GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,554
0 members and 1,554 guests
No Members online

Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Reality TV "Greeks who shouldn't be considered"

After discussing famous Greeks on Reality Tv in another forum, OTW made a very good point. She was upset that I was considering some Reality Tv people "Famous Greeks" when there are many other important people out there who do great things for their GLO. I didn't realize what a sensitive subject it was until I was told that not only do Reality Tv personalities tend to be seen as "Famous Greeks" when they really didn't contribute much to helping their GLO look good or at least in a positive light and that some people are considered "Famous Greeks" in certain GLOs that they may have not been members of.

For instance, I mentioned some people who had disaffiliated or were not in good standing with their GLO before appearing on television (only because that's what I found on-line) and realized that many people who do a lot for their Org. get offended by hearing this.

I wanted to know:
Do you have anyone in your GLO that is seen as a "Famous Greek" because they appeared on Reality Tv and either they DA, were in bad standing or clearly didn't make your GLO look very good on Tv?

Maybe you have had some people say that someone (famous) is a member of YOUR GLO or another GLO that maybe never went to college or never went Greek?

Maybe you have someone who you consider to be a "Famous Greek" that doesn't get that much attention for their membership in your GLO and you recognize their committment. A good example is one of my friends who disaffiliated from Gamma Phi (financial reasons) once told me that Sandra Bullock is a member of Gamma Phi Beta. If that's true-I think that's really interesting because she is not only a great actress but, she continuously gives great deals of money to charities like when she donated $1 million dollars toward Hurricane Katrina victims. Maybe some Gamma Phis can clear this up for me-Is she?

Either way, please share because I think there are probably people that were members of your GLO at one time who you may be sick and tired of hearing they are "Famous Greeks" when they truly are not.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Alas, no, Sandra Bullock is not a Gamma Phi - and neither is Reese Witherspoon or Betty Crocker.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Really? Was Sandra once a Gamma Phi because I know she left college three credits short of graduation (or something like that)....

I honestly never heard the Reese Witherspoon one. And it's funny you bring up the Betty Crocker one because in another post-someone made reference to people claiming Betty Crocker but, I'm not sure I have even seen those references either...

I think it's neat that Ann Bowden (wife of FSU football coach Bobby Bowden) is a Phi Mu but, you don't see that on the Nationals website. I think that is weird because although she does not coach the team herself-many people refer to her as the "First Lady" of Football (along with Sue Paterno) because her husband is the FSU coach and all three of her sons are/ were coaches for other big teams such as Auburn and LSU (I think). So, that's one person that should get more recognition from our Nationals. I've also heard that Ellen Degeneres' mom is a Phi Mu....If someone has a very FAMOUS child or spouse-do you think they should be considered in the mix??? After all, the famous child came from their gene pool (lol)....
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Once a Gamma Phi, Always a Gamma Phi. Whether or not she finished college, Sandra would be a Gamma Phi unless she resigned. To the best of my knowledge, she has never been affiliated with us.
As far as family members go, it is interesting to know, but I don't think you should be listed as an acomplished alumna just because of who you married or gave birth to!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Once a Gamma Phi, Always a Gamma Phi. Whether or not she finished college, Sandra would be a Gamma Phi unless she resigned. To the best of my knowledge, she has never been affiliated with us.
As far as family members go, it is interesting to know, but I don't think you should be listed as an acomplished alumna just because of who you married or gave birth to!
Good point-didn't really think about it that way...I'm just saying-I've seen people say..."So-and-So is an XYZ...and she is the sister of Such-and-Such Famous person" and so on.....so, I viewed it that way...but, it's neat to see how some people with bad behavior are getting recognized while others who do great things for their GLOs don't always get recognized as much.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Do you have anyone in your GLO that is seen as a "Famous Greek" because they appeared on Reality Tv and either they DA, were in bad standing or clearly didn't make your GLO look very good on Tv?
No.

