GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,178
0 members and 2,178 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapechi View Post
Hi, we're looking to start a new sorority on our school. The reason we are starting a new one, is because the existing 3 sororities have seemed to loose their ideals over the years and now have become a "we do this just for parties and boys" kinda people. We want to bring the power back to the sororities on our campus, since fraternities are the only ones actually getting notice in a possitive way. We will be starting a service/social sorority, and we have already been aproved by the greek life council. We have almost everything ready, but we wish to do this the right way and be as traditional as possible. We already have a purpose, but we wonder if we need a mission and vision statement as well.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Chapechi.
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=93174
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I knew it! ^^^^ Told ya so.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapechi View Post
The reason we are starting a new one, is because the existing 3 sororities have seemed to loose their ideals over the years
Does anyone else think "the sororities are losing their ideals" = "they didn't give me and my friends a bid"?

I'm not trying to be mean or bitchy, it just seems that's the way it usually rolls.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Does anyone else think "the sororities are losing their ideals" = "they didn't give me and my friends a bid"?

I'm not trying to be mean or bitchy, it just seems that's the way it usually rolls.
Agree. For some reason I didn't pay too much attention to her posts because it was yet another "I want to start a new sorority" thread.

I just don't get how outsiders/non-members would even know how a group (let alone three) would lose their ideals over the years.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Agree. For some reason I didn't pay too much attention to her posts because it was yet another "I want to start a new sorority" thread.

I just don't get how outsiders/non-members would even know how a group (let alone three) would lose their ideals over the years.
I really should have quoted 33 too, but I goofed.

I'm not that interesting in people forming new groups, but I can see how looking from the outside in at many campuses, some GLOs don't seem to be able the same things that are, say, listed in the history section of their webpage.

Now, I'm not saying that the groups aren't really living their values because that's not what's on display during Greek Week or whatever. But if you looked only at the surface with a critical eye, I can see why some people come away with "this campus needs a genuine sisterhood about the spiritually uplifting aspects of service and scholarship" or whatever it is that the outsiders think the groups ideals are.

It probably points to a PR problem for some of established groups as well as "they didn't give us bids" or "we were too scared to go through recruitment" or "I always have to be in charge."
Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 PM

If you're rushing this year, I highly recommend reading this particular recruitment story:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=97700

Not only is it a great read, but it contains alot of great lessons about recruitment including how important it is to be open-minded during the process, among other things.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

if you join a facebook group pertaining to recruitment on your campus, DO NOT put up an unflattering photo, or a racy photo and DO NOT use profanity-even if its just hinted at-in your name. honest to goodness, i saw a name that had "effin" in the middle, as in "anna "effin" smith". not a good idea.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I am about to go through rush in about a week! I'm very nervous, because i have been hearing a lot of "horror" stories about cute, fun, well dressesd, nice girls recieving no bids at all ahhh! I was wondering how do they let girls know they revieved zero bids? Do the girls open an empty envelope?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala9825 View Post
I am about to go through rush in about a week! I'm very nervous, because i have been hearing a lot of "horror" stories about cute, fun, well dressesd, nice girls recieving no bids at all ahhh! I was wondering how do they let girls know they revieved zero bids? Do the girls open an empty envelope?
At my school, you were called beforehand if you did not receive a bid, so that you wouldn't be upset while everyone else around you was happy.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
At my school, you were called beforehand if you did not receive a bid, so that you wouldn't be upset while everyone else around you was happy.
oh...but this rarely happens, right?

I thought that if you were invited to pref night you're already guaranteed a bid from some house?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcheek View Post

I thought that if you were invited to pref night you're already guaranteed a bid from some house?

No one in recruitment is guaranteed a bid.

It is a good sign if you attend pref, meaning you are generally on the bid list of the chapters you attend, BUT being on the list doesn't = a bid (it's where you ARE on the list that determines that).

But no, pref invites do not mean you're guaranteed a bid.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-28-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
No one in recruitment is guaranteed a bid.

It is a good sign if you attend pref, meaning you are generally on the bid list of the chapters you attend, BUT being on the list doesn't = a bid (it's where you ARE on the list that determines that).

But no, pref invites do not mean you're guaranteed a bid.

this makes me so much more nervous now!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
if you join a facebook group pertaining to recruitment on your campus, DO NOT put up an unflattering photo, or a racy photo and DO NOT use profanity-even if its just hinted at-in your name. honest to goodness, i saw a name that had "effin" in the middle, as in "anna "effin" smith". not a good idea.
actually im the exact opposite...I think my facebook profile is "too nice". I grew up in a conservative family and so I don't drink or go partying. I'm afraid they'll look at my profile and see someone boring, or a "goody two-shoes"
and that can impact me negatively..
Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a girl on a current recruitment facebook that has "smartass" as her middle name, and another of a girl in racy lingere in a provocative pose.

These do not make a great first impression, gals!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcheek View Post

Some campus Panhellenics do have a policy that:

IF a PNM maximizes her options throughout recruitment and
IF she has one or more chapters to attend for preference and
IF she ranks ALL of her preference party chapters

THEN she is guaranteed a bid to one of her preference party chapters.

Not all campus Panhellenics do this. Ask your Rho Gamma/Rho Chi/Pi Chi/whatever and she will be able to tell you if your school has this policy.