GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,013
2 members and 1,011 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 07-27-2005, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Question should i try to start a local?

Hi everyone! I'm new to GreekChat (at least in the respect of that i'm registered now lol)...

Here's my story/question:
I was involved with a national sorority. Less than 2 days before my pledge class's "getting in" i depledged after (during?) a "traditional" event that basically broke everything in the school's (and national's) anti-hazing policy. I decided that I did not want anything to do with a GLO that condoned this kind of behavior. Because of depledging so late in the pledge program I was harassed and made to feel unsafe and unwelcome doing anything on campus (even by the girls that had been my pledge sisters and friends). And no, I never reported them out of fear of the sisters...so it was that i depledged, not that i got them in trouble with the school/local authorities. It got to the point where I decided to change schools at the end of the semester (for other reasons too, but the sisters and brother orgs' nastiness was right up there)...

So begins my question:
I am starting at my new school in the fall. I still have the desire to be part of a sorority and experience the feeling of sisterhood that I had with my nat'l...but i NEVER want to go through the hell of what I (or my former pledge sisters) went through again, nor do I want any other girls that are simply looking for a place to belong to go through.
Thus, I want to form a new (local--and most likely unhoused) sorority. I'm going to new university not knowing anyone, how do i start getting the word out about forming a new sorority? I really don't know where to start...if anyone can help, please respond.

Sorry for going on so long with the background...it's something that still burns my butt but its the major reason of me wanting to do what i'm thinking about doing.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Why don't you try the sorority in your school first? If you still don't like any of them, at least you made friends from Rush.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

ditto. check out the groups on your new campus. i can assure you, if your former sorority's national office knew how they were behaving they would be appalled and severe sanctions, if not disolution of the chapter would happen. the majority of the sororities abide by the rules. give the others(and that would include other chapters of your former sorority) a chance.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM

Yes, please try out the nationals at your new school first. You might not make a very good impression if you come in as the transfer student trying to start a new group before you even check out what's already there.

Since you have switched schools, your pledge to the old group is broken per NPC rules, so you can sign a bid and begin pledging immediately - you do not have to wait.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:04 AM
ADPiZXalum

Ditto what has been said so far.....why try to reinvent the wheel? Chapters and greek life in general differ SO Much from school to school. Even school that are just 30 miles away from each other. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

check your pms