GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,458
2 members and 1,456 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 02-09-2014, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Should the national organization tell the group the answers to the last two questions? I could not imagine joining an organization without knowing these two things upfront. I find it kind of old that KBG is not telling the group these things. With regards to having to spend $10,000ish to cover the cost of colonization, well that would turn me off right away. I've been looking at engineering sororities and learning about the process of colonizing a group of one of those three organizations and have never heard of having to pay to get the sorority to colonize.
I did read the expansion guide on KBG website ( hey I've been snowed in for three days now). I find it interesting that a group would require so many specific things. Like paying for hotel for 6 officers, airfair ect, IDK it just seems weird to me and if I was in the OPs shoes I would be weirded out by all the money requirements.

Are there any other sororities that are not part of the NPC that are not a major based or religious based group?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnpgopenguins View Post
Should the national organization tell the group the answers to the last two questions? I could not imagine joining an organization without knowing these two things upfront. I find it kind of old that KBG is not telling the group these things.
I would not interpret the OP's "looking into" as thinking that anyone from KBG has been in touch with anyone in her group, officially or non-officially. I mean I'm "looking into" new carpet for my rec room but that doesn't mean 1-800-588-2300 EMPIRE (today) has their truck pulled up outside my door.

And pretty much every sorority has a colonization fee.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnpgopenguins View Post
Are there any other sororities that are not part of the NPC that are not a major based or religious based group?
NPHC. Service sororities. Locals.

I can't think of any other national, non-special interest sororities that aren't council affiliated.

Edit: Wikipedia has a list that might be helpful.

Last edited by WhiteRose1912; 02-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I also wanted to add that Beta Sigma Phi is not based on religion or major. That might be something of interest to the OP as BSP has some college campus chapters.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I mean I'm "looking into" new carpet for my rec room but that doesn't mean 1-800-588-2300 EMPIRE (today) has their truck pulled up outside my door.
Thanks for getting the jingle stuck in my head.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would not interpret the OP's "looking into" as thinking that anyone from KBG has been in touch with anyone in her group, officially or non-officially. I mean I'm "looking into" new carpet for my rec room but that doesn't mean 1-800-588-2300 EMPIRE (today) has their truck pulled up outside my door.

Nice analogy. I'm having visions of the old man with the glasses, and yes that jingle is stuck in my head.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I was under the impression that the OP's local sorority and KBG were already in communication with each other. But I could have made a mistake in my impressions.

And I guess I learn something new everyday.
DNP
Old 02-09-2014, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I also wanted to add that Beta Sigma Phi is not based on religion or major. That might be something of interest to the OP as BSP has some college campus chapters.
yeah, I knew there were others out there, I just can't seem to think today.
DNP
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, as ree-Xi was right with I may be focusing on the wrong questions. I should be asking what kind of support do ΚΒΓ chapters receive from HQ.

And we have been in touch with ΚΒΓ about extension, but as this would be a big step we have to do our research and then vote on it. Some of these questions I asked would have been ask by my EC to them.

A lot of my questions have been answered, even ones I would have never thought of asking! Now I'm just curious about the king of support from head office chapters would receive. Are there any ΚΒΓ that can answer this question? I know I can ask HQ, but asking here might get a more honest response. Also, for those in Canada in any other national or NPC organization, what sort of support are you receiving? What should I expect from HQ? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm just unsure where I would find these answers on here.

Thank you in advance!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas View Post
The NPC dropped the Christian faith requirement in the 50s or 60s. And Iota Alpha Pi suffered since they were largely a Jewish organization and labeled as such and thus had a decline in membership. To back up my sister and others, KBG was never in the NPC but has been trying to last I heard.
NPC, as far as I can tell, never had a Christian faith requirement. Perhaps you're talking about the religious based organizations that became associate members in the late 1940s and full members in the 1950s when the AES organizations joined NPC.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding the whole "faith vs. NPC" issue, while the NPC might not have required its members be Protestant-only, many sororities were Protestant-only. Was this written into their constitutions? I can only speak for Beta Sigma Omicron, as I have read its constitution. At one point, only Protestants were allowed membership. (The majority chapters of BSO joined ZTA in 1964.)

Looking at KBG's wikipedia entry, some of the chapters that closed did so in the latter part of the 1960's, when Greek life started to decline in general:

ALPHA, St. Louis University, 1947- 1967
BETA, Marquette University, 1917- 1968
ZETA, Loyola University New Orleans, 1961-1966.

If you are worried about chapters closing, look at Findlay (2002- ???), Franklin & Marshall's (2003-2008) and Frostburg (2007-2013). Some research on GC will lead you to at least one thread on F&M's KBG closure.

Compare the closing of three chapters with the chartering of 12 chapters, including St John's in OCt 2013.

Good luck!

The perpetual bonds of friendship
Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Luchia, I am a Alumni of Kappa Beta Gamma, if you have any questions about KBG I would be glad to help answer them for you!!!

-Kappabetagam

Kappa Beta Gamma 'Til I Die
Old 06-06-2014, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama3delta View Post
If you are worried about chapters closing, look at Findlay (2002- ???), Franklin & Marshall's (2003-2008) and Frostburg (2007-2013). Some research on GC will lead you to at least one thread on F&M's KBG closure.
Ask and infophiles will share: Kappa Beta Gamma/Kappa Delta
Old 06-06-2014, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

MaryPoppins, while those closures did occur, they were all for very different reasons at each chapter, and Kappa Beta Gamma has been growing significantly over the past five years. To continue to quote a thread on chapters that closed before our current International Executive Board, and a chapter that closed due to low retention/recruitment is not needed.

Kappa Beta Gamma 'Til I Die
Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappabetagam View Post
MaryPoppins, while those closures did occur, they were all for very different reasons at each chapter, and Kappa Beta Gamma has been growing significantly over the past five years. To continue to quote a thread on chapters that closed before our current International Executive Board, and a chapter that closed due to low retention/recruitment is not needed.
Well, bumping a nearly four-month-old thread wasn't really needed either. Ditto for trying to school an established GC member on proper posting etiquette when you have only three posts yourself.