GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,164
2 members and 1,162 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 03-23-2008, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Very creepy.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

He has an open facebook profile.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Still creepy.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Wow, I think their disdain for greek life sticks out like a sore thumb and I have yet to hear someone affiliated with a fraternity or sorority here disagree.

Their coverage of Tyler Cross' death pissed me off especially.
I think you and breathesgelatin are both right.

The DT still has an anti-Greek bent, but the paper is far more conservative than it used it be- and it is a very recent shift.

Back in my time, the Daily Texan got photos of fraternity guys in black-face at parties for 2 different chapters by sneaking into closed parties- basically breaking a key Risk Management rule- something they would be all over anyone Greek for doing.

I am surprised they were not sued for it- but it was not unusual for staffers to trespass or break other laws to drum up juicy stories on Greeks. And there was even a time when they would hang out at the police station and look for guys showing up to pick someone up wearing Greek letters. No joke- and then when they did their campus arrest reports the Greek affiliation was reported.

As for the reporting on Tyler Cross- I agree it was disgraceful but I would attribute it more to the general tone of media reporting in general today. The news is now a profit-driven industry, and the students who write articles like this for the Daily Texan are just getting their basic training for how they will behave as professionals- which is what really scares me.

But in reading the articles on Tyler I did not see quite the same level of politically-driven outrage and pontification that such stories received in the past.

Long story short- The DT coverage of Tyler Cross is typical of what one should expect from the media these days (and I use the term "these days" advisedly because I think things really have changed that much).

However the DT coverage of such incidents years ago was far sloppier, far more insulting and- at times- defamatory.

Still- the DT does occasionally reveal that old liberal bias. A few months ago there was a page 1 article about a protest and national petition against a "Cholo" party that was allegedly going to take place. Basically someone heard the party was going to happen, but did not know where. And of course there was no such party. Yet the fact it "might well could have happened" seemed to be worth a front page story.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The bigger story I remember hearing is that they covered someone who had gone around and posted "FIJI rules" up all over campus, which said things like 'No Mexicans.' But as far as I know they weren't actually FIJIs, and DT just assumed they were.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsandtoes View Post
This guy (aka UTLonghorn2012) needs to stop obsessing over UT. Senior spring is supposed to be fun.
Why are you being a douche and putting his picture on blast like that? (UTL2012, you can delete the pic out of your copy of his post and then ask a supermod to take it out of his post if he isn't decent enough to delete it himself)
Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, the pic itself doesn't embarass me at all, just that someone would go to the trouble of figuring out who I am, looking up my profile, and then posting pics.

That's what you get with internet technology though.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTLonghorn2012 View Post
Thanks, the pic itself doesn't embarass me at all, just that someone would go to the trouble of figuring out who I am, looking up my profile, and then posting pics.

That's what you get with internet technology though.
And people with too much time on their hands.

Good for you, UTL, you'll do great in college. (and my brothers played rugby, so you get extra cool points)

Last edited by nittanyalum; 03-23-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
(and my brothers played rugby, so you get extra cool points)
I dated a UT rugby player for a while my first year of grad school. Heh.

EE-BO basically said what I was trying to say in a far more diplomatic way. I definitely can't speak to the earlier period at all. I just think a lot of the stuff the Texan has published lately is just "sensational" and not necessarily targeting Greeks specifically.

But yeah, the conservative turn has been obvious to me at least - even since fall 2005 there's been a shift to the right.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
I think you and breathesgelatin are both right.

The DT still has an anti-Greek bent, but the paper is far more conservative than it used it be- and it is a very recent shift.

Back in my time, the Daily Texan got photos of fraternity guys in black-face at parties for 2 different chapters by sneaking into closed parties- basically breaking a key Risk Management rule- something they would be all over anyone Greek for doing.

I am surprised they were not sued for it- but it was not unusual for staffers to trespass or break other laws to drum up juicy stories on Greeks. And there was even a time when they would hang out at the police station and look for guys showing up to pick someone up wearing Greek letters. No joke- and then when they did their campus arrest reports the Greek affiliation was reported.

As for the reporting on Tyler Cross- I agree it was disgraceful but I would attribute it more to the general tone of media reporting in general today. The news is now a profit-driven industry, and the students who write articles like this for the Daily Texan are just getting their basic training for how they will behave as professionals- which is what really scares me.

But in reading the articles on Tyler I did not see quite the same level of politically-driven outrage and pontification that such stories received in the past.

