GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,123
4 members and 2,119 guests
John

Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
A bride who may be on a lower budget will look at a higher budget bride and be all "OMG how WASTEFUL! I could NEVER spend that much on a wedding."

Like, wtf? Everyone has their own personal idea of what is affordable for them
I hate this too! If a bride wants to spend $80,000 on a wedding, that's her own business.

What bugs me about this is that in my personal experience, I have found that brides who voice their opinion about "wasteful" expensive weddings suffer from a bit of budget envy (their other words and actions caused me to come to those conclusions). I've known other brides who have had small budgets who didn't feel the need to tear down brides with big budgets. Similarly, what if a bride with a big budget said "OMG I could never have a wedding with that small of a budget"? She would sound like a huge, stuck bitch. So I'm not sure why brides think it's okay to do the same just because they are in the opposite position. It's just rude.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It has also been my experience (doing planning assistant stuff with a company) that the LOWER the budget, the more annoying and demanding the client will be. There's almost a set number that when I see it, I just know that this person is going to be ridiculous and I have never been wrong.

It's interesting because it's always perpetuated that big budget = big bitchy entitled bride, and that's so not true.
That's been my experience with work too and not just weddings...my clients who are Masters of the Universe trust us as professionals and won't butt in unless they're really concerned about a specific item (usually finishing the project by a specific deadline). It's the people with smaller budgets who micromanage and try to squeeze additional services out of us. I guess it's the same with weddings--they can't afford to be laid-back? But please, let the professionals do their work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88
What bugs me about this is that in my personal experience, I have found that brides who voice their opinion about "wasteful" expensive weddings suffer from a bit of budget envy (their other words and actions caused me to come to those conclusions).
I feel that weddings, like luxury cars and college educations, are one aspect of life where people feel completely entitled to publicly hate on someone who's spending more than you are. I suspect that the people who complain the most are the people who would secretly LOVE the $80K wedding.

My wedding random? I'm so glad my friends are low-maintenance; if THEY want to spend a lot of money on their weddings, great! Most of my friends have had reasonable travel requirements and haven't had a zillion bachelorette parties or showers. When I was a groomsmaid, they were so chillaxed. I love my friends.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a bridesmaid in a my high school best friend's wedding next month. I'm pretty sure her family is going to be the end to everyone. Her two sisters cannot agree on anything to the point where one sibling will change her opinion if the other sister has the same opinion. We had to get new dresses today (thanks to a sister growing out of hers and the groomsmen's outfits changing) and it was the longest three hours of my life. I'm pretty sure it was something out of SYTTD: Bridesmaids.
I feel like if you are a bridesmaid one of your duties (basically) is to shut up and do what the bride wants unless it breaks your moral code or if she asks for your opinion. Put on the dress and shut up.
Is this an insane idea?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I feel like if you are a bridesmaid one of your duties (basically) is to shut up and do what the bride wants unless it breaks your moral code or if she asks for your opinion. Put on the dress and shut up.
Is this an insane idea?
I agree with you. I have not yet been a bridesmaid yet (I'm the first cousin on both sides to get married and one of the first of my friends), but if I am asked, I will keep my mouth shut unless my opinion is specifically asked for.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm a bridesmaid in a my high school best friend's wedding next month. I'm pretty sure her family is going to be the end to everyone. Her two sisters cannot agree on anything to the point where one sibling will change her opinion if the other sister has the same opinion. We had to get new dresses today (thanks to a sister growing out of hers and the groomsmen's outfits changing) and it was the longest three hours of my life. I'm pretty sure it was something out of SYTTD: Bridesmaids.
Is this an insane idea?
That poor bride. Thank goodness she has you.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Last night, the topic of wedding travel came up while I was talking with an acquaintance. Her feeling was that the travel TO the wedding is a gift in and of itself which made me right then and there.

Is this something that other people think? My gift is usually based on my closeness to the couple but to eschew a gift because I'm traveling sounds crazay!

In other wedding news, my cousin still hasn't sent out official save-the-dates, just a save-the-date text which I lost when I got my new phone. In the meantime, people who are getting married a year out sent PDFs of their Save-the-Date just to let us know that they'd like us to come and giving us extra time to plan. Would I be a jerk if I didn't go to my cousin's wedding because they're not acting right, but flying cross-country to my friends' wedding?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my...
Those of you who read/follow current wedding blogs/sites/etc., have probably already seen this. But I just read it, and I had to share. There are no words...

Reasons Why You Cannot Be a Bridesmaid
Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I read that this morning; I don't understand these demanding brides at all. Meanwhile, a friend from college announced that she was having all of her bridesmaids sign a contract. What a peach.

eta: still loving this site- http://www.bitchlessbride.com/
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Oh my...
Those of you who read/follow current wedding blogs/sites/etc., have probably already seen this. But I just read it, and I had to share. There are no words...

If I received that email, I wouldn't have to wait until Wednesday to respond. I would tell her that not only would I not be standing up in her wedding but she doesn't need to bother sending me an invitation.

I'd love to know how many of her "friends" agreed to that.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM

A very good friend of mine is in her brother's wedding soon.

A recent email from the bride (her future SIL) denoted that maids will be lined up "skinny to fat."

Yes, really.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is this an insane idea?
Exactly.

I've been a bridesmaid a few times, and I was never given any options about a dress. I was told, "This is it.. get it soon." The end. And I did. I'm always shocked when I watch SYTTD and these bridesmaids are pouting and/or demanding that they get what they want.

I've had my picture taken a bajillion times in 95 degree weather (half of them outside, half of them in a church that wasn't air-conditioned), helped make centerpieces, cupcake towers, bouquets, etc., and I've been the lift-the-bride's-dress-in-the-bathroom bridesmaid. I've done it all. I've never complained. It comes with the territory. It's the bride's day. And as long as she's a good friend and she isn't a crazy bridezilla, then I'll do what she needs me to do.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-04-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

The bridal shower was relatively quiet possibly because the three women who are problems weren't there. The bachelorette party is Saturday. Luckily neither sister is old enough for the bars so I'm hoping it will actually be pretty drama free. The wedding is in a couple weeks and it keeps looking like a s^*# show. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I have planned enough events and been to enough weddings to see that all the makings of an explosion are there.
On the other hand, she isn't a bridezilla at all. Actually, she may be the most laid back bride I've ever seen/dealt with.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Oh my...

If I'd sent anything like that to my bridesmaids they would have told me where to go and with good reason. What is wrong with people?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh my...

Came to post this...good Lord, what is wrong with people.

Quote:
A very good friend of mine is in her brother's wedding soon.

A recent email from the bride (her future SIL) denoted that maids will be lined up "skinny to fat."

Yes, really.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
If I received that email, I wouldn't have to wait until Wednesday to respond. I would tell her that not only would I not be standing up in her wedding but she doesn't need to bother sending me an invitation.

I'd love to know how many of her "friends" agreed to that.
I just saw that on FB. I'm still trying to fathom how anyone would say "yes, I'd love to be your Bridesmaid!" after reading it!