GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,162
1 members and 2,161 guests
Overthinker

Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a note from a mom to say my daughter participated in recruitment, had a great time, and met many new friends. As an OOS freshman, it was exactly what she was looking for. I had rushed (in my day) at a large Southern university with a competitive Greek system (and am a proud Theta alum), but I knew the process at Alabama would be bigger and more competitive in every way. I worked to temper her expectations and urged her to keep a very open mind and give every house a good look. She took a pretty hard cut after first round -- many girls seemed to -- but had plenty of good options. She was thrilled to receive a bid from a house she had identified the first day as a great fit. I am pleased for her and hope that her experience remains as positive.
I've been lurking here the past 10 days or so and have greatly appreciated the great information from many of the posters.
Cheers!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
wyb, congrats to your daughter! Care to share where she went?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhfulmer View Post
She had at least a 3.0 which is what all but one group lists in [I]Greek Chic[I] Maybe DG will work out for some of them.I]
Nhfulmer, the tent talk I heard was most first round cuts were lack of a rec or GPA. No way to know if it is true.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerflyer View Post
Nhfulmer, the tent talk I heard was most first round cuts were lack of a rec or GPA. No way to know if it is true.
It wouldn't have been lack of recs - those were all covered. I'm assuming it was GPA since she is cute as a button and personality plus. I've knows quite a few girls who pledged at Bama with not much above a 3.0. If the requirement has gone up, I really think they need to be honest about it. I know I will not be telling the Charlotte girls any longer that a 3.0 is the requirement - I try to be as honest as possible about what they should expect. Thanks for all the feedback. RTR
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Attended the Bid Day festivities this year!
It was over 102 degrees outside!

My D is a member of Delta Zeta and they took over 100 pledges!
That is a huge pledge class and much work for the Pledge Chairman who according to my D is the best!

We also had a friend who was released early. I feel bad because we encouraged her to rush. Going in we were up front about her GPA but did not expect her to be totally cut after 2 nd round. According to her some girls were cut 1st round.

I know several girls in different houses and they said the house were very firm on GPA this year no wiggle room.

I just wish the Greek Life office would have had something for the girls to do that did get cut. Our new freshman girl who lives far away was basically alone for 3 days, While somewhere on campus there were 300 other girls in the same boat.

And I will make this suggestion to Greek Life but Gentry resigned this morning according to The school Newspaper. He is taking a new position at a school in FLA!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thought this was interesting:

Tri Sigma is listed as a like on the Bama Panhellenic Facebook page ...
Old 08-23-2011, 12:26 PM

^^^Who wouldn't "like" us? We're pretty awesome, just saying.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
Thought this was interesting:

Tri Sigma is listed as a like on the Bama Panhellenic Facebook page ...
I wouldn't read into that. Greek groups "like" each other on facebook all the time.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumom View Post
I just wish the Greek Life office would have had something for the girls to do that did get cut. Our new freshman girl who lives far away was basically alone for 3 days, While somewhere on campus there were 300 other girls in the same boat.
If the school doesn't step up, you would think there would be a restaurant/bowling alley/other super happy fun time place off campus that would take advantage of what is basically a captive audience.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I wouldn't read into that. Greek groups "like" each other on facebook all the time.
^^^Also: Kat Gillan, Assistant Dir. of GL at Bama is a Sigma (Alpha Zeta chapter.) So it would be no surprise that Bama Panhellenic "likes" us on FB.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-23-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumom View Post

The only thing with this: Do you think it would help or hurt them to have an event put together for them (which kind of calls attention to the fact that they were cut.) I'd hate for it to turn into "we're supposed to be bowling but instead we're all sitting around being sad because we're not Greek."

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If the school doesn't step up, you would think there would be a restaurant/bowling alley/other super happy fun time place off campus that would take advantage of what is basically a captive audience.
It's a good time for other activities on campus to have events. I wonder if they've even thought about that...
Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Late reply -- but my daughter pledged Gamma Phi. She loves it and is having a blast. So glad this site and this thread are positive places.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
Late reply -- but my daughter pledged Gamma Phi. She loves it and is having a blast. So glad this site and this thread are positive places.

Hooray for a new Gamma Phi!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

My PNM who was released during rush is now a very, very happy Delta Gamma pledge with 223 new sisters. I know of two other DG pledges who did not have a happy experience during formal rush. Welcome home, Delta Gamma.