Long story short- The DT coverage of Tyler Cross is typical of what one should expect from the media these days (and I use the term "these days" advisedly because I think things really have changed that much).

However the DT coverage of such incidents years ago was far sloppier, far more insulting and- at times- defamatory.

Still- the DT does occasionally reveal that old liberal bias. A few months ago there was a page 1 article about a protest and national petition against a "Cholo" party that was allegedly going to take place. Basically someone heard the party was going to happen, but did not know where. And of course there was no such party. Yet the fact it "might well could have happened" seemed to be worth a front page story.
I have heard similar stories about how they used to be.

The coverage of Tyler was just completely over the line and so incredibly disrespectful........especially to his poor family, who are extremely good people. They didn't deserve it at all. I do agree though, that's the way the media is these days....all of them, not just the DT.

UTL2012, I remember the pledge rules surfacing.......the list was actually pretty funny to read. Didn't sound like anything that group of guys would do........but funny nonetheless.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
I have heard similar stories about how they used to be.

The coverage of Tyler was just completely over the line and so incredibly disrespectful........especially to his poor family, who are extremely good people. They didn't deserve it at all. I do agree though, that's the way the media is these days....all of them, not just the DT.
It is a damn shame the Cross family has had to deal with all that media coverage. At the end of the day this was a sad tragedy that had no business in the news. The general public was not benefitted at all by hearing about it. But unfortunately there are lots of dull and ignorant people out there who need someone else's tragedy to fill their minds.

In terms of how the Daily Texan used to be, I sometimes wish I had saved copies. The editorial section was especially insane.

But I do have recollections of two editorial sections in particular. One was a rebuttal to a previous article about public displays of affection between homosexuals. In the letter a very angry and militant person went on and on about how every time she saw a wedding ring she felt offended and oppressed and it just went downhill from there. It was the writing of a true mental case.

Another time the DT did a profile on Mother Teresa and the editorial the next day railed against her and accused her of being part of an international child molestation conspiracy etc. etc. I will be the first person to state that I do believe the Catholic Church has long condoned child molestation by virtue of a failure to act on it, but to lay all that on Mother Teresa and say she was inherently evil?

I dunno. I wish I had the articles to type up and post since I cannot even begin to describe the sheer lunacy and conjecture involved.

Simply put, there was a time when that paper was in the hands of lunatic liberals who had absolutely no ability or desire to support their ridiculous articles with facts or rational logic. Conservatives have our loonies too- like pro-lifers who kill abortion doctors- but the fact is that for a long time the DT was more of a place for fringe element lefties to spout their hateful rhetoric than it was a serious publication addressing legitimate issues for students.

But I never really cared about that. The sports page and the crossword have never changed- and that is all the value I ever got out of that publication.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
It is a damn shame the Cross family has had to deal with all that media coverage. At the end of the day this was a sad tragedy that had no business in the news. The general public was not benefitted at all by hearing about it. But unfortunately there are lots of dull and ignorant people out there who need someone else's tragedy to fill their minds.

In terms of how the Daily Texan used to be, I sometimes wish I had saved copies. The editorial section was especially insane.

But I do have recollections of two editorial sections in particular. One was a rebuttal to a previous article about public displays of affection between homosexuals. In the letter a very angry and militant person went on and on about how every time she saw a wedding ring she felt offended and oppressed and it just went downhill from there. It was the writing of a true mental case.

Another time the DT did a profile on Mother Teresa and the editorial the next day railed against her and accused her of being part of an international child molestation conspiracy etc. etc. I will be the first person to state that I do believe the Catholic Church has long condoned child molestation by virtue of a failure to act on it, but to lay all that on Mother Teresa and say she was inherently evil?

I dunno. I wish I had the articles to type up and post since I cannot even begin to describe the sheer lunacy and conjecture involved.

Simply put, there was a time when that paper was in the hands of lunatic liberals who had absolutely no ability or desire to support their ridiculous articles with facts or rational logic. Conservatives have our loonies too- like pro-lifers who kill abortion doctors- but the fact is that for a long time the DT was more of a place for fringe element lefties to spout their hateful rhetoric than it was a serious publication addressing legitimate issues for students.

But I never really cared about that. The sports page and the crossword have never changed- and that is all the value I ever got out of that publication.
Ditto.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Why are you being a douche and putting his picture on blast like that?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^Um, clever?

It's not that serious here, that's why it was such a douchey move.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^Um, clever?

It's not that serious here, that's why it was such a douchey move.
Seems as if other people agreed as photo seems to be gone.
Thanks to whomever.