GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,162
3 members and 1,159 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 01-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Induction Cooking

Does anyone have any thoughts about inductions burners? What type of pots & pants are required? Have about the ovens?

It seems that no decent apartment available to rent in the Chicago area has an electric stove, and I'm thinking of the possibilities.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I have an induction stove top and I really like it. I did get new pots. Ones that stated that they were for use on an induction stove.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

My wife is salivating for an induction range. She takes student tours to Europe and says the Europeans have been using induction for YEARS. Any pan that attracts a magnet works. Our neighbor let us play with her Kitchen Aid too—water boiled in a cup in ONE minute! And the container is hot, the burner is cool. In fact, she cooked an egg then put a paper towel on the burner—nothing.

I know one is in our future; my wife has various models bookmarked on all our electronics!
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

My condo in Ft Lauderdale has a induction stove. I love it. Wikipedia explains a lot.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:29 PM

Funny you should ask this. I'm wondering about this same thing. I'm in contract to buy a condo, and the kitchen has an induction stove.

Sadly, my favorite pot is aluminum, but I plan on keeping it, as it is oven-safe and sturdy. As for my other pots and pans, some of them are ferromagnetic, so I'm keeping those and donating the rest.

I do like the fact that induction stoves remain cool to the touch. I've taught my cat that the kitchen counter is a no-no, but it's good to know he won't burn his paws if he does get onto the stove. (Same applies with small children. I don't have any children, but it must be reassuring for parents to know that the little one won't burn his/her hand on the stove.)

I am wondering about adapting recipes to the induction stove. Some of my favorites involve stir-frying and shallow-frying (also deep-frying, but I don't do much of that for health reasons). I suppose I will have to learn by trial and error.

Last edited by aephi alum; 01-28-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, never heard of this, but watched a couple of videos! I have the red copper pan sets and what this thing shows is amazing. Super interesting 4 sure!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I had an induction cooktop a few years ago. I liked it well enough but if I had to choose I'd get gas. Granted I've never been much of a cooker but I could never get the heat where I really wanted it.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I had an induction cooktop in my old house. I did like it, it was a step up from the old electric burners I had. When we moved our new house had a gas range, which frankly I prefer over electric and induction. To me I always felt like I had better temperature control.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Put in an induction range last year -- had cooked on gas most of my adult life, but this house (we bought it 5 years ago) doesn't have gas service. I had aluminum cookware so I had replace those -- went with stainless (splurged on All Clad). I love the cook top -- once i got the hang of it, I find that I can control the heat just as well as on gas. There is a learning curve. One of the best things is how much cooler it is to cook on -- no excess heat like that from gas burners. I do have a Le Creuest dutch oven that works, but it doesn't heat as uniformly as the stainless. From what I understand, cast iron cookware might not work that well with induction because it is someone porous, so the heat is not conducted thru the pan uniformly. The oven is can be either regular or convection - it's a GE Profile model.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

We got an induction stovetop a few years ago, after a kitchen fire, and it's really nice. It can be a little annoying to have to turn it back on anytime you want to switch out the pans, but I think the safety feature, while mildly irritating, is a good one. We bought a few new pots and pans (stainless steel ones), but for the most part, we continue to use our old pans. We've lived in houses with gas and electric stovetops, but I have found the induction one to be the most effective. Last thing to keep in mind is that these heat up really quickly, so if you are trying to melt butter, you have to watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't burn.