adjust to new situations- like going to a new school for example. Once I'm more comfortable I'm still only really comfortable talking to a few people but once it gets past 5 or more I again tend to just sit back and watch more than join in anyway. Thus one of the reasons why I thought joining a sorority would be good for me.

So before I went to school I did all my research and knew I was going to go for it- just do it because if I don't take lots of risks everyday I'll never be challenged and if I'm never challenged then I won't grow as an individual. I also knew immediately which Sorority I was going to go for.

So off I went, called, emailed, and met with some of the girls and asked lots of questions but only really spoke to 2 or 3 of the girls over time. I was always looking forward to seeing everyone, but I was too shy or afraid or something to just say that. Then the semester began and since I had not a clue of what going through recruitment was or ANYTHING (wish I had found this site earlier) I went through the whole process very very cautiously and ignorantly.

The only real perception I had of Sororities and Fraternities where through movies, t.v., and of the news reporting that some woman had been beaten to death (or something similar- but very negative non-the less) while "rushing" a sorority. I was assured of course by the sorority that it was not like that at all. I was still nervous I have to admit (not cause I thought I'd come into harms way but because all of it was still very new to me), but the energy of these girls was very positive and I could see how much they cared about each other and that made me look forward to seeing them. However, cautious me remained cautious through the whole process- remember I didn’t know there was a process taking place at this point- and I kept on going to events but still mostly watching not very much interacting although I asked many questions.

Then one day I went to pref night and I remember being so happy I smiled the WHOLE time. I didn't know what this meant (until I came here and read from other posts). Everything was beautiful. That was the night I thought I'm going to start taking the risks and no matter how shy or awkward I get I'm going to talk to more people. I'd still only pretty much spoken with the same couple of girls and some of the other interests. And when I spoke I was awkward (sometimes) and still cautious, I kept my answers very short and very proper. I didn't want to be rude of course.

So a few weeks went by an I didn't get another email. I didn't get a call. I didn't even really see anyone, although when I did see the girls they would've wave to me, come up to me and hug me- they were very nice to me. I felt sad and didn't want to show it to anyone. I felt sad because I knew something was wrong.

After seeking the advice of a few, I wrote the sorority an email expressing my interest and really for the first time being open about how much I wanted to be a part of their sorority. It was hard for me to do but I knew I had to have some sort of closure either way. So I got a very polite email response letting me know that the sorority had made its selection for the semester. I was encouraged to try again the semester that followed.

I was in shock (although come on- NO calls, No emails I felt the truth in my gut), I was sad and basically felt like I had no idea what had just happened. The whole thing was over in an instant- I mean it was FAST!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm sorry to hear that things didn't end up well for you. :/

you definitely should try again next semester. it's hard when you're shy... i know i have some sisters that don't feel comfortable in large groups of people. but it is recruitment, and if the sisters can't get a good glimpse of your personality, it's hard for them to decide if you and their house are a good fit. if you keep seeing the girls around campus and being friendly and open, you might start feeling more comfortable talking to them next time around. if you really liked the feeling you got from the sisterhood there, i think you definitely should go back to their house next semester.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ChildoftheHorn
If you are still interested in it.... You could talk to some of your friends who are affiliated with a sorority and ask them what they were really looking for. That could give you valuable insight for if you want to try again. I also have some friends that were given bids just because they were always stopping by a particular house to hang out with friends or pick them up. I am in no way encouraging you to try and dirty rush. I am just saying that it may happen for you in many different ways. If it is meant to happen, it will.

In my case, I went through rush my sophmore year and didn't get a bid (age and major were sort of an issue). Then ZTA recolonized at my school and I decided to give it a try. One of the best decisions I have ever made.

If informals are an option for you, consider it. You may have to deal with rejection, but if you don't feel at home in the org. it may be for the best.

I was a little older and didn't really feel at home in any of them during the process, so I didn't really have any bad reaction to it. If you felt otherwise, that is another issue entirely.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildoftheHorn View Post
If you are still interested in it.... You could talk to some of your friends who are affiliated with a sorority and ask them what they were really looking for. That could give you valuable insight for if you want to try again.
I strongly disagree with this.

I know that general answers like "great personality, outgoing, etc. etc." are harmless, but it leaves the door wide open for discussing membership selection -- and every sorority member knows not to talk about membership selection.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ChildoftheHorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I strongly disagree with this.

I know that general answers like "great personality, outgoing, etc. etc." are harmless, but it leaves the door wide open for discussing membership selection -- and every sorority member knows not to talk about membership selection.
I agree. I apologize if it came off that way. I was referring to asking her friends who are affiliated what area about her conversations could have been improved to show her personality better. Going into specifics is not good for either party, especially when it comes down to membership selection. Members should also not be allowed to do that, and doing so would most likely cause frustration for both parties.

Being shy is really hard and friends are a great place to start in helping with this. I used to be a shy person and that helped me a lot.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry that you felt shocked by the way the process ended. Please understand that most sororities can't/won't inform PNMs that they weren't selected via email or phone call during informal and that many sororities just assume that a PNM knows she wasn't selected if she hasn't heard anything by a few days after a preference party.

Please try again next semester. By then you'll have had time to make better connections with the sorority women and you might have a better shot. It might make you feel better to know too that during informal, spaces are often extremely limited. If a large number of women show up to COB events when there are only a few spaces available then lots of women will be disappointed. It sounds like the women in the chapter like you if they're coming up to you, hugging you, being friendly. I think you should try again.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity