GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,848
4 members and 1,844 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 07-24-2012, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State Fall 2012 Recruitment

Hi everyone, I'm planning on going through recruitment at Penn State this fall. I'm also going to a be a sophomore, so I know it will be a little bit harder. If anyone has any advice or stories from their recruitment experience at PSU, I'd love to hear it!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM

We have several Penn State sorority alums on here who should be along shortly. Good luck and have a great time!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
There are some PSU stories over in the "recruitment stories" thread, but lots of people don't identify their school by name, so I don't know of a good way to search for them, other than to look for recruitments with 19 (or is it 20 now?) chapters, where you can somehow rule out U of I and IU.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
There are some PSU stories over in the "recruitment stories" thread, but lots of people don't identify their school by name, so I don't know of a good way to search for them, other than to look for recruitments with 19 (or is it 20 now?) chapters, where you can somehow rule out U of I and IU.
As far as I know, it's 19. Although, prior to 2010, it was 20.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
As far as I know, it's 19. Although, prior to 2010, it was 20.
In any case, if it's a fall recruitment, that rules out IU, and at U of I, they have a bunch of random rounds in the Union with associate CPH members, so I think you can spot a PSU story by process of elimination.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and here's one:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...highlight=penn
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

PSU Greek Alumna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
We have several Penn State sorority alums on here who should be along shortly. Good luck and have a great time!
You must know me so well! You knew I'd be over here as soon as I saw "Penn State" in the title....lol!

OP, first let me say, "CONGRATS" on considering joining the Greek community at Penn State! I can honestly say that (1.) attending Penn State and (2.) going Greek while at Penn State have been some of the BEST choices I have ever made! All the Greek organizations at Penn State are great! I am still very involved with my sorority and even my chapter! Keep an open mind. I've seen lovely ladies drop recruitment because they didn't get their top choice but, please remember that at Penn State you have Greek Sing, Homecoming, Greek Week, and of course---THON! If you go Greek, you have the ability to earn money for your sorority and possibly dance in THON (if that's your thing). If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I wish you the best of luck!

No matter the letter---we are all Greek together!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_love View Post
Thank you for the advice! Even though I've heard so much, both good and not so good, about chapters over the past year, I'm definitely going in with an open mind. I truly regret not going through recruitment last fall, I just didn't know enough about Greek life at the time and I didn't think it was for me. Now, I feel the complete opposite way! I do have a question: is it going to be a big deal if I wasn't too involved freshmen year? I had a job that took up a LOT of my time.
Thankfully, it shouln't be bad that you had a job. Many chapters would find that to be good--as long as it doesn't get in the way of you being a member. You can always talk up your involvement at work, as well. If you have good grades---even better!!! Remember, Penn State (University Park) gets people who filter in from the branch campuses so, it isn't that bad coming in as a sophmore. It's not Indiana University competitive nor is it in the same field of competition as the SEC. You will learn quickly which chapters won't even give you a second look if you are not a freshman.

Have some knowledge about the chapters (like philanthropies). If community service/ philanthropy is a big deal to you--talk about it! Ask the ladies what they do for their philathropy to raise money. Many organizations on campus have had their conventions this summer (I can think of Delta Zeta and Phi Mu among others--I think Alpha Chi Omega) and you could ask what the ladies did with their summer to include anything sorority-related. I would stay away from certain topics that are controversial. This can include what is going on at the campus right now. Any more questions--please feel free to ask! I loved my time on campus. I will say this much about "tiers" that I think is very relevant. FOREGT THEM! It's funny to find out that certain fraternities, for example, that were TOP on campus when I was there are not as big a deal any more. It's also interesting to see some fraternities that are on campus now that were not such a big deal have gained much respect from the various sororities. Tiers change but, being a member of a great sisterhood never does!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_love View Post
I will definitely talk about my involvement at work-- I also have a 3.56 so I hope that works to my advantage. And I could not agree with you more about the tier system. Where a sorority "ranks" isn't going to have any effect on which sororities I end up liking. I've had friends go through the process and end up dropping just because "top" sororities cut them.

I see that you said some chapters don't give freshmen a chance. Is that common or is that only going to be a few? I'm worried that I'll get cut from a lot of great sororities just because I'm not a freshman.
Your GPA seems fine. Good for you for doing well in school enough to have a 3.5 going into recruitment. It's a breath of fresh air considering we get tons of PNMs on this site that have horrible GPAs. I had friends who dropped out of recruitment at PSU because of not getting the top chapters. They were "above" going to "lower-tier" chapters. Years out of college, MANY of them tell me how much they regret their choices to drop out of recruitment--especially when they see many of their other friends (like me) who are still very involved with their organizations. I love that when I go back to visit PSU, I have a place to go!

Not too many chapters drop you for not being a freshman but, I will say that what are perceived to be the "top tier" chapters are able to cut more PNMs because they are so desirable. For some of those chapters, it means cutting anyone who isn't a freshman. You sound like you will do fine!

I will tell you that when I went through recruitment (2004), the Greek advisor got up and spoke to all the PNMs. She said, "I haven't found my groom yet but, I found my bridesmaids." I honestly just rolled my eyes at the statement. Years down the road, I can say the same thing (though, I have my groom). When I got engaged (in front of the Nittany Lion statue), other than my mom, dad, and brother, my sorority sisters were some of the first people I called! Many of them will be in my wedding. It sounds cheesy but, it really is true. Keep an open mind and have fun with this! I'll be cheering you on!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Your GPA seems fine. Good for you for doing well in school enough to have a 3.5 going into recruitment. It's a breath of fresh air considering we get tons of PNMs on this site that have horrible GPAs. I had friends who dropped out of recruitment at PSU because of not getting the top chapters. They were "above" going to "lower-tier" chapters. Years out of college, MANY of them tell me how much they regret their choices to drop out of recruitment--especially when they see many of their other friends (like me) who are still very involved with their organizations. I love that when I go back to visit PSU, I have a place to go!

Not too many chapters drop you for not being a freshman but, I will say that what are perceived to be the "top tier" chapters are able to cut more PNMs because they are so desirable. For some of those chapters, it means cutting anyone who isn't a freshman. You sound like you will do fine!

I will tell you that when I went through recruitment (2004), the Greek advisor got up and spoke to all the PNMs. She said, "I haven't found my groom yet but, I found my bridesmaids." I honestly just rolled my eyes at the statement. Years down the road, I can say the same thing (though, I have my groom). When I got engaged (in front of the Nittany Lion statue), other than my mom, dad, and brother, my sorority sisters were some of the first people I called! Many of them will be in my wedding. It sounds cheesy but, it really is true. Keep an open mind and have fun with this! I'll be cheering you on!
Thank you so much the great advice! The fact that you got engaged in front of the lion shrine is absolutely adorable! If I have any more questions in the coming weeks, I'll be sure to ask you!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wooooo!!!! A Penn Stater going through recruitment!!!
Good luck!

Keep an open mind and you will end up where you are supposed to be!

Keep us updated!