We also tend not to call it "Famous Deltas" but rather something like "Notable Deltas." This means that these women are trailblazers and notable even if the mainstream media doesn't know who they are.

I don't recall seeing any Deltas on reality tv or ever seeing a reality tv star on the "Notable Deltas" list. You have to come a lot stronger than just 15 minutes of fame that has no lasting societal influence and public service.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
but, it's neat to see how some people with bad behavior are getting recognized while others who do great things for their GLOs don't always get recognized as much.
Recognized by national headquarters' listings or just delusioned undergraduate chapters' listings? There's a difference, since not every chapter attempts to use the nhq "famous" members guideline for their chapter listing.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Alas, no, Sandra Bullock is not a Gamma Phi - and neither is Reese Witherspoon or Betty Crocker.

OK I almost choked when I read "Betty Crocker." Betty Crocker is a made up character. So she's not a Gamma Phi, or a member of any of the other wonderful GLOs out there. *lmao* Just to prove it here's some info from wiki. (I know it's not the best source, but I'm too lazy to look for any others right now. )

From wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Crocker

In 1921, the idea of Betty Crocker hatched as a Washburn-Crosby Company advertising tool.

Betty as a common woman's name Crocker for the late secretary and director of the Washburn Crosby Company, William G. Crocker

The company first used her name to sign replies to various personal requests for household advice which they received from customers by mail.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

pssst.....summer....I included Betty Crocker as a joke!

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 03-06-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Recognized by national headquarters' listings or just delusioned undergraduate chapters' listings? There's a difference, since not every chapter attempts to use the nhq "famous" members guideline for their chapter listing.
No, you are right on that one...Sometimes, what Nationals (or Internationals for certain groups) may not find suitable to call a "Famous Member" other Undergraduates are proud to consider. It's like the post in another forum about Paris Hilton possibly going Greek-which was later noted that it was just a show about her living in a house with a bunch of girls and she was not going Greek...Someone stated that some girls would probably be proud to call her a sister while others would hang their heads in shame.

Let me just note-I also looked at the DST website and found it to be very easy to navigate. I noticed it talked about leadership conferences, suspension/expulsion by region, etc. I didn't see anything about Famous Greeks (but, maybe I was looking in the right place)...The point is-I'm not going to assume someone is "famous" because I found it on another site if it's not on the Nationals website.... the way I once had...
Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I figured that, but there are a LOT of people who think she's real. It cracks me up to no end. And would it really shock you to see her listed as a Gamma Phi? *lmao* I can totally see it.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't forget Nancy Drew! Isn't she a Gamma Phi?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't see anything about Famous Greeks (but, maybe I was looking in the right place)
The National website has a Notable Deltas list that is easy to find.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh-I didn't realize it was under "History"...I was looking for it's own tab. That's where I screwed up. That's a long list. Now, I know not to use Wikipedia as the "end all" so, that's why I wanted to ask a DST...On Wiki it says that Sheryl Lee Ralph was inducted into DST as an "honorary member" in 2004.

I noticed it wasn't on the national website. I was wondering if that information was either incorrect or maybe because she was inducted as an "honorary member" they don't necessarily consider her a Notable Delt. Another question is: If she was inducted as an "honorary member" then would her daughters be seen as Legacies? Forgive me if I am unsure about this because I don't know very much about NPHC-but, I think it's great to learn new things about it. On FOL they said she was now also a Motivational Speaker. I think that's really commendable if she is.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 AM

We've had people say Pamela Anderson & Nancy Reagan are ASAs. Well, there is A Pamela Anderson & A Nancy Reagan who were members - they're in our directory - but if you compare dates and such, it's pretty obvious that it's not the famous ones. I think this is what happens 90% of the time when you hear someone famous is a member and they're not - people get excited and don't bother to look at it rationally.

As far as reality TV goes, I think it's getting to the point where there are SO many reality shows, it's not even fame, it's just...exposure. They're not really achieving or accomplishing much of anything, they just